RE: [PostCardMailArt] Sunprinting fabric etc

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008

      It is sunny and hot here today, but very breezy too.  I am doing a batch of sunpainting and some more rust dyeing using some silk scraps from the thrift store and some other white fabric that I don't know what it is, a polyester maybe, feels like table cloth.  I have to keep spraying the painted fabric cuz it is drying out so fast.  I might let the rust dye soak over night.  So far because the wind blew my 'unknown' fabric, even tho I had it weighted down, I don't think I am going to be happy with it but won't know till I've heat set it in a couple of hours.  I want it to sun for about 2 more hours.

      I forgot about the inks, and I'm not sure where they are.  Something to do tomorrow maybe.

      hugs sue   california

      To: postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com
      From: vickieh122@...
      Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:35:02 -0400
      Subject: RE: [PostCardMailArt] Sunprinting fabric etc

      First of all the sun has to shine....Raining here today....Vickie

      Hi Vickie,

      I sunprinted some fabric a few weeks ago.  it was so fun with surprising results.

      The first batch I did I left the fabric flat and put coarse salt on it hoping I would get streaks and swirls, but I only got 'dots' where the salt was, and the objects I used to print just didn't print, got some lighter areas.

      Next batch I just did sunpainting.  Scrunched up the fabric to get folds and valleys and those fabrics came out the best, love the results and even those were a bit of a surprise too.  I've been wanting to do it some more but haven't gotten around to it.

      I used to play bingo (don't laff) b4 we moved a few months ago and have lots and lots of ink daubers.  I have played with them daubing on the fabric and liked the results.  Now I'm thinking of doing a combination ink and acrylic paint experiment.  The daubers are cheaper than buying inks for fabrics.  So if I get the results that I'm happy with, I'm gonna buy more daubers!

      A few weeks ago I did some rust dyeing and love the results of that experiment too.

      trying new techniques is so so fun.

      Vickie be sure to keep us posted on your sunprinting attempts!

      hugs sue

    • Victoria Swann
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hey what do you use for rust dying?We have a subcontractor that works for our company who makes iron gates,Hmmmm wonder if he has iron filings laying around.Do you have to treat the fabric?How can you make sure there is no metal left in the fabric?I could probably make yards and more yards of rust dyed goodies....I already have my hand dyes I could overdye....Vickie

        To: postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com
        From: wraez@...
        Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:00:02 -0700

        To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
          Vickie, I am green with envy that you have easy access to rusted items!

          When we moved my husband threw away all the rusty nails, coiled wire, etc...I didn't know about rust dying in July when we moved.

          I found some rusted heavy metal  stakes on the side of the house here, guess it was used to make the concrete sidewalk forms.  That's all I have been using so far.  Now I've asked hubby to keep an eye open for rusty items when he is out and about.

          Look in the files section under 'fun techniques' there should be several links on rust dyeing.  It is easy, fun.  I just hand washed my fabrics to rinse out any sizing that would act as a resist.  The dyeing can be done with salt...I haven't tried that technique yet.  I use 50/50 vinegar and water.

          The links will explain it in detail and show photos.

          I saw someone on ebay and etsy getting big bucks for rust dyed fabric...shhhh don't tell anyone else, cuz I might actually try to supplement my income selling it myself, LOL  Don't want too much competition!

          I'm not sure how thin the iron filings would be, but if he had other rusty stuff that would be great.  You can do a search on YouTube too...I saw a young woman on there show how to do it too.

          My friend went to visit her sister last week and climbed up on the roof and took down the iron rooster weather vane.  She showed me her rust dyes from it and they were awesome!  HINT:  don't do it on any area where you don't want rust stains, LOL..she did it on her sisters pool area and scrubbed and scrubbed hoping her sister wouldn't see the rust stains!  We both used black garbage bags to keep the dyeing process and we don't know if the vinegar or the rough edges of the rust items put holes in it but the bag leaked and even I got rust stains on my sidewalk.  Now I do it in the yard where there's no grass.

          hugs sue

          To: postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com
          From: vickieh122@...
          Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:28:16 -0400

          To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com
          From: wraez@hotmail. com
          Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:00:02 -0700

          To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
            I went to a quilt show last weekend.  There was some rust dyed fabric for sell.  Ohhhhhhhh my  was it expensive...  $10.00 for half a fat quarter.    18X10 for $10 bucks!  I think u should start selling it Sue.  You will be rich!!

