Chocolate Bar and Luther at The Big Easy TONIGHT!!

  • Hank Hauffe
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2012
      Swing at The Chocolate Bar
      dancing at The Chocolate Bar

      Thursday . February 2, 2012
      8:00 - 10:00pm
      The Chocolate Bar . 2521 University Blvd. near Kirby in beautiful Rice Village
      http://www.theoriginalchocolatebar.com
      NO COVER

      DJs with sweet swing, and sweet chocolate, are playing at The Chocolate Bar in Rice Village on Thursday at 8pm.
      Bring your sweet tooth to support the Chocolate Bar and your dancing shoes to have a great time. (Please note that the owner has requested that we not bring any food or drink in; including water bottles). Come out and lets get this venue going again!

      ...Maps and more at http://secondcupswing.com

      . . . . .

      Luther & The Healers
      dancing at The Big Easy

      Each Thursday* . including this Thursday, February 2, 2012
      9:30ish - after 1:00am
      The Big Easy . 5731 Kirby Drive near The Rice Village
      (South of Bissonnet, between Firestone and Domino�s Pizza)
      http://www.thebigeasyblues.com
      NO COVER

      Come check out The Big Easy on Thursdays for Luther and The Healers!
      Luther (http://www.lutherandthehealers.com) is one of our very favorite local Blues/Swing dance bands and we inevitably have a great time there. There are often dancers there for some great dancing and no more smoke! :)

      We also sometimes catch them at Capone's (http://www.caponeshouston.com) and other places around town.

      *The last Thursday of the month has The Blues Society Jam (http://www.houstonbluessociety.org) instead of Luther. That can perhaps be a little more hit & miss but it's often still great dancing - plus you get an education about other incredible blues performers in town.

      ...Maps and more at http://secondcupswing.com

      . . . . .

      ESSENTIAL SWING DANCE WORKSHOP

      SWING SWITCHEROO
      . Activities of Role Reversal for Leads & Follows .
      Learn How the Other Half Dances!

      Saturday . February 18, 2011
      4.0 Hours . 10:00am - 2:00pm
      . Limited enrollment .

      Registration is NOW OPEN!!

      Second Cup Swing is hosting another special Essential Swing Dance Workshop for any dancer who wants to better feel and understand the source of their dance. This midday 4.0 hour lead/follow workshop will focus on experienced leads learning what it is to follow, and experienced follows learning what it is to lead.

      It has been said that one of the best things you can do to improve your leading � is to learn to follow. The same can be said to improve your following � learn to lead. Not only will this give priceless insight (we'll tell you the price below) into how to better perform your own role, but it opens up new possibilities of play between the partners.
      It's fun and you'll be a better lead and follow!

      Prerequisites:
      . You have some comfort with your own swing role of Lead or Follow
      . You want to improve your Lead or Follow but better understanding the other role!
      . You do have shoes and a smile :)

      ...Registration and more details at http://secondcupswing.com

      . . . . .

    • Hank Hauffe
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 9, 2012
        Swing at The Chocolate Bar
        dancing at The Chocolate Bar

        Thursday . February 9, 2012

        Each Thursday* . including this Thursday, February 9, 2012
        9:30ish - after 1:00am
[...]

        The workshop is likely moving to February 25th and the Taft Dance has moved to February 24th.
        I expect we'll have confirmation by this weekend. Sorry about the inconvenience.

        . . .

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2012
          . . . . .
          SWING AT THE CHOCOLATE BAR
          dancing at The Chocolate Bar

          Thursday . June 7, 2012

          Each Thursday* . including this Thursday, June 7, 2012
          9:30ish - after 1:00am
[...]

          TODD YANNACONE WORKSHOP
          Saturday & Sunday, June 9 &10.
          SSQQ Dance
          1431 W. 26th St
          Houston, TX 77008
          $100 for the weekend/$50 per day (pay at the door)

          SCHEDULE:
          FRIDAY, June 8th: Dance Party @ Troy & Vanessa's (9-12)*
          https://www.facebook.com/events/314892555260039/

          SATURDAY, June 9th:
          9-11:30am - Dancing 101
          11:30am-12:30pm - Lunch
          12:30pm-3pm - Dancing 102

          Evening Dance @ Continental Club 2nd Floor (9-1am) [$10 cover]*
          https://www.facebook.com/events/284208305008636/

          SUNDAY, June 10th:
          9-11:30am - Dancing 103
          11:30am-12:30pm - Lunch
          12:30pm-3pm - Dancing 104
          Followed by regular HSDS classes & dance @ Melody Club

          . . . .
          Todd Yannacone is by far one of the best lindyhoppers in the world today. We are excited to have the opportunity tobring him to Houston for an intermediate level workshop this June. Come and see what all the hype is about!
          . . . .

