New postage Rules for Canada

  • maggiequilts
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013

      I was so disgusted when I mailed my last postcard. The guy at the post office said that postcards had to be sent at parcel rates as they were not paper!!!!

      I would think they would appreciate the business !

      He did let them go for the regular rate but I suspect the next time he will ding me. My solution to the problem is to send them in a regular envelope and hope that works!

      It really spoils the concept of our trades, but I hope no one will mind.

      Otherwise I will have to drop out as it will be costing too much.

      You can tell me what you think??

      Thanks

      Maggie

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013
        Maggie I am not sure that your postal clerk knows what he is doing ... are your PCs sometimes in cello envelope as well as naked?

        Here in the States, even tho we say it is a 'postcard' we do not get to send it with postcard fees, but we have to mail it first class rate.  And of course they charge a bit more for cello.

        Not knowing how Canada PO works, do you have what here in the states we call a PostMaster General?  He is the head of the whole postal service.  Years ago one of our members sent our PostMaster General a fabric postcard and told him of all the different rates she was quoted by postal workers and she wanted to know exactly what they should be charging.  He actually sent a letter stating  that we should only pay what we call  1st class mail, and yes additional .20 fee for cello envelope cuz it couldn't/shouldn't go thru the machinery.  If you don't mind the bother, maybe you could ask your main PO decision maker what the charges 'should' be.

        other than that, personally I do not mind if you mail in paper envelope.  It does distract from the visual excitement of not being in paper, but I would rather see you continue with your talent / art, than to drop out of PCMA!

        Subject: [PostCardMailArt] New postage Rules for Canada

        I was so disgusted when I mailed my last postcard. The guy at the post office said that postcards had to be sent at parcel rates as they were not paper!!!!
        I would think they would appreciate the business !
        He did let them go for the regular rate but I suspect the next time he will ding me. My solution to the problem is to send them in a regular envelope and hope that works!
        It really spoils the concept of our trades, but I hope no one will mind.
        Otherwise I will have to drop out as it will be costing too much.
        You can tell me what you think??
        Thanks
        Maggie

      • sewnancie
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013

          I've had one clerk here in the U.S. try to charge me parcel post. I would have left and gone to another branch post office but she finally decided to ask the clerk next to her and he straightened her out.  You might have run across someone like that, who misinterpreted the rules. I can't imagine charging parcel rates for something that weighs less than 3 oz! I think our postcards are even lighter...more like 1 oz...does anyone know?

           I have been to branch offices where they contested every card I sent. And I've been to some branches where they don't blink an eye or ask a question; they take my card as if it's routine. I have made friends with a clerk at my neighborhood branch office and now I go there on the same day of every week, at about the same time, just to see him. I don't always land in his line, but he will help settle disputes if another clerk gives me a problem. It's good to have friends wherever you go! ;-)

          --Nancie V in Austin TX

          Maggie wrote:

          The guy at the post office said that postcards had to be sent at parcel rates as they were not paper!!!!

        • Bev
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013
            I agree with Sue. Please don't drop out. :-)

            Beverly
            Sent from my iPad

            On Oct 1, 2013, at 7:55 PM, Sue Balchak <wraez@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Darlene
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013
              Same here Maggie.  They said that fabric is thicker than paper and I've been paying first class postage.

              Darlene

              --
              Want something unique and beautiful?

            • iamwraez
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2013

                Oh Maggie, the Zentangle PC you mailed to ME cost you a small fortune ... no wonder you are so upset and frustrated!  So sorry that you had to pay so much, oh my.

                Now I feel guilty telling you that the stamps are so pretty!

                warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

                ---In postcardmailart@yahoogroups.com, <darlene.kho@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Carina Karlsson
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2013
                  I think you should send them in regular envelops, try it !

                  I have also problems with the high postage. One postcard always costing me  2 dollar
                  outside Sweden !! So I have to those carefully the swaps I want to join.

                  Regards Carina from Sweden

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2013
                    Maggie, I think you should use an envelope!  Our postage is supposed to go up too.  When I send one in an envelope it is much cheaper than in cello, weird.lol   We don’t want you to drop out, it would be no fun for anyone doing that, we would miss you.  Lynn in wa.
                  • lynn j
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2013
                      Darlene, that makes no sense as they have a thickness they go buy, no matter what the pc is made of!  I know I have a post office close that if it fits the thickness it goes 28 cents, was, now it might be 30, and I never have gotten one back.  We have one really close to us that charges way more for everything than the other post office, can’t figure it out.  Lynn in wa.