July lottery cards all here

  • Graeme and Marina Kitto
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2014
      I would like to thank all five ladies who kindly entered the July lottery swap, and sent their cards to me - Mary Lou, Beverly, Melody, Sue B and Sheree.  Such a diverse lot of cards, my first overseas ones.  I think they are all lovely, thank you so much.  I'm going to make an open box out of Lutradur (I went to a class a couple of weeks ago in what uses it can be put to), to hold the cards in.  It will have pride of place in my lounge, so I can enjoy the cards frequently.

      It seems we do things a little differently here in NZ.  It surprised me that the cards arrived in cellophane envelopes, and one in a real envelope. Here we send them as made, and I didn't realise I should maybe do it like you all seem to, when I sent some cards off to members recently. I like the stamp to have the postmark on it, and none of the NZ ones I have received have had any issues from being sent "nude"or "raw", if I can put it that way?  I'm wondering if it's a requirement of the US and Canadian postal systems for them to be in an outer layer, or just a personal choice thing?

      Cheers
      Marina
      New Zealand
    • sheree_sews_fab
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2014
        Marina - no requirements here in USA.  I sent yours in envelope because it was being sent so far away, I thought it might add more protection.
        When we send within US in a cellophane envelope it automatically must have extra postage as "special handling" .... so PC goes from postcard rate up to a letter rate.
        Embellishments and thickness often make the postcards have a two ounce rate too.
        I'm glad to see your enthusiasm as a lottery winner!
        Sheree in Michigan
      • Beverly

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 13, 2014
            I think it goes from letter cost to letter plus 0.21 to mail in the cello envelope in the US.

            Beverly
            Sent from my iPad

            On Aug 13, 2014, at 9:03 PM, "shereesews@... [PostCardMailArt]" <PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Marina - no requirements here in USA.  I sent yours in envelope because it was being sent so far away, I thought it might add more protection.
            When we send within US in a cellophane envelope it automatically must have extra postage as "special handling" .... so PC goes from postcard rate up to a letter rate.
            Embellishments and thickness often make the postcards have a two ounce rate too.
            I'm glad to see your enthusiasm as a lottery winner!
            Sheree in Michigan
          • sewnancie
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 13, 2014

              It's purely a choice, not a requirement.

              I prefer to send and receive 'naked' postcards, complete with postmarks... and smudges, if that's how they arrive. I've never had any problems with it. IMO, those marks are verification that the card has actually traveled by mail across country and around the world. I do sometimes use a cello envelope if the card is delicate or has 3D embellishments (which is not often, for me); and as Sheree pointed out, it seems more protected if it's going all the way across the ocean.

              So...

              Marina, send your postcards the way you usually do!

              --Nancie V in Austin TX

            • da_susu
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 14, 2014
                I like to do embellishments so the postal service is much happier with the envelopes. I have them hand stamped and then but them in the envelopes. I shared an order some time ago with someone on the Art4Mail group and got a 100 for a great price. Would be happy to do that again.Susu B. in VA

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 14, 2014

                    Lately, when I've mailed a postcard internationally ($1.15) in a cello envelope, they have tacked on an additional non-machineable surcharge ($ .21) for the envelope. Not all the clerks charge it this way...but some do!

                    I have sent a few postcards naked across the ocean and they seem to have arrived in good shape. However, I do feel better when they are protected by a cello envelope. ;-)

                    --Nancie V in Austin TX

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 15, 2014
                      I have asked our post office about the extra charge for the cello and they didn't know why. My postmistress said once she has hand stamped it and it is in the envelope it is good to go. She does not charge me extra for international but I pay $,49 for domestic PC postage. I went to a different PO just this week and the postmaster was concerned that they would be damaged and would need extra postage for special handling but once he saw me put one in the cello, he was happier and charged me less ($.34) for the domestic cards. He was impressed with the pcs and said he had not seen one before. So just as you said Nancie it is subject to which PO you happen to use.I do ask for the hand stamping because I understand "collectors" want them that way.Susu B.
                    • sewnancie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 16, 2014

                        According to DMM 133 First-Class Mail Rates

                        -

                        1.5 Nonmachinable Surcharge

                        The nonmachinable surcharge is charged per piece and applies to letter-size pieces that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics in 101.1.2..... as follows:

                        Nonmachinable Criteria

                        [6-2-14] A letter-size piece is nonmachinable if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.1.2 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

                        a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.

                        b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, enclosed in any plastic material, or has an exterior surface made of a material that is not paper. Windows in envelopes made of paper do not make mailpieces nonmachinable. Attachments allowable under applicable eligibility standards do not make mailpieces nonmachinable.

                        c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.

                        d. Contains items such as pens, pencils, keys, or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven; or loose keys or coins or similar objects not affixed to the contents within the mailpiece. Loose items may cause a letter to be nonmailable when mailed in paper envelopes; (see 601.3.3).

                        e. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).

                        f. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.

                        -

                        -

                        Notice item b) above...... "polybagged, polywrapped, enclosed in plastic material....etc."

                        Unfortunately (and irritatingly) having the stamp hand-canceled does not preclude a surcharge. Some members have rec'd postcards in cell envelopes marked Postage Due: $ .21 for non-machineable.  Not all clerks know how to handle our fabric postcards, and therefore we are quoted a lot of different rates. One clerk wanted to charge me a Parcel Post rate of over $2!

                        -

                        In many cases, our postcards are too thick to qualify as Post Cards, and thus the 1st-Class rate applies.

                        -