Help with shaker PCs

  • sewnancie
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013

      I'm attempting to make my first "shaker?" postcard....the kind with loose bits moving freely beneath a clear film. Can someone give me pointers?  I have a sheer fabric that I want to use and I'm still looking for mylar confetti shapes to match the theme. Am I on the right track?

      Pictures would be a big help. I tried to google it but I must not have used the right term for this kind of postcard.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013
        The only real tip I can give you is to be sure that what you use will not melt if you have to apply any heat!  I made a shaker card about a year ago and when I fused the backing on for the address, the 'confetti' glued itself together, LOL.  I still have that PC somewhere, it did NOT turn out...

        you could use beads, seeds (if in US), that kind of thing, and use a tight sheer fabric to cover or a tight tulle.

        Subject: [PostCardMailArt] Help with shaker PCs

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013
          Nancie
          When I made shakers a few years back with FAT, most everyone used clear vinyl!
          It gave a
          glassy globe effect, and nothing leaked through the fabric.
          I'll try find my cards and take some pics for you

          MaureenC

          http://maureenc.wordpress.com/

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013
            Nancy,
            When I make shaker cards, I fuse the front and back fabrics first. Then place the
            tulle on top allowing about an inch on all sides for holding on and guiding the card.
            I use a satin stitch for the edges....starting with one of the 6” sides, around the 4”and
            the back up the 6”. I put the beads and confetti through the 4”side that has not been
            sewn. Then close up that side with the satin stitch. My satin stitch is not a heavy tight
            stitch. I think 6 on my Janome.
            I get a lot of my confetti from Confetti.com but lately have found some at the local
            dollar store as well as craft stores like Hobby Lobby.
            It took many attempts to decide how much “stuff”to put in. Too much takes away
            from the chosen print and too little looks skimpy.
            Sherry

            Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:40 AM

              Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:40 AM

              I'm attempting to make my first "shaker?" postcard....the kind with loose bits moving freely beneath a clear film. Can someone give me pointers?  I have a sheer fabric that I want to use and I'm still looking for mylar confetti shapes to match the theme. Am I on the right track?

              Pictures would be a big help. I tried to google it but I must not have used the right term for this kind of postcard.

              --Nancie V in Austin TX

            • sewnancie
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013

                Thanks for the tips. Keep 'em coming!

                I get what Sherry is saying and it's very helpful information.

                "...how much “stuff” to put in. Too much takes away from the chosen print and too little looks skimpy."

                I want to offer these shaker cards as a postcard class with an Easter theme. I wonder how I can pre-arrange the right amount for each student-?

                I have a sheer overlay printed with sparkly pastel eggs which I bought last year on sale. I found some mylar confetti today at Party City-- one bag on the clearance rack and one in the princess aisle-- generic shapes but all the right colors.  I was planning to use a plain fabric underneath and let the Easter eggs and floating confetti be the focus. So maybe the proportion of confetti isn't so critical-?

                --Nancie V in Austin TX

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013

                   Success! I just made my first shaker postcard. (Is that the correct term?) It is very plain but that's good-- it will be a quick introduction to the technique in a class.

                  I'm very pleased with my bargain confetti shapes: pastel hearts, butterflies and dots. Even though they are not expressly Easter images, I probably couldn't have found anything more perfect in color (pink, silver and blue, just like the sheer print).

                  Thanks, Sherry, for the advice about a wide zigzag around the edge. I decided to stitch around it twice for a satin-stitch effect and it looks very nice.

                  The photo is not great, as the sheer fabric reflexs too much light.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013
                    Forgot to mention......having three of the four sides sewn
                    I can look at the card, shake it to see if I want to add or
                    subtract the amount of confetti. Did you add some
                    beads? I tried to send you a couple of pictures but
                    centurytel wasn’t cooperating. Will give it another try.

                    When I did classes, we made shaker cards.

                    Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 10:40 AM

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 24, 2013

                        Like Sue

                        I was also thinking in terms of globes: like snowstorms!

                        Hence the use of clear vinyl.

                        Maureen

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 25, 2013

                          You both have Snow Globes on the brain because of our swap. Unfortunately, I did not do the shaker technique for those (but I think you'll like them anyway ;-).  Sherry, I did figure out that I could "test" the amount of confetti by holding the side of the PC closed and giving it a shake. You're right; too much tends to clump together.

                          It doesn't take much confetti to make these cards! I will have more than half of it left after class so I may be making a bunch of shaker cards myself. I have recently fallen in love with sheer overlays for postcards, so it will work out great.

                          --Nancie V in Austin TX