Trip Report (7/29/2007), Brunswick Campground to Weverton and Return

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Sunday's six-mile adventure turned out to be great. An early morning
      shower ended before we began, and we were done before an evening
      shower took place. Timing is almost everything.

      We met at the Sheetz in Brunswick, had some MTO coffee, then went to
      the Brunswick Campground, just above Gravel Point and across the
      river from the Shimmey Ferry. We paddled against the current and
      over two sets of rapids all the way to the Weverton area, and finally
      stopped at the first major set of rapids below Harper's Ferry.

      During the northbound paddle, we went beside the Log Jam at Lock 30
      of the C&O Canal, passed Waltmans Ferry, and floated by the abandoned
      Gold Mine at the mouth of Dutchman Creek, which is across from the
      Old Smith Ferry. We passed over the New Addition ledges, and, too,
      went beside Paynes Ferry and Stumps Landing. We then went around
      Falls Island, turned right as we rounded Paynes Landing, and made our
      final upriver stop below the Old Marble Cutting Mill. Hobo Jungle
      was just below us, and quite active down river. We took in the
      sights at Monk Mountain, and watced an eagle watching us. Finally,
      at the Class Two rapids, we found a family in a semi-serious duel
      with a rare Scarpa Serpente.

      After a break we headed back to the Brunswick Campground, where a
      surprise birthday party awaited the paddlers, since one was at the
      low end of 50 and another was at the high end of 50.

      The pictures from the trip have been uploaded to our web site.