Re: [PostCardMailArt] Re: Nancy G - your double layer binding tips

    Message 1 of 21 , May 31 5:26 PM
      Like Vicky, my cards are all around me: some on my walls, framed in groups of four, featuring particular themes, other just single ones. I have a circular fishbowl on the dining room table featuring my most recently arrived treasures and  five "postcard boxes" crammed full and sitting in bookcase, also in the kitchen/dining area.
      My mother in law died fifteen years ago, and afterwards Dad gave me the various cards and embroideries that I had gifted her over the years,
      (She was also a gifted needlewoman so she appreciated my little gifts)
      My own mother was,dare I say, a hoarder and when I needed clear her apartment after her death in 1992, I found cartoons,sketches,paintings and needlework I had given her from my early teen years.
      And as for me! I have told my kids that what they don't want goes to my three particular friends.

      I guesstimated a few weeks back that with Postcard swaps over the past five or six years I had swelled Australia Post's coffers by close on $10,000.
      Frightening what an addiction can cost....and add to that.........I must be CRAZY!
      But I'm in good company!   :-)

      Maureen

      From: shereesews@...
      Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 15:09:20 +0000

      THROWN AWAY? Who throws theirs away? Anyone out there? tee hee :)

      I'm ready to start a second shoebox for my collection. They are great conversation pieces, my non-sewing friends enjoy them even more!

      I constantly have two different displays of them! I line up the current swaps along my fireplace mantle, and I have a display wrapped around a square vase on an end table. I show them off! I often find my "artist" son holding them and inspecting the new arrivals!

      When I get back to Michigan, they will be hanging on a wall area in my kitchen.

      Thank-you everyone for contributing to my home decor!
      I LOVE FABRIC POSTCARDS AND I LOVE THIS SWAP GROUP!

      ShereeSews in SoCal

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2012
        Nancy
        I tried your double flange tips on two postcards today!!!!  GRRRRRR
        It works perfectly well on a wall hanging, but on postcards!!
        I hang my head in shame. Truly.
        I will probably blog my disasters, because the Postcards in question were my "By the water's edge"!1
        I will show my disasters, then frogstitch them...........
        then do it all over again.
        I must admit that I PREFER handwork (so FORGIVING!!)  and  I hate the results I get with machine stitching

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2012
          Not sure what happened.  Did you start with trying a one flange border?  Two can get tricky depending on the bulk of the fabric.  The other thing I do is steam iron the flange so it's not going to move or change shape on me while sewing. Sometimes I sew the flange on before I iron it to the pelex.  Another tip, make sure your edges are very crisp.  Sometimes I start my card as a 5 x 7, do all the art work and then cut it down to 4 x 6.  This gives a very crisp edge.  Hope this helps.  Believe me if I can do it, it's not that hard.

          Nancy G.

          Nancy Goodman

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2012
            I can relate.  I just moved my mom to an assisted living.  I boxed the postcards I had sent her and sent them with her.  She doesn't look at them anymore, but  I like going through them and reading the messages.  They tell a story over the years.
            I also have all of the PCs I have received and enjoy going through them every so often.

            Nancy G.

            Nancy Goodman

            To: PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com
            From: shereesews@...
            Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 15:09:20 +0000

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2012
              Hanging my head in shame, I admit I thought to do things faster and machine stitched the binding to the rear!
              AND I didn't  reverse the colours of the threads so they show as a GLARING mistake on the front.
              Guess who'll be frog stitching today!
              YES I did spray and set the folds. Another troublesome point was that I had used an iron on Pellon because I was doing some handstitching on the front, and that caused too much BULK