Potomac River Paddle, Sunday, April 6, 2008, 10 AM

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 7:28 AM
      At our paddling location, on Sunday, April 6th, it will be a sunny
      day, with a high temperature in the mid sixties. The sunrise will be
      at 6:47 AM and the sunset will be at 7:41 PM. There will be a light,
      generally easterly wind that will be at about 4 MPH.

      Regarding the present river level, at our paddling location, the
      upstream gauge is at 2.83 feet and the downstream gauge is at 3.41
      feet. The observed hydrologic prediction values show no increase
      between the present reading and the day of our paddle.

      Please join us on this relaxing flatwater kayak and canoe trip. We
      will meet at the Shepherdstown Boat Ramp in West Virginia this Sunday
      at 10 AM. All are welcome. Below are the trip details.

      We will start at the 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of
      North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a
      leisurely and scenic paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a
      healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles). The current therein is very
      gentle. We will go up-river for five miles, take a break, and then
      return down-river for five miles, and the trip should last about six
      hours. We will stop for a meal along the way. On this beautiful
      stretch of the Potomac, one can go for many miles and see nothing but
      the splendor of nature, both flora and fauna. Please bring a camera
      if you can.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point:

      From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD
      through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the
      Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over
      Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North
      Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned
      public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any questions, please contact me directly. Godspeed.

      On our web site, in the Files section, as well as cold weather safety
      guidance, we have a satellite photo of the trip: