Deadlines schmedlines...

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2012
      --- In PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <nonfiction43@...> wrote:

      > I am now writing lists & notes & trying to put them in inconspicuous places on the refrigerator. Will I remember where they are ...

      > Does anyone have any suggestions, novel ideas, hair-brained schemes for remembering things? If so, please share them. Maybe there is still hope.

      FWIW Mary my simple system works for me. Here in my workroom I have 2 HUGE built in closets (lucky me)...the 4 doors are each 27" x 76", big enough to attach pin boards on the inside for all sorts of 'stuff'....yes the shelves are built back enough to allow for the doors to shut even WITH all this 'stuff' pinned & hanging on the insides LOL.

      However I digress, my system for reminding myself of deadlines/committments is easy enough. On the OUTSIDE of one of the doors I stick post-it notes, neon pink heart shaped ones, soooo cute! On each post-it I write the item & date ie PCMA LOTTERY BY JAN 31...or PCMA VALENTINES DOTEE BY FEB 5...etc etc. I usually have about a dowen up there, URGENT stuff on top rows in date order of course. Bottom row are just UFO quilts. Just (groan).

      The post-its are easily moved around/along to accomodate a sooner date which needs to be slotted in between.

      Imagine the flourish with which I pull one off when the item is finished, with a grand whoop LOL.

      Anyway, as I say, simple enough. Works for me. The pink hearts glare at me from first thing in the morning till bedtime, humming FINISH ME, FINISH ME...Sometimes I rebel & work on one which isn't the FIRST heart on the door...But for the most part it keeps me on track & focussed.

      Kim x
    • Nancie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2012
        Your best solution is exactly what you did....
        << I can't wait until the "F" swap closes. I already have two cards made and am waiting to see if I need to make more.>>

        It's always best to make the postcards while the ideas are fresh in your mind...and then you don't have to remember to do them later.

        I have a little calendar hanging in the bathroom where I can glance at it every morning while I'm brushing my teeth, but my *