Fic: One Good Turn

  • Jan AQ
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      This was just added to my C2 Group PS2: New Authors and Unknown
      Stories. I think lostdreamer added it- thanks!

      One Good Turn
      by empathicsiren

      Author's Summary: Yes, yes, yes, it's another Snape save Harry from
      the horrible abuse of the Dursley's story, with a sprinkle of
      devastating illness and a side order of Snape mentoringprotecting
      Harry. Hopefully, though, this one will have a few original twists
      and turns.

      PG13/R WIP 3 chapters

      Jan's notes: These are just my personal opinions and anyone is
      allowed to disagree of course! Sorry if I seem a little too praising
      of this fic but I really liked it and it's 6 am and I'm still up so
      forgive me >.<. I would say just go read the fic if you like extreme
      emotional stories as I do. :) I think that the story was done with
      finesse so far... a little rough to be called a work of art but it is
      still impressive. Only read this next paragraph if rationalizing and
      classifying stories does not ruin them for you.

      This is one example of one of my favourite kind of fics. The author
      melds good writing, extreme events, classic characterizations, angst,
      exploring psychological consequences and self impossed necessities
      with the skillfull understanding of how people act with specific
      circumstances. I read all the reviews and can understand how some
      people would not understand Harry's reasoning and why he did certain
      things but to me it was almost perfect (a little off with something I
      can't quite explain)- I could very well see Harry acting that way, it
      feels more REAL than the books... very well done.

      I will warn you that there is some neglect and abuse of Harry by
      Vernon... I didn't find it extreme but if you can't stand whipping of
      any sort stay away from certain parts in chapter 2. The author also
      does write SS/HP slash stories but I don't think (I hope) that this
      story will turn out that way or there would have been a warning.
      Also, I believe that this story started out with an R rating but the
      author lowered it to PG13. I personally think it's a PG13 story but
      who knows what's to come.

      I give it four frogs.

      http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2099079/1/

      Ta ta,

      Jan
    • lostdreamer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
        Yep, that was me who added it. It really is a good story..and the
        authour does normally write slash..but...this one isn't supposed to
        go that way.

        I'm off to work or I'd write a longer response here, but I highly
        recommend this story.
        --lostdreamer

        --- In PotionsAndSnitches@yahoogroups.com, "Jan AQ" <jan_aq3@y...>
        wrote:

        > This was just added to my C2 Group PS2: New Authors and Unknown
        > Stories. I think lostdreamer added it- thanks!
        >
        > One Good Turn
        > by empathicsiren
        >
        > Author's Summary: Yes, yes, yes, it's another Snape save Harry from
        > the horrible abuse of the Dursley's story, with a sprinkle of
        > devastating illness and a side order of Snape mentoringprotecting
        > Harry. Hopefully, though, this one will have a few original twists
        > and turns.
        >
        > PG13/R WIP 3 chapters
        >

        > Jan's notes: These are just my personal opinions and anyone is
        > allowed to disagree of course! Sorry if I seem a little too
        praising
        > of this fic but I really liked it and it's 6 am and I'm still up so
        > forgive me >.<. I would say just go read the fic if you like
        extreme
        > emotional stories as I do. :) I think that the story was done with
        > finesse so far... a little rough to be called a work of art but it
        is
        > still impressive. Only read this next paragraph if rationalizing
        and
        > classifying stories does not ruin them for you.
        >
        > This is one example of one of my favourite kind of fics. The author
        > melds good writing, extreme events, classic characterizations,
        angst,
        > exploring psychological consequences and self impossed necessities
        > with the skillfull understanding of how people act with specific
        > circumstances. I read all the reviews and can understand how some
        > people would not understand Harry's reasoning and why he did
        certain
        > things but to me it was almost perfect (a little off with something
        > can't quite explain)- I could very well see Harry acting that way,
        it
        > feels more REAL than the books... very well done.
        >
        > I will warn you that there is some neglect and abuse of Harry by
        > Vernon... I didn't find it extreme but if you can't stand whipping
        of
        > any sort stay away from certain parts in chapter 2. The author also
        > does write SS/HP slash stories but I don't think (I hope) that this
        > story will turn out that way or there would have been a warning.
        > Also, I believe that this story started out with an R rating but
        the
        > author lowered it to PG13. I personally think it's a PG13 story but
        > who knows what's to come.
        >
        > I give it four frogs.
        >
        > http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2099079/1/
        >
        > Ta ta,
        >
        > Jan
      • Caroline Peterson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
          Yes, it is really good, I read the first 3 chapters of it.

          I found that other story with your title. At least the story isn't the
          same. Her's is slash.

          Carrie
        • Starangel
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
            I have read this story in my free time the whole day today. (I had more than usual. hehe) and I will second or is it third...that. It is a very good story so far...and only being 3 chapters...

            wrote:

            > This was just added to my C2 Group PS2: New Authors and Unknown
            > Stories. I think lostdreamer added it- thanks!
            >
            > One Good Turn
            > by empathicsiren
            >
            > Author's Summary: Yes, yes, yes, it's another Snape save Harry from
            > the horrible abuse of the Dursley's story, with a sprinkle of
            > devastating illness and a side order of Snape mentoringprotecting
            > Harry. Hopefully, though, this one will have a few original twists
            > and turns.
            >
            > PG13/R WIP 3 chapters
            >

            > Jan's notes: These are just my personal opinions and anyone is
            > allowed to disagree of course! Sorry if I seem a little too
            praising
            > of this fic but I really liked it and it's 6 am and I'm still up so
            > forgive me >.<. I would say just go read the fic if you like
            extreme
            > emotional stories as I do. :) I think that the story was done with
            > finesse so far... a little rough to be called a work of art but it
            is
            > still impressive. Only read this next paragraph if rationalizing
            and
            > classifying stories does not ruin them for you.
            >
            > This is one example of one of my favourite kind of fics. The author
            > melds good writing, extreme events, classic characterizations,
            angst,
            > exploring psychological consequences and self impossed necessities
            > with the skillfull understanding of how people act with specific
            > circumstances. I read all the reviews and can understand how some
            > people would not understand Harry's reasoning and why he did
            certain
            > things but to me it was almost perfect (a little off with something
            > can't quite explain)- I could very well see Harry acting that way,
            it
            > feels more REAL than the books... very well done.
            >
            > I will warn you that there is some neglect and abuse of Harry by
            > Vernon... I didn't find it extreme but if you can't stand whipping
            of
            > any sort stay away from certain parts in chapter 2. The author also
            > does write SS/HP slash stories but I don't think (I hope) that this
            > story will turn out that way or there would have been a warning.
            > Also, I believe that this story started out with an R rating but
            the
            > author lowered it to PG13. I personally think it's a PG13 story but
            > who knows what's to come.
            >
            > I give it four frogs.
            >
            > http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2099079/1/
            >
            > Ta ta,
            >
            > Jan

            Do you Yahoo!?
            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. - www.yahoo.com
          • twitchy_giraffe
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
              That looks like its going to be really good. *decides to hover
              around jan and lostdreamers' favourite lists to find good fic from
              now on*
            • Jan AQ
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
                LOL. Don't bother. My favourite's list on fanfiction.net has only 51 stories and only 21 of them are Harry Potter. I only add fics to my favs if I absolutely L-O-V-E-D it or if I thought the story/plot/whatever was really clever and different and I wanted to keep track of it.

                If you wanted some father/son Star Wars stories or are a DBZ and Fruits Basket fan then you could check out my favourites - otherwise I'd say just stick to the 5 frogs page on my website. ;) All the HP stories are on there anyway.

                LOL, sorry this email was just me procrastinating writing my story- time to get back to business, ;)

                Jan