Re: Writing of fabric backs !#$%#@!/card stock rule

  • lynn j
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
      I know people don’t like the card stock but it works best for me and I like it.  If you want to make a rule about using/not using, please do so I know what is going on.  Thanks a bunch, Lynn in wa.
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
        Gosh I hate to make a rule about it ... how about this ... any that you make/send to me, please put fabric on the back?

        Subject: [PostCardMailArt] Re: Writing of fabric backs !#$%#@!/card stock rule

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
          And may I add my two bob’s worth to the debate:
          My preference is for an all fabric postcard too.

          Maureen in Qld
        • sewnancie
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013

             Well, if we're voting... I like fabric backs best, as well. But I won't refuse onewith a paper back, ha!  I also like my postcards mailed naked if possible, but the cello envelopes seem to de rigueur.

            --Nancie V in Austin TX

            ---In PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com, <postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            And may I add my two bob’s worth to the debate:
            My preference is for an all fabric postcard too.

            Maureen in Qld
          • sheree_sews_fab
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013

               Hi Lynn - well I've certainly sent many many cards out with postcard backings.  When I was new to this group I think it was the main way I finished them. To me the word "postcard" made it acceptable in my mind.  I even sent some with the tyvek like non-rip map paper on the backs!

               I have also received several from you and I have always admired how neat you do your card backs!  I like them all ways, all techniques, and all efforts are appreciated.

                There are only a few of us who dabble in card stock backings.  I think the front is most important anyway.  And I treasure each postcard I get, and surely don't want to send any of them back to the creator!!  ha ha

              ShereeSews in Michigan

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                  Sorry NancieCrying face

                  I used to make it a habit to mail my cards naked, but when the Post Office decided  (in their wisdom????) to change the  stamp backs to “lick them” rather than good sticky ‘adhesive, I thought that maybe the cello envelopes would keep the stamp in position.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                    Now there’s a thought!  TYVEK for the card reverse!
                  • sheree_sews_fab
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013

                     Today I played with the inkjet printer sheets of muslin.  It took me 2 hours to setup templates, shapes, fonts, print samples etc.,  I sure hope they iron on without disaster.

                    The only bad thing is now the muslin will cover over my pretty fabric printed backings.  Oh well, it might be worth the competition to those crappy felt pens I've struggled with.  Wish me luck.... ha ha especially if you are the recipient!

                    Sheree

                    Message 10 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013

                      We use lots of French words in the English language, such as lingerie, a la carte, apropos, chic, croissant...

                      I see 'de rigueur' in literature a lot, and I used to hear it a lot too. Sigh. To me it means that a practice has become so common that it's almost a requirement in the culture.

                      http://thesaurus.com/browse/de+rigueur

                      Message 11 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013

                        I've been thinking about this... The sticky adhesive is certainly stronger than the lick'em glue.

                        What if you ironed it after sticking it? Heat often makes sticky things stickier.

                        And then there's always an extra dot of glue you could add to the stamp.

                        But in the end, I'm not sure I'd trust it either.

                        Message 12 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                          Maybe an unwritten rule, rather than an exception?
                          When I first started  swapping fabric post-cards, the rule was for them to travel “naked”
                          UNLESS there were trims,etc. which “could be caught up in postal machinery”
                          Only then were cello envelopes used.

                          On another Postcard group I belong to, there is a woman who DEMANDS that cards to her be mailed, regardless in cello envelopes, because  ONE card she received
                          had been “marked” by machinery. Now to me, that is being picky!   Secret telling smile

                          Message 13 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                            Never thought of ironing over stamp, or even adding an sticky dot to anchor the stamp more firmly.
                            I must try remember to do so

                          • sewnancie
                            Message 14 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013

                              Maureen wrote: When I first started  swapping fabric post-cards, the rule was for them to travel “naked”
                              UNLESS there were trims,etc. which “could be caught up in postal machinery." Only then were cello envelopes used.

                              That is pretty much my personal rule. As I've said before, a little streak on a naked card has never bothered me me-- it's proof that the postcard travelled many miles to get to me. I'm always a little sad when I take a postcard our of the cello and it has no stamp or postal mark on it to indicate that it was ever mailed.

                              Message 15 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                                And Nancie
                                That is WHY when I send my cards in cello I go to my local Fabric card Friendly Post Office where they personally cancel the stamps and grizzle that they are  “making marks” on the cards!!
                                Open-mouthed smile
                                I am so lucky to have such great people looking after me, especially when I read some of the horror stories from  stateside.

                                Maureen

                              • Bev

                                  Message 17 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                                    In that case Bev
                                    I can say that my Whitework card (for you) has a fabric backing!!!  Open-mouthed smile

                                    Message 18 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                                      Maureen that is a cool idea ... tyvek backs ...

                                      Subject: [PostCardMailArt] RE: Re: Writing of fabric backs !#$%#@!/card stock rule

                                      Now there’s a thought!  TYVEK for the card reverse!

                                      Message 19 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                                        Sheree, you are lucky that your printer will print on tyvek, how about muslin!  I gave up with my printer long ago ... printed fabric is great idea ... you don't have to use muslin, you could still print on any fabric !  I'll have to see if my printer will print on tyvek ...

                                        Subject: [PostCardMailArt] RE: Re: Writing of fabric backs !#$%#@!/card stock rule [1 Attachment]

                                        [Attachment(s) from shereesews@... included below]

                                        Message 20 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                                          My Post Office wants the stamps on the outside of the cello.

                                          Beverly
                                          Sent from my iPad

                                          On Oct 5, 2013, at 10:40 PM, "Maureen Curlewis" <broomegal@...> wrote:

                                          And Nancie
                                          That is WHY when I send my cards in cello I go to my local Fabric card Friendly Post Office where they personally cancel the stamps and grizzle that they are  “making marks” on the cards!!
                                          <wlEmoticon-openmouthedsmile[1].png>

                                          Message 21 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                                            Thank you! :-)

                                            Beverly
                                            Sent from my iPad

                                            On Oct 5, 2013, at 11:39 PM, "Maureen Curlewis" <broomegal@...> wrote:

                                            In that case Bev
                                            I can say that my Whitework card (for you) has a fabric backing!!!  <wlEmoticon-openmouthedsmile[1].png>

                                            Message 22 of 28 , Oct 5, 2013
                                              I just did this on 2 of my Zentangle PCs ... I didn't have a current first class mail and needed .2 more ... had to use some really old, unused stamps ... I used glue on the back of them, ironed them down AND then I used modge podge around the edges.

                                              I don't know who got the one with 2 - 1 1/4 cent stamps on it ... I have NO idea how old those stamps are I didn't notice a date but I have quite a few more ...

                                              It has been mentioned b4 that I have a LOT of my grammas collection of stamps.  Most have no real value above what the stamp says.

                                              Message 23 of 28 , Oct 6, 2013
                                                Thanks Sheree, I appreciate your opinion.  I still don’t know what to do.  Lynn in wa.
                                              • sewnancie
                                                Message 24 of 28 , Oct 6, 2013

                                                  This just goes to show ya that postal clerks are all different....they'll tell you varying 'rules.'

                                                  If I don't like what I hear at one branch, I'll go to another one...most of the time, I get an entirely different opinion!

                                                  I agree with Maureen: I feel lucky to have the people I do at my local Post Office branch; they take care of me.

                                                  I too get all of my postcards hand-cancelled; it's simply my personal preference. The ones in cello envelopes are cancelled before being sealed. Mailman Bruce is very careful not to mar the pretty stamps with a cancellation mark-- he places it right at the edge of the stamp in the margins. But the mark is plainly readable on the fabric of the postcard.

                                                  --Nancie V in Austin TX

                                                  Message 25 of 28 , Oct 6, 2013

                                                    Lynn do what you feel like doing on the backs.  I plan to use occasional cardstock backs when I feel they work better.  Sometimes I feel like a nut..... I mean feel like a fabric back, and sometimes I don't!

                                                    ShereeSews.... even on card stock!  :)
                                                  • sheree_sews_fab
                                                    Message 26 of 28 , Oct 6, 2013

                                                      Forget about my previous message.  The success was short lived.  One sheet came out perfect.  Then two more messed up, smeared, bunched, jammed my printer and are complete losses.  Darn.... it cost $8.99 for 5 sheets of that stuff and now I've ruined two sheets.

                                                      I also ended up dismantling the back of my printer to get strings of muslin that tore off the edges.  My printer is now acting crazy with lots of odd noises.  So I guess that was the end of those muslin sheets in the printer.

                                                      I can't take a chance in ruining my printer.  It is the way I scan photos and postcards.

                                                      But I did notice that I can write very clearly on this pre-packaged printer fabric by June Tailor.  The pens actually look good and dark with one pass!  So I can use the leftover sheets to write on, then fuse them to pc backs.  This is good news for me!

                                                      I think the reason I can't write on my PC backs, might be the fusible residue soaking through the layers.  I am an "over fuser"  I like to make sure everything is bonded well, and that might be my problem.

                                                      So I'm off to more experimentation.....

                                                      ShereeSews in M!ch!gan

                                                        Message 28 of 28 , Oct 6, 2013
                                                          Hi Sheree, thank you, and there is a poll up now.  Everyone please vote.  I will do whatever it comes too, even if I have to work much harder, Maureen sent me some help, thank you Maureen.  Lynn in wa.