          For questions or if you are interested in a private lesson with Todd,
          please contact Anna (at anna.karina.whitmire@...) or Alexis (at alexis.hinch@...)

          * Dances not limited to workshop attendees

          . . . . .
          For updates on our dances and lessons as well as other swing highlights, please see
          http://secondcupswing.com or call Hank at 713.702.3138.
          Click-to-give at http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive
          . Second Cup Swing ~ "Savour the dance"

          sent from my iPad

        • Hank Hauffe
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2012
            Please check out our website at http://secondcupswing.com where
            you'll find all the info in this email, and more, in a much more accessible form :D
            . . .
            Below you see more information on:
            -Chocolate Bar TONIGHT
            -Luther at The Big EAsy TONIGHT
            -The Taft Dance this TOMORROW
            -The Demitasse "Dancer's R' DJs" dance SATURDAY
            -Monday's Práctica & "Espresso Breakout"

            To see more of what's happening Monday thru Sunday, visit http://secondcupswing.com/events.

            . . . . . . . . . .
            SWING AT THE CHOCOLATE BAR
            dancing at The Chocolate Bar

            Thursday . June 14, 2012

            Each Thursday* . including this Thursday, June 14, 2012
            9:30ish - after 1:00am
[...]

            TaftSTREET
            TAFTStreet
            The next Second Cup Swing Dance at Taft St. Coffee is this FRIDAY, JUNE 15th.

            Intro lesson included from 7:15-8:30 pm
            $4.00 cover

            • each 3rd Friday of the month (w/rare exceptions)
            • great beverages & snacks in the coffeehouse
            • lovely friendly Houston dancers!
            • intro/warm-up lesson included
            • fantastic Houston D.J.s!

            The music is DJ's choice but will tend to begin more traditional... and get groovier as the night goes on :)

            Come join us!

            ...Maps & More at http://secondcupswing.com

            . . . . .
            DEMItasse
            DemiTASSE
            It's always good at Demitasse and we have it again this SATURDAY, JUNE 16th!! Hope you can stop by :)
            It's freee so please be a good customer &/or drop a $dollar in the tip jar :) - all the details are athttp://secondcupswing.com - CHECK IT OUT!

            IF You're Interested in DJing for us the be sure and take advantage of this!!
            . . .
            THIS SATURDAY is another special "DANCERS R' DJs" night so bring a favorite tune or up to a 5 tune danceable mini-set — on disc, laptop, or iPod that you can play for us to dance to!! :)

            *We've instituted a few changes to offer you a fuller DJ experience so please note that we'll be asking you about what you've chosen and we'll play 3 to 5 songs of your set depending on time and other factors.
            We'll be announcing that it's Your Set and you'll stay "in the booth" just like any other DJ. From there you and our host DJ can watch the dancers, see how they respond. Note what seems to work out well and what seems to fall a little flat. You can then use that information to inform your set next time. We hope you'll take this experience, learn from it, and want to explore being a regular DJ once you feel a little more confident.

            Remember,
            • You are playing for everyone there, not just yourself, so your considered opinion that it is really something danceable is important.
            • The songs you pick should also have a little variety and not be "all real slow" or "all really fast"
            • and if you have an unproven song try to sandwich it between a couple of songs you think are probably winners.

            Once your set is over, you can share with our host DJ how you think it went. He/she will be watching with you and may have some tips.
            Good luck and Thanks!

            . . .
            Just a few things to keep in mind regarding... Demitasse Dance Etiquette:
            . Demitasse has gotten very popular and it's great to see all the people having fun there! As a result we can have a very crowded dance floor. Out of consideration for your partner and for others on the floor around you, please understand what it is to dance with frame so that not only is your dancing more comfortable and more responsive, but you're also less likely to be crashing into your neighbors.
            . If you ever do large swing-outs, please do so with care.
            . However, I do sometimes say that we dance "Bumper Swing" so do try to maintain good humor on the floor :)
            ... see some more fun and helpful etiquette suggestions at http://secondcupswing.com/demi.

            Either come early or while you're there check out their dining! In particular the Clay Pot Rice Bowl, which comes in meat or vegan options, has been really popular! :)

            ...Maps & More at http://secondcupswing.com

            . . . . .

            ScS Essential Swing Dance class . a Guided Swing Práctica
            "This connected Swing is the most responsive and versatile partner dance you can learn!"

            part II . Essentially Swing . mondays . 8:30 - 10:30pm
            ~ building our swing from the source . a guided swing práctica ~
            Now that we're dancing our swing with connection and energy / frame, flow & counterbalance — there is so much more Jitterbug & Lindy that we can do as we explore, add, embellish and create!!
            . It's Drop-in so just come by any time you can!

            ~ Now, during the Práctica we'll also offer a breakout session of about 15 minutes per evening to explore some extra moves and techniques for experienced dancers looking to add a little more variety, feeling, expression and technique to their dance. We're calling it Espresso Breakout and it's drop-in for just $2.

            Still $3 per evening for most and is a Walk-In class so you can come anytime!!
            See the rest of the details - and the discounts for ScS, HSDS & RSDS Swing (there's even a discount if you get a Latte or something from the Barista!) - here!
            . Espresso Breakouts are $2.00 ~
            . Prácticas are ongoing at Taft St. each n' every Monday evening with rare exception ~

            . . . . .
            at Taft Street Coffee (like the monthly Taft Dance)
            2115 Taft - Houston 77006
            . East of Montrose Blvd., between W.Grey/Welch & Drew/Fairview

            excerpt from our "part II" description:
            Borrowing the idea of a "práctica" from Tango — it's not just a dance, nor is it a class with a teacher in the middle all the time... it's a guided practice dance. Each night will have a lot of music and we'll be coming around throughout the class to help in any way we can. In addition, we'll offer a few selected highlights, for both leads and follows, to help us explore the dance more - and you'll be encouraged to share as well.
            While still essentially Swing, this class takes our connection and explores how we can use it to move together and dance to a whole variety of music!

            ...More at http://secondcupswing.com

            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

            .
            . .
            . . . ALSO .

            Beatniks!
            shopping for swing apparel

            Tuesday - Sunday
            11:00am - 6:oopm
            709 East 11th Street . near Studewood in the beautiful Houston Heights*
            heightsbeatniks@... . "Heights Beatniks", on Facebook .
            http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=113162505411123
            832-390-1122

            Beatniks is now open for your shopping pleasure!!

            *Parking is available in driveway and on nearby streets (East 11 ½ St, East 10 ½ Street, Beverly, Oxford).

            Our friends at Beatniks have great clothing and dance shoes... check them out! -h:)

            . . .
            Two other popular places for retro cloths and shoes are the resale shops Vintage Oasis at 1512 Westheimer, and The Way We Wore around the corner at 2602 Waugh Drive.

            . . . . .

            CALLING ALL DJs! - You want to DJ at our dances?
            If you'd like be on the list to DJ some at our dances then please contact me and I'll be happy to fill you in how you can apply. -thx:)

            . . . . .

            Both Potatochips and the HSO Front Page/Calendar/&Forum will have info about dancing opportunities coming up and any ideas that might be out there for TONIGHT!
            Also see Houston swing happenings at ScS's Twitter at http://twitter.com/SecondCupSwing.
            This is not swing but... Click-to-give at http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive

            FUTURE EMAILS will be principally or wholly plain text - not much different from what you would receive on PotatoChips. In addition the new website does a lot better job of presenting the information for you.
            -h:)

            . . . . . . .
            PLEASE HELP us out by spreading the word and we look forward to seeing you at the next Taft, this Friday, June 15th, and at Demitasse each Saturday :)

            Thanks,
            -hank:)
            P.s. Check out HSDS (http://hsds.org) for lessons and dancing from the group that for over a decade has been wholly dedicated to keeping swing alive in Houston.
            . . . . .
            Houston swing happenings on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SecondCupSwing

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 21, 2012
              Please check out our website at http://secondcupswing.com where
              you'll find all the info in this email, and more, in a much more accessible form :D
              . . .

