Swing Dancing at Rice Hotel

  • Gloria Sanchez
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001

      Does anyone want to check this out if not tonight some other night?  Sounds rather interesting.  Will call for any possible dress code.

      The Billie Ledbetter Big Band is now the house band at the Rice Hotel downtown. Thus far they are scheduled to play August 1,8,15, and 22.  Billie called me to invite all the Houston dancers out tomorrow night for some great dance music in a historic setting. He also mentioned that on Aug. 8th there will be a buffet. The cover is around $8-$10. I don’t know what time the band starts playing. The Rice Hotel is located at 909 Texas, downtown with Sambuca’s.

      Has anyone heard them play before??

      Gloria

    • Hank Hauffe
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
        This sounds really good! Anybody out there thinking about checking this
        out??
        I was trying to call the Rice Hotel to check on existence, cover amount &
        times, but I couldn't find a phone number for the Rice Hotel. Anybody know
        if it might be listed differently these days?? -h
        --
        phone: hm/713.524.2412; wk/713.639.7366; fx/713.639.7374
        email: hhauffe@...

        > From: Dan Wallach <dwallach@...>
        > Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:51:10 -0500
        > To: PotatoChips <PotatoChips@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [PotatoChips] [Fwd: Swing Dancing on Wednesday Nights at the Rice
        > Hotel]
        >
        > Too bad I'll be out of town tomorrow. Everybody turn out and support
        > this!
        >
        > Dan
        >
        > POTATOCHIPS - Swing dancing, where, and when, in Houston
        > Login and Post - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Potatochips

        > From: Cristin Erin Moran <cristin@...>
        > Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 7:57 PM
        > To: RSDS-L@...
        > Subject: Swing Dancing on Wednesday Nights at the Rice Hotel
        >
        > Attention all swing dancers:
        >
        > The Billie Ledbetter Big Band is now the house band at the Rice Hotel
        > downtown. Thus far they are scheduled to play August 1,8,15, and 22.
        > Billie called me to invite all the Houston dancers out tomorrow night for
        > some great dance music in a historic setting. He also mentioned that on
        > Aug. 8th there will be a buffet. The cover is around $8-$10. I don't know
        > what time the band starts playing. The Rice Hotel is located at 909 Texas,
        > downtown with Sambuca's.
        >
        > If you have questions about this event please call The Rice Hotel. Please
        > do not reply to this email because I don't have any more information.
        > Thanks,
        > Cristin
        >
        > PS: I do not have the authorization to remove people from this mailing
        > list. If you wish to be removed, please follow the instructions on the
        > rsds website (www.ruf.rice.edu/~rsds) and you should be able to do it
        > yourself.

      • Pattykins
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001

           Yea, Billie Ledbetter used to be the cover band at Picasso.  I think that's great that we have a Wednesday nite venue since Rthym Room seems to be more flaky than not these days.  Does anyone know what's going on there?

          Patty

            Gloria Sanchez <gmsanchez@...> wrote:

          Has anyone heard them play before??

          Gloria

          Check us out: Houston Swing Out

          http://houstonswingout.org/

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

        • Lisa Chouinard

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
              They used to play for our Ballroom Evening at the J.

              Could be something to do on Wednesdays.
              Bethany

              >===== Original Message From PotatoChips@yahoogroups.com =====
              >Does anyone want to check this out if not tonight some other night? Sounds
              >rather interesting. Will call for any possible dress code.
              >
              >The Billie Ledbetter Big Band is now the house band at the Rice Hotel
              >downtown. Thus far they are scheduled to play August 1,8,15, and 22. Billie
              >called me to invite all the Houston dancers out tomorrow night for some
              >great dance music in a historic setting. He also mentioned that on Aug. 8th
              >there will be a buffet. The cover is around $8-$10. I don’t know what time
              >the band starts playing. The Rice Hotel is located at 909 Texas, downtown
              >with Sambuca’s.
              >
              >Has anyone heard them play before??
              >Gloria
            • Bonnie Lambourn
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
                Re: [PotatoChips] Swing Dancing at Rice Hotel Billie Ledbetter is great - especially for lindy. A real big band with trained musicians.  They used to play all the time - oh shoot I can't remember the name of the place - but the dance floor was a postage stamp - it was really a restaurant.  That was the only reason we didn't dance to them more. They played for an HSDS dance once I believe. I also want to know about dress code. Keep us posted.

                --
                Bonnie Lambourn <blambourn@...>

                on 8/1/01 11:28 AM, Gloria Sanchez at gmsanchez@... wrote:

                Does anyone want to check this out if not tonight some other night?  Sounds rather interesting.  Will call for any possible dress code.

                The Billie Ledbetter Big Band is now the house band at the Rice Hotel downtown. Thus far they are scheduled to play August 1,8,15, and 22.  Billie called me to invite all the Houston dancers out tomorrow night for some great dance music in a historic setting. He also mentioned that on Aug. 8th there will be a buffet. The cover is around $8-$10. I don¹t know what time the band starts playing. The Rice Hotel is located at 909 Texas, downtown with Sambuca¹s.

                Has anyone heard them play before??

                Gloria

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001

                  I have 4 tickets to tonight’s game.  Anyone interested.   “e” me and let me know.

                  Gloria

                • Karl Ulbrich
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
                    I'll check it out -- sounds like fun! More details
                    appreciated. I'll just wear khakis to be on the
                    dress-code safe side.

                    See y'all there? (I'll make it there a little after 10 PM)

                    Karl
                  • Pattykins

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
                        Who went? how was it?

                        --- Gloria Sanchez <gmsanchez@...>
                        wrote: > Does anyone want to check this out if not
                        tonight
                        > some other night? Sounds
                        > rather interesting. Will call for any possible
                        > dress code.
                        >
                        > The Billie Ledbetter Big Band is now the house band
                        > at the Rice Hotel
                        > downtown. Thus far they are scheduled to play August
                        > 1,8,15, and 22. Billie
                        > called me to invite all the Houston dancers out
                        > tomorrow night for some
                        > great dance music in a historic setting. He also
                        > mentioned that on Aug. 8th
                        > there will be a buffet. The cover is around $8-$10.
                        > I don’t know what time
                        > the band starts playing. The Rice Hotel is located
                        > at 909 Texas, downtown
                        > with Sambuca’s.
                        >
                        > Has anyone heard them play before??
                        > Gloria

                      • Gloria Sanchez
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001

                          Yes, who went?  Give us the scoop.  I’ll be there next week.

                          Gloria