Stash to the rescue!

  • sewnancie
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2013

      Remember my vow to use the stuff I've already saved for postcards? I was supposed to rummage around and find the necessary materials *before* I signed up for a swap. Oops! I forgot to do that....

      So this morning I was looking for a snow scene for the Snow Globes swap, but  not finding anything. I thought I would have to manufacture a scene in applique-- ach, so much work.  ...But at the last minute I found some cut motifs left over from last year's Xmas postcard class and they will work well.

      I didn't find anything suitable for the 12 Days of Christmas....sigh.....that is, until I started rummaging around in my black scraps looking for a gray dot. Who woulda thunk that I'd find black prints which will pass for turtledoves and French hens! Seeing them reminded me of another scrap of bird fabric which might work for calling birds.

      Ladies, if you haven't signed up for these swaps, there is still time. I'll bet you have something 'just right' in your stash if you go looking. Note: the Snow Globes swap will close very soon (Friday).

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2013
        Nancie, thanks for your input regarding how you found the 'perfect' fabrics for your swap, LOL.  There are fabrics in my stash perfect for snow globes but have not signed up yet.

        I wish I had someone to help me with my stash!  I've been going thru all my bins of fabric and it is so hard to decide which bin a fabric should go in ... by color?  That is easy if it is just color, but what if it has prints / novelties?  I put them in a bin  labeled 'kids fabrics' 'bold / brights' 'gals' 'celestial' 'Hawaiian prints' ... that was one large bin.  Asian fabrics went in one large bin.  Floral in another, and yet another has fall/autumn leaves and veggies.  On and on ... but then I find stuff that is perfect for fussy cutting for PCs, many of these are also in the kids fabric etc.  I just have too much fabric.  WAY to many scraps, some in a bag labeled 'for PCs' and bags labeled 'crumbs' 'strings' etc.  I really do not like my system, there has to be an easier way!

        I have a small box with fussy cut and fused stuff for PCs and another with the same but for Christmas PCs.

        Subject: [PostCardMailArt] Stash to the rescue!

[...]

        --Nancie V in Austin TX

      • sewnancie
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2013

          Sue, I have the same problems you have. No system covers all the categories that we 'fiber artists' use. My advice is to file a fabric where you will *most likely* look for it.

          For example:  if you tend to hunt for, let's say, Hawiian prints more often than you hunt for oranges, then you should file it under "Hawaiian fabric."

          Also, make as few categories as possible. Consolidate them. It's easier to find what you need if you don't have to dig through dozens of bins.

          If you're not using your strings and scraps as fast as they accumulate (well, who does?!) then consider reducing the amount you keep. Give some away. There are always people at my guild ready to claim such things from the Free Table. You could swap it on-line or simply give to anyone who is willing to pay the flat-rate postage.

          I too have a small drawer full of fusible shapes, already cut out. Sigh, those little shapes are so easily overlooked and forgotten about! A lot of mine are left over from my postcard classes. Too good to throw out, but when will I use them all?? Maybe we should have a Collage theme in the spring, with the express purpose of using up some of these motifs! ....make the postcard like a bulletin board with all kinds of interesting items stuck to it. I could personally make 6 or 7 postcards like that, lol.

          --Nancie V in Austin TX

          Sue wrote:
          I wish I had someone to help me with my stash!  ...it is so hard to decide which bin a fabric should go in ... by color?  ... 'kids fabrics' 'bold / brights' 'gals' 'celestial' 'Hawaiian prints'...
          I just have too much fabric.  WAY to many scraps...I really do not like my system, there has to be an easier way!
        • Darlene
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2013
            well, you have my address Nancie.  Anything you don't use can and will be happy in my home.  hahahaha

            Darlene

            --
            Want something unique and beautiful?

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2013
              gee Nancie, I like thinking that we are special ... fiber artists, LOL... it is true we gather more stuff than the typical quilter!

              I have been giving fabric away to a friend and may end up giving her some of my scraps too, tho I do hate to part with them... I've been called the scrap queen at my old quilt guild.

              ohhhhh another great idea for a swap ... collage / bulletin board PCs!  gonna have to make note of it and if by chance you notice that I've forgotten, give me a kwik kick to remind me!

              While continuing today with my inadequate stash system, I did find a number of fabrics for the D swap.  I finished one, and working on another, thinking it could be a Lottery PC.  but having conniptions using my gold metallic thread.  it worked fine on one portion of the PC but then doing all kinds of crazy things for the rest.  I've cleaned out my bobbin area, rethreaded and rethreaded and did more cleaning and still NO go.  Going to have to change threads I fear, but giving up for tonite.

              Subject: [PostCardMailArt] RE: Stash to the rescue ...or rescue me from my stash

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2013

                OK, maybe this isn't a solution...just more of the same problem...but let me throw out an idea:

                I am part of a small Yahoo quilting group with many international members; in fact the owner is a Brit living in France.  The group has twice held a "World Wide Swap" in which each participant packs a small box or manila envelope with stuff from stash and sends it to another participant. There are no restrictions on what to send or how much of it. A package might include FQs, scraps, a set of blocks, a handmade gift, or even yardage.

                In my box I got a beatiful 18" Mariner's Compass block made from hand-dyed fabrics...which was great because *I* will never make one myself, ha! I'm now using it in the center of a medallion quilt. I also received scraps and FQs and a tiny stuffed mouse (so cute).

                Perhaps we should have a similar exchange of postcard-making materials?  Admittedly, this kind of swap is a gamble since you don't know what you'll be getting in exchange. There's also the issue of additional postage. But it's a good way of passing on our extras, or items we're tired of using. In return, we may get some new inspiration.

                I know this is the wrong time to bring it up, so close to the holidays, and it will be a while before we consider doing an exchange like this. Nevertheless, it would be good to hear some feedback about the idea. Do you like the idea, or hate it?

                --Nancie V in Austin TX

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 14, 2013
                  Nancie I do like it and agree that because of the holidays, sometime next year would be a good time to do it if there is enough interest.

                  Would love to hear what others think of this. We would only need to send fateights instead of FQ, or smaller 5x7 cuts of fabric to use, applique stuff, embellishments, fibers etc etc etc.  I sure have so much in my stash of non cottons for PC use, way more than I could ever use, would be so happy to share, LOL.

                  A manilla envelope should not be too expensive to send ...

                  Subject: [PostCardMailArt] World Wide Swap