              Below you see more information on:
              -Chocolate Bar TONIGHT
              -Luther at The Big EAsy TONIGHT
              -The Demitasse dance SATURDAY
              -ScS Pr�ctica & "Espresso Breakout" MONDAY

              To see more of what's happening Monday thru Sunday, visit http://secondcupswing.com/events.

              . . . . . . . . . .
              SWING AT THE CHOCOLATE BAR
              dancing at The Chocolate Bar

              Thursday . June 21, 2012

              Each Thursday* . including this Thursday, June 21, 2012
              9:30ish - after 1:00am
[...]

              It's always good at Demitasse and we have it again this SATURDAY, JUNE 22nd!! Hope you can stop by :)
[...]

              ScS Essential Swing Dance class . a Guided Swing Pr�ctica
              "This connected Swing is the most responsive and versatile partner dance you can learn!"

              part II . Essentially Swing . mondays . 8:00 - 10:30pm
              ~ building our swing from the source . a guided swing pr�ctica ~
              Now that we're dancing our swing with connection and energy / frame, flow & counterbalance � there is so much more Jitterbug & Lindy that we can do as we explore, add, embellish and create!!
              . It's Drop-in so just come by any time you can!
              . 2.5HRS this week!

              ~ Now, during the Pr�ctica we'll also offer a breakout session of about 15 minutes per evening to explore some extra moves and techniques for experienced dancers looking to add a little more variety, feeling, expression and technique to their dance. We're calling it Espresso Breakout and it's drop-in for just $2.

              Still $3 per evening for most and is a Walk-In class so you can come anytime!!
              See the rest of the details - and the discounts for ScS, HSDS & RSDS Swing (there's even a discount if you get a Latte or something from the Barista!) - here!
              . Espresso Breakouts are $2.00 ~
              . Pr�cticas are ongoing at Taft St. each n' every Monday evening with rare exception ~

              . . . . .
              at Taft Street Coffee (like the monthly Taft Dance)
              2115 Taft - Houston 77006
              . East of Montrose Blvd., between W.Grey/Welch & Drew/Fairview

              excerpt from our "part II" description:
              Borrowing the idea of a "pr�ctica" from Tango � it's not just a dance, nor is it a class with a teacher in the middle all the time... it's a guided practice dance. Each night will have a lot of music and we'll be coming around throughout the class to help in any way we can. In addition, we'll offer a few selected highlights, for both leads and follows, to help us explore the dance more - and you'll be encouraged to share as well.
[...]

              *Parking is available in driveway and on nearby streets (East 11 � St, East 10 � Street, Beverly, Oxford).

[...]

              PLEASE HELP us out by spreading the word and we look forward to seeing you at the next Taft on Friday, July 20th, and at Demitasse each Saturday :)

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2 9:16 AM
                Please check out our website at http://secondcupswing.com where
                you'll find all the info in this email, and more, in a much more accessible form :D
                . . .

                Below you see more information on:
                -New Session of the ScS Essential Swing Dance Classes TONIGHT
                -NO Bacchus this Tuesday
                -Chocolate Bar THURSDAY
                -Luther at The Big EAsy THURSDAY

                To see more of what's happening Monday thru Sunday, visit http://secondcupswing.com/events.

                . . . . .
                Jitterbug to Lindy . ESSENTIAL SWING DANCE CLASSES

                Mondays . JULY 2nd - AUGUST 6th, 2012
                . The first class of the session is just $10 and that will be applied to your session's tuition when you come back the second week of the session to register. ~ No partner necessary... all you need to do is just show up! :)
                . We'll begin registration this week (don't forget cash or a check) so if you can come a little early it'll help us start the class sooner.

                . . .
                ScS Essential Swing Dance class . A GUIDED SWING PRACTICA
                "This connected Swing is the most responsive and versatile partner dance you can learn!"

                part II . Essentially Swing . mondays . 8:30 - 10:30pm
                ~ building our swing from the source . a guided swing pr�ctica ~
                Now that we're dancing our swing with connection and energy / frame, flow & counterbalance � there is so much more Jitterbug & Lindy that we can do as we explore, add, embellish and create!!
                . It's Drop-in so just come by any time you can!
                . The Practica includes showing everyone at least one fun move each class
                ~ Now, during the Pr�ctica we'll also offer a breakout session of about 15 minutes per evening to explore some extra moves and techniques for experienced dancers looking to add a little more variety, feeling, expression and technique to their dance. We're calling it ESPRESSO BREAKOUT and it's drop-in for just $2.

