Writing of fabric backs !#$%#@!

  • sheree_sews_fab
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
      I am so frustrated.  Why can't I write very well on the fabric postcard backs?

      I have purchased Micron pigma .05 pens and they seem dry after one postcard.  I find myself going over every letter twice and it looks messy.  Then I tried the EZ Quilting Fabric markers and they write too big and fat.  Then I tried a plain gel pen and it is not good quality either.  Sharpies tend to bleed wide.

      But when I receive postcards from everyone, your writing looks like a one time perfect pass.  Why can't I get the same results?

      Here's my ????

      Do you write on fabric when it is flat....then attach it to the back?  Or do you fuse everything together and write on back ?   I need help please?

      I think I will just go back to attaching card stock backs even though I love the look of fabric.

      Sheree

    • Bev
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
        I suffer the same frustration that you describe, Sheree! I do like the fabric backs though.

        Beverly
        Sent from my iPad

        On Oct 4, 2013, at 11:29 AM, <shereesews@...> wrote:

        I am so frustrated.  Why can't I write very well on the fabric postcard backs?

        I have purchased Micron pigma .05 pens and they seem dry after one postcard.  I find myself going over every letter twice and it looks messy.  Then I tried the EZ Quilting Fabric markers and they write too big and fat.  Then I tried a plain gel pen and it is not good quality either.  Sharpies tend to bleed wide.

        But when I receive postcards from everyone, your writing looks like a one time perfect pass.  Why can't I get the same results?

        Here's my ????

        Do you write on fabric when it is flat....then attach it to the back?  Or do you fuse everything together and write on back ?   I need help please?

        I think I will just go back to attaching card stock backs even though I love the look of fabric.

        Sheree

      • Carina Karlsson
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
          I have the same problem , going over twice with the Micron pigma. Have also  purchase another fabric pen-but  it was too fat !!
          It seems that there is a big gap between the two sizes.
          I fuse everything together and then write, that works best for me. Sorry that i could´nt be to  more help.
           Carina

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
              I use the Sharpies that are the very fine tip(ultra?) ones and I write after I fuse. I also try to use a very light hand and printing seems to work best for addys and it doesn't seem like the fabric"sucks" the pen dry as fast....Vickie

              To: PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
                I write on my PC backs after it is all fused down and edges stitched.

                Try using the 'wrong' side of the fabric, sometimes I find that it is easier to write on that side.

                My faves pens for writing on fabric are: Zebra .5 needle tip (found at .99 store), Sanford Liquid Expresso Med point (I think I also got this at the .99 store), Staedtler triplus fineliner .3mm (four pk red, black, blue, green from .99 store) and my all time fave is Pentel Energel NeedleTip .5 liquid gel ink .. I am running low on this one and can't find the exact same pen anywhere, even online, maybe they've redesigned or changed the outside of the pen ...

                There are still occasional fabrics that do not take well to even my fave pens.  So I've tested on a small corner of fabrics and if it works good then I put them in a bin with my pre-cut fusible and pextex, so all the backing fabrics in variety of colors are all together.  I usually use fabrics that I would not use for quilts.

                Nancie  or someone suggested using the polycotton, cheaper than regular and works really well too, so does muslin.

                I've not been that happy with the pigma pens and they are so expensive!

                If at all possible, please do NOT use cardstock for backings ...

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
                  Sherree and others

                  I have been making and mailing fabric and fibre postcards since about 2004, or was it 2005? Can’t exactly remember to be honest.

                  Initially, I was really p***** off with all the smarty-pants  that printed out the reverse of their cards!
                  “It’s EASY” they said
                  “Do it like this and it’s no sweat” they said!!!
                  DIDN”T work for me> I’m not that computer literate.

                  Anyway, from virtually DAY ONE I have assembled my complete postcard before adding address and message and I have found that ZIG  Calligraphy pens work best for me
                  They are a pigment ink; Acid fee archival quality, lightfast,waterproof, fade proof and non bleeding. (Well! That's what they say on the pen!)
                  They have two tips: one FINE and one CHISEL...I prefer the fine!
                  There’s probably no need for me to use such a quality ink pen because I can’t imagine my work lasting “forever”, but I like the pens

                  Another thing I have learned is that if my backs are of pre washed fabrics they are easier to write on: because the sizing which absorbs the ink has been removed

                  I have used Gel pens and other types that have FINE points but I can’t remember the brands. I pay about $5 for a pen just for my cards, and if I use it for nothing else, and remember to cap it as soon as I have finished using it I get a lot of use from it.
                • Darlene
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
                    Great to hear about the ZIG pens.  Maybe I'll try them.  I find that if I do NOT use fusible on the back, it's easier to write on.  I bought the microns because others said they work but they don't work all that great for me.  I find the fine sharpies work well for me and I write slowly.  I try to remember to write on them before but usually forget and end up writing it after.
                    I am new at this though.  boy was I frustrated when I first started.

                    Darlene

                    --
                    Want something unique and beautiful?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013
                      Darlene
                      I don’t know what fusible you use for your “back” but over the years I have found the double sided fusible like Timtex  (which was the first one I used, way back......)
                      Fast2Fuse  or Peltex  saves me a lot of fiddling around.......
                      EXCEPT when I do machine embroidery and forget to remove stabiliser before fusing design to the main stabiliser  (just did it with my ***** whitework!!)Steaming mad

                      Maureen
                    • Darlene

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 5, 2013

                          I use Micron pigma pens and Zig pens....and occasionally gel pens.

                          I think Micron Pigma .05 is much too fine (notice the decimal); the tip gouges into the fabric and there is little ink laid down.  I bought a set of mult-size set of pens at JoAnn's or Michaels with a 40% coupon, and it has allowed me to experiment with the various size tips.  Most often I use 01, 02, and 03 (no decimals); ....sometime 05; but 08 is too thick for my liking.

                          I always fuse the back to Peltex before writing on it, and I use a very light touch. Every fabric takes the ink differently, so I start writing my return address with 01 and if that is too fine, I move up to 02 and 03 for better results.

                          Since I use my quilting scraps to make postcards, I sometimes put a print on the back...which requires a heavier pen (05) for the writing to show over the printed pattern.  If you use white on white fabrics, the embossing does not take ink well, so use the wrong side of WoWs to write on. A plain polycotton solid is very easy to write on; do not use 100% polyester solids, as they will shrink badly under the iron. One of the best fabrics I've found is my husband's white dress shirts which are tightly woven 100% cotton, and a dream to write on. I cut his old shirts up after the elbows get worn or they get stained. You could probably find Pima cotton shirts at a thrift store for less than the price of fabric.

                          I bought Zig pens in a colored set at JoAnn's on sale (half-price). Very reasonable. They are .5mm in size....which is comparable to 05 in Micron Pigma.  These are a little thicker but they roll smoothly on fabric and they come in great colors. Both my Micron and Zig sets were bought over a year ago and they are still going strong. I bought my gel pens in a set at the grocery store (cheap and fluorescent!). They make the thickest line of all so I'm not very fond of them, but they do glide easily over all types of fabric.

                          Don't forget to heat-set all of these inks after addressing your postcards.

                          --Nancie V in Austin TX