Postage rates

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013
      I was informed by the Post Office today that postal rates/stamps for areas other than Asia /Pacific region and "rest of the world" (USA , UK and Europe) have increased in price.
      The cost involved to "rest of the world" has been INCREASED by Au95 cents to Au$2.60.

      I will query this, but if this is the case I will not be sending too many POSTCARDS in the future, if any at all.

      MaureenC

      http://maureenc.wordpress.com/

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013
          Sue
          To say that I'm gobsmacked over such a large and sudden increase is definitely an understatement!
          Normally at this time of the year five and sometimes ten cents is shaved off the (normal) cost "because it's Christmas"
          Not this year though! Australia Post is making the Grinch look like Santa Claus!

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013

            Maureen, I'm sorry to hear that you're getting  priced out of PCMA. It's shocking how much you may pay for 1st class international mail!

            Another possible solution is to batch a few postcards in a large flat envelope, and send them to an intermediary in the US who will mail them individually. You'd have to check and see if this would save any money at all.

            --Nancie V in Austin TX

            ---In PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com, <wraez@...> wrote:

            oh my goodness gracious Maureen, I can understand your concern over this increase in postage fees!  I hope you will consider staying and chatting with us, sharing what you are up to etc. and MAYBE joining 2 swaps a year or wyswm, since the 1-1 you can control the number of PCs that you swap... think about it, hate to lose you!

            I was informed by the Post Office today that postal rates/stamps for areas other than Asia /Pacific region and "rest of the world" (USA , UK and Europe) have increased in price.
            The cost involved to "rest of the world" has been INCREASED by Au95 cents to Au$2.60.

            I will query this, but if this is the case I will not be sending too many POSTCARDS in the future, if any at all.

            MaureenC

            http://maureenc.wordpress.com/

          • lynn j
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013
              Maureen, I hate to see this, those dirty buggars.  I hope you stay with us too even if you aren’t able to send pc’s.  We would miss you terribly!  Lynn in wa.
            • sewnancie
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013

                Well, several of us mailed PCs today! I imagine our colorful cards crisscrossing North America and drifting overseas....what a joy!  We'll see who gets a postcard first, lol!

                As for $2+ postal rates, that's steep. If it happened to me, I too would have to reconsider how much pleasure I am getting from the exchanges. I'm sure I would want to continue but maybe at a slower rate to save money.

                Participating in only one swap/month = $6-9/month.

                ...Less if I participated in one swap per quarter.

                Sue suggested focusing on one-partner swaps (WYSWM) as Inge does. I think that's a good idea.  We usually set individual themes for WYSWM, but why not allow it on all group swaps, as well-?  Some will sign up as usual to make 2-3 cards, while others opt to make just one PC. Would this cause problems?

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013
                  Nancie, I'm not sure I understand this ...

                  <
                  We usually set individual themes for WYSWM, but why not allow it on all group swaps, as well-?  Some will sign up as usual to make 2-3 cards, while others opt to make just one PC. Would this cause problems?>

                  Do you mean to have more 'no theme' swaps, such as one that closed recently?  Please elaborate, thanks.

                  Subject: [PostCardMailArt] Re: Postage issues....and WYSWM

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013
                    Sue
                    I think Nancie is suggesting that maybe a WYSWM could be added to whatever theme is being used for a group swap.

                    For example with the current "HOLIDAY RECYCLED swap which closes December 6 ,I could add a WYSWM using the same theme, and hope someone will swap a one on one with me?

                    In fact, seeing I've done NO Christmas sewing yet I'll go add a WYSWM to the database NOW  :-)
                    I can't let the Grinch ruin my Christmas can I     ROFL

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013
                      Oh I see, but of course that is always an option and no problem at all.  Several times someone has missed out on a swap cuz it closed b4 they added their name and then posted a WYSWM for the same theme ... yup perfectly all right and hope that others take advantage of it too!

                      There are not a lot of rules and regs here ...
                      just ... Once accepted to PostCardMailArt, please do not 'lurk' by hiding in anonymity, join in the chatter and participate in a swap within a 2 month period and at least once every 6 months afterward.

                      We are here to have FUN!

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013

                        Yes, this is exactly what I meant to say. For some reason, I thought a 1:1 swap was frowned upon when a group swap was going on. I'm happy to hear that it is a viable option for those who only want to trade one card in a particular theme.

                        Maureen, the discussion about Snow Globes was posted while you were still on your cruise. I may have jumped to a premature conclusion!

                        You had asked to be added to the group swap, and when you were too late for it, I offered to trade directly with you. Knowing your access to the internet was limited, I took the liberty of adding it to WYSWM. Surprise!

                        ....so take your time making a Snow Globe PC. There is no deadline, and I will like it whenever it arrives in Texas. :-)

                        --Nancie V in Austin TX

                        Maureen summed it up well:
                        I think Nancie is suggesting that maybe a WYSWM could be added to whatever theme is being used for a group swap.

                        For example with the current "HOLIDAY RECYCLED" swap which closes December 6 ,I could add a WYSWM using the same theme, and hope someone will swap a one on one with me.
                      • maureencurlewis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013
                          Aw Nancie!
                          You're such a sweet lady...Thank you!
                          I saw your comment about mailing me a card and thought "OOOPS! Had I had another senior moment"" ROFLM
                          I'm relieved you gave an explanation.

                          Just before I went away I bought a circle cutter.......left it in I thought OBVIOUS place.
                          It's so obvious I can't find it!!
                          On a similar subject, I was so happy today to find my missing memory stick which had half the photos I'd taken whilst away.
                          NO! It wasn't in an obvious place  :-) Senior moments are getting at me.. Back to the treasure hunt for the cutter

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013
                            We do NOT do any frowning here at PCMA, LOL ! (other than out of frustration when we can't find things in our sewing room etc)

                            subject: [PostCardMailArt] Re: WYSWM...and Maureen