                Still $3 per evening and is a Walk-In class so you can come anytime!!
                See the rest of the details - there's even a discount if you get a Latte or something from the Barista! - here!
                . Espresso Breakouts - $2.00 ~
[...]

                Blues on Tuesday will resume next week on July 10th where they will have their monthly Free Lesson.

                . . . . .
                SWING AT THE CHOCOLATE BAR
                dancing at The Chocolate Bar

                Thursday . July 5, 2012

                  Each Thursday* . including this Thursday, July 5, 2012
                  9:30ish - after 1:00am
[...]

                  . We are entering our second week of the session so if you'd like to join us then please come on by this Monday... come a half-hour early if you can! No partner necessary... all you need to do is just show up!
                  . We'll finish the full registration this week (don't forget cash or a check) so if you can come a little early it'll help us start the class sooner.

                  . . .

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 15, 2012
                    Please check out our website at http://secondcupswing.com where
                    you'll find all the info in this email, and more, in a much more accessible form :D
                    . . .
                    Below you see more information on:
                    -Chocolate Bar TONIGHT
                    -Luther at The Big EAsy TONIGHT
                    -The Taft Dance this TOMORROW
                    -The Demitasse "Dancer's R' DJs" dance SATURDAY
                    -Monday's Pr�ctica

                    To see more of what's happening Monday thru Sunday, visit http://secondcupswing.com/events.

                    . . . . . . . . . .
                    SWING AT THE CHOCOLATE BAR
                    dancing at The Chocolate Bar

                    Thursday . August 16, 2012

                    Each Thursday* . including this Thursday, August 16, 2012
                    9:30ish - after 1:00am
[...]

                    The next Second Cup Swing Dance at Taft St. Coffee is this FRIDAY, AUGUST 17th.

                    Intro lesson included from 7:15-8:30 pm
                    $4.00 cover

                    � each 3rd Friday of the month (w/rare exceptions)
                    � great beverages & snacks in the coffeehouse
                    � lovely friendly Houston dancers!
                    � intro/warm-up lesson included
                    � fantastic Houston D.J.s!

                    The music is DJ's choice but will tend to begin more traditional... and get groovier as the night goes on :)

                    Come join us!

                    ...Maps & More at http://secondcupswing.com

                    . . . . .
                    DEMItasse
                    DemiTASSE
                    It's always good at Demitasse and we have it again this SATURDAY, AUGUST 18th!! Hope you can stop by :)
[...]

                    PLEASE HELP us out by spreading the word and we look forward to seeing you at the next Taft, this Friday, August 17th, and at Demitasse each Saturday :)

                    Thanks,
                    -hank:)
                    P.s. Check out HSDS (http://hsds.org) for lessons and dancing from the group that for over a decade has been wholly dedicated to keeping swing alive in Houston.
                    . . . . .
                    For updates on our dances and lessons as well as other swing highlights, please see
                    http://secondcupswing.com or call Hank at 713.702.3138.
                    Click-to-give at http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive
                    . Second Cup Swing ~ "Savour the dance"

                  • Second Cup Swing
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Feelin' the Blues Dance Workshop
                      November 3-4 at the Zilkha residence (more details online)
                      Saturday: 11-1:15pm Fundamentally Blues & 2:30-4:45pm Stylin' Your Blues
                      Sunday: 1-4:30pm Conversational Blues
                      Sign Up Online - http://www.austinsocialdance.com/feelin_the_blues.html
                      RSVP on Facebook

                      Saturday Night: Live Blues at the Continental Club
                      As a bonus, the Continental Club will be hosting blues legend Texas Johnny Brown on Sat Nov 3 for a live concert and dance. It will be even more fun after learning some blues dance basics!
                      Get Tickets Online RSVP

                      New to Blues?
                      For those of you completely new to Blues, it's a partnered dance style that is relaxed, improvisational, and danced to Blues music. Blues can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it! Watch some Blues Videos from past competitions and performances.

                      If you want just a taste, you can sign up for just the first part, Fundamentally Blues, offered on Saturday 11am-1:15pm. Or if you want to get a better understanding of the dance, you're invited to sign up for all of the classes.

                      Cheers,
                      Campbell