Welcome new member, Julie from NY

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2013

      Hi Mel, welcome to PostCardMailArt, aka PCMA!  Happy to have you join us and looking forward to swapping with you sometime soon.

      Please take a moment and introduce yourself to the group, let us know how long you've been creating PCs, any favorite techniques that you have etc.

      At your convenience, you can look thru all the photo albums to see a myriad of PCs that we've created over the years here at PCMA.

      You are encouraged to jump in and join any of the swaps that are open, as well as post a 'Will You Swap With Me', aka WYSWM, where you can choose any theme and any mail-by date ... just post a message with WYSWM in the subject line and what you want to swap, you can do as many as you like ... these are 1-1 swaps, meaning you only have to make one PC.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2013
        oops, sorry about that Julie, I copied part of a previous 'welcome' message and missed removing the other name!  not a good way to start out, my apologies ... I realized it as soon as I hit the send button!

        Subject: [PostCardMailArt] Welcome new member, Julie from NY

        Hi Julie, welcome to PostCardMailArt, aka PCMA!  Happy to have you join us and looking forward to swapping with you sometime soon.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2013
          Hi Mel
          A warm welcome to the  group: I hope you enjoy your time with us.
          I’m Maureen! Live in south east Queensland and have had a wonderful time since I joined the group about two years back.
          Everyone is so helpful and friendly, and I have learned so much from the chit chat that goes on.

          Hoping to swap with you soon
          Maureen in Woody Point
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 31, 2013
            Whoops! Looks like that shoulda been Julie (Sue's and my BAD   ROFLM)

            MaureenC

            http://maureenc.wordpress.com/

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2013

              Welcome to our crazy and creative little group Julie!   I've been here two years and am officially obsessed with collecting these fabric postcards.

              The nice thing is, you can join whatever swap theme suits your interests.  Funny, to me, they all seem enticing!  I hope to swap with you soon, meanwhile enjoy visiting all the photo folders and seeing some of the great stuff we've been swapping.

              ShereeSews in M!ch!gan

            • juliewasson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2013

                 Thanks!  I am trying to figure out this yahoo group thing.  I have been sending postcards forever but only making my own for a few years.  I love making fabric ones especially.  I am looking forward to joining some swaps soon.  I collect postcards with elephants and birds mostly and I have just started creating maxi cards (maximaphily - google it)

                Julie

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2013
                  Hi Julie, I had to look up maximaphily, first on Wikipedia and then google images ... so cool.  We've done 1 or 2 swaps titled 'Every Stamp Tells A Story' and recently been thinking of doing it again, probably in January.  Photos in link below ... this swap looks just like something you would be interested in, sounds like you have some fun stamps to use.

                  I am not a serious stamp collector but do save all canceled stamps that come into the house, and have to remind hubby not to throw those envelopes away until I can take off the stamps, LOL.  I have quite a few from my grandmother, both used stamps and lots of unused first day something or other from the US and she collected lots from Austria where she was from, from correspondence with friends and they would send her some too.  I don't think they have much value except they remind me of her.  So many stamps from other countries just seem so much more beautiful than alot we have in the US.

                  Reminder that you can set up a WYSWM for a bird or elephant swap!

                  and don't fret, lots of us are having issues with the new Yahoo, it can be frustrating but many features are better than the original.  Just ask questions and someone will pipe in with the answer!

                   Thanks!  I am trying to figure out this yahoo group thing.  I have been sending postcards forever but only making my own for a few years.  I love making fabric ones especially.  I am looking forward to joining some swaps soon.  I collect postcards with elephants and birds mostly and I have just started creating maxi cards (maximaphily - google it)

                  Julie

                • sewnancie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2013

                    Welcome, Julie!

                    I am intrigued by the maximum cards you mentioned. I had never heard of them!  I found this wonderful example pertaining to bridges:

                    http://bridge-maximumcard.blogspot.com/

                    Google Images shows several other types of maxi cards.

                    Are they commercial postcards; greeting cards; self-made cards? Some look like the typical tourist fare but others seem unlikely. It's interesting that the stamps are on the *picture* side of the postcard. Do you exchange these maxi cards or send them to yourself?...or merely get them cancelled and never mail them? How do you search out related cancellation imprints? Oh my, you've really piqued my interest!

                    I'm looking forward to exchanging fabric postcards with you.

                    --Nancie V in Austin TX

                     Julie wrote:
                     I have been sending postcards forever but only making my own for a few years.  I love making fabric ones especially.  I am looking forward to joining some swaps soon.  I collect postcards with elephants and birds mostly and I have just started creating maxi cards (maximaphily - google it)

                  • quiltalicious
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2013

                       Julie - I looked up maximaphily and found the wikipedia page that explains it all.  It sounds fascinating!  Do you apply the same concordance attempts when you send fabric postcards as well?  I DO look forward to exchanging cards with you soon!  - Anne

                    • juliewasson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 4, 2013

                        I hope to get my first finished maxi cards back from the post office this week.  They are of the new Inverted Jenny Stamps.  Now that stamp is a great story if you like stamps.  I love the "every stamp tells a story" photos.  Very cool idea.

                        ---In postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com, <quiltabeast@...> wrote:

                         Julie - I looked up maximaphily and found the wikipedia page that explains it all.  It sounds fascinating!  Do you apply the same concordance attempts when you send fabric postcards as well?  I DO look forward to exchanging cards with you soon!  - Anne

                      • Darlene
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2013
                          Hi,

                          welcome to the group Julie.  I never heard of the term maximaphily either.  You do this in fabric?  it will be interesting to try.  I am the naughty one this year as I got behind but they have so many fun themes, it is really hard to say no.

                          Darlene

                          --
                          Want something unique and beautiful?

                        • juliewasson