Trip Report - Shepherdstown to Snyder’s Landing & Return - 12-1-2007

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2007
      We had a great paddle last Saturday. It was cold, but we did well.
      We saw three eagles in flight, as well as other animals, notably the
      Creatures With An Attitude (CWAA) that regularly hang out on the
      river.

      The Rural Family of the Week Award was won by the Lady who runs an
      angler's outfit in Harper's Ferry. I asked her if she was an angler,
      and she said she ain't never been to Great Britain. Her handmade,
      wooden, five-person boat was decorated for Christmas. We have a
      photo of her and her vessel on our web site.

      The river looks so much different this time of year. It reveals a
      seasonal change that shows nature in an autumnal perspective. Almost
      as if it is ready to go to sleep.

      The city of Shepherdstown, with downtown only a few blocks from the
      boat ramp, is now all lit up and decorated for Christmas. The old
      streets, small stores, and cozy coffee shops look amazing, and it is
      a great place to walk around at night after the paddle.

      Our posse started from the dock at the old Shepherdstown Gauging
      Station, which lies across the river from Lock 38 of the C&O Canal,
      and headed upstream on our aquatic adventure to Snyder's Landing,
      where we had a fantastic lunch, courtesy of Coalminer's Daughter.

      It was a great adventure, with a fantastic group of paddlers. We all
      had fun, enjoyed a good workout, and had a fabulous meal. We will,
      naturally, have another trip on the People's River next weekend, our
      first snow paddle of the year.

      The pictures have been posted in an album entitled "12-1-2007" in the
      Photos section of our web site at: