Railfest and Lindy in the Park, New Year's Day, meet at 12:15 pm.

  • Jose G. Figueroa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      MetroRail opens New Year's Day in the afternoon and
      it's free to ride through Sunday. The El Orbits are
      playing 2-5 p.m. at the Hermann Park/Rice U rail
      station.

      Plan is to meet 12:15-12:30 p.m. at Laura's
      (Curlylady) who lives 15-20 minutes walking distance
      from the UH-Downtown rail station which is the
      northern end of the line. We will walk to the station
      and ride the train and enjoy the festivities which
      will be taking place at each of the stops (including
      the ribbon cutting for the new Main Street Square
      fountain which shoots choreographed water jets 40 feet
      into the air). Eventually we will arrive at the El
      Orbits station and Lindy in Hermann Park. BRING
      COMFORTABLE SHOES AND CLOTHING.

      That station is near the Museum of Fine Arts and some
      us will go there after the El Orbits to visit the
      spectacular "Heroic Century" exhibit which features
      200 paintings and sculptures from New York's Museum of
      Modern Art, including Van Gogh's "Starry Night" as
      well as legendary by Monet, Cezzane, Matise, Picasso,
      Miro, Kandinsky, Dali, Pollack, etc. (admission for
      this special exhibit and full access to all the
      exhibits is $10 on Thursdays, but it's so worth it).
      The Museum is open till 9 pm and we can also get
      something to eat there in the Cafe Express.

      Laura lives in Old Sixth Ward, immediately West of
      downtown near the Municipal Courts (where you pay city
      traffic/parking tickets).

      Laura's address is 900 Sabine #2, which is part of a
      group of four brightly colored houses surrounding a
      courtyard. She's in the PURPLE house at the back of
      the courtyard. Park on Decatur which dead ends at
      Sabine.
      Call Laura at 713-223-4455 (h), or 832-372-3104; or
      Jose at 832-725-1058 (I live down the street), if you
      need directions or you want us to wait for you. If the
      weather turns sour we can also car pool into Downtown.

      From the Southwest, take 59N (Downtown) to 45N. From
      45N, take first exit which is Houston Avenue. At the
      light turn LEFT on Washington. Go down to the third
      street which is Sabine (paved with turn of the century
      bricks), and turn LEFT (the Wherehouse bar is on the
      corner). Turn RIGHT on Decatur and park immediately
      anywhere on the street.

      From the South, take 288N to 45N and follow directions
      from this point as above.

      From North, take 45S (Downtown), to the Quitman exit.
      Turn RIGHT at the four-way stop. Then turn LEFT at the
      first light which is Houston. Continue for about 1/2
      mile to Washington and turn RIGHT on Washington and
      follow first set of directions as above from this
      point.

      From Southeast, take 45N, exit Houston Avenue and
      follow first set of directions above from this point.

      From West, take I-10E (Downtown), exit Studemont, turn
      RIGHT. Then Turn LEFT on Washington Ave. Sabine will
      be about a mile down on your right. Turn RIGHT onto
      Sabine and then another RIGHT on Decatur and park.

      Please see link below for map to Laura's:
      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=900+Sabine&city=Houston&state=TX&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map