            Keep on Smile'n
            Deb

            From: vickieh122@hotmail. com
            Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:28:16 -0400

            To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com
            From: wraez@hotmail. com
            Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:00:02 -0700

            To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
              Sue,

              I've never heard of this technique.  Do you have a link to visit that would explain the how tos?

              Mary

              First of all the sun has to shine....Raining here today....Vickie

              To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

              From: vickieh122@hotmail. com
              Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:14:02 -0400
              Subject: RE: [PostCardMailArt] Vickie and paintstix

              I only opened my painstix for the "natty" swap.I went to Joann's and bought some inexpensive stencils.I just pulled out some black fabric and peeled the skin off of the  end and started playing.
              I am going to play some more now that I am caught up with my swaps.Perhaps some freehand painting.I rubbed thepaintstick on the stencil and then used a stencil brush to sort of blend and pull the color onto the fabric.Next, I am going to do some sunprinting. I would be happy to help anyone who would like to explore paintsticks. ..Vickie

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
                Hi Mary, I do but I checked the links at group and I don't have it there.  I'll get something into the links sometime tomorrow...gotta round up my info on it.

                I can tell you that you use acrylic paints watered down a bit otherwise the paint makes the fabric very stiff.  The fabric starts out very wet and then you apply the paint/s however you desire.  to get a printing, the idea is to put down something like a real or silk leaf with something to weight it down, or use metal 'charms', etc.  As the sun dries the fabric it pulls the color out from under the object making the fabric darker around the edge and leaving the fabric lighter making a 'print' of the object.  Some people have had great success.  I only tried the printing once and it didn't work very well, my items were too small and they just left small light blotches on the fabric, not a bad result but definitely NOT a print.

                I prefer the 'scrunched fabric' method better right now anyway.

                I'll see what I can round up to put in the files sometime tomorrow.

                hugs sue

                To: PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com
                From: bluskyehost@...
                Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0700

                To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Here are directions using Setacolorhttp://www.dharmatrading.com/info/sun_paint.html.....Vickie

                  To: postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com

                  From: bluskyehost@ yahoo.com
                  Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0700

                  To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                    From: bluskyehost@...
                    Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0700

                    To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008

                      >Avril said......You've got me saluting the flagpole here,.

                      >Deb said.....YOU LOOK MORE LIKE U DOING A HAPPY DANCE.. NOOOOOO

                      YOU GRUNK'N GIRLFRIEND!......"GOOOO AVRIL.. GOOOOOOAVRIL   GOOO AVRIL...."

                      Morning Bunny
                      Keep on Smile'n
                      Deb

                      From: bluskyehost@ yahoo.com
                      Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0700

                      To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008

                        From: bluskyehost@ yahoo.com
                        Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0700

                        To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                          Thanks Vickie, great directions.  I hadn't seen this one b4.  I've added it to our links in group.

                          hugs sue

                          To: postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com
                          From: vickieh122@...
                          Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 00:59:27 -0400

                          Here are directions using Setacolorhttp: //www.dharmatrad ing.com/info/ sun_paint. html..... Vickie

                          To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                          From: bluskyehost@ yahoo.com
                          Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0700

                          To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                            Hi Ladies.... I posted lots of good tutorial links at group in links, check them out at your convenience.

                            Always happy and anxious to learn new techniques and share them.  The links section at PostCardMailArt (PCMA) is the perfect place to expand our creativity.  You are all welcome to post any links that you know of .... just please be sure not to duplicate any links already posted.

                            hugs sue

                            To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                            From: bluskyehost@ yahoo.com
                            Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0700

                            To: postcardmailart@ yahoogroups. com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 3, 2008
                              --- In PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com, Sue Balchak <wraez@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Ladies.... I posted lots of good tutorial links at group in
                              links, check them out at your convenience.

                              > Always happy and anxious to learn new techniques and share them.
                              The links section at PostCardMailArt (PCMA) is the perfect place to
                              expand our creativity. You are all welcome to post any links that
                              you know of .... just please be sure not to duplicate any links
                              already posted.

                              > hugs sue

                              Sue,

                              I took a quick peek at these. These are gorgeous ideas. I may try
                              some for PCs! I also need to try the monster mess.

                              Thanks for posting these links.

                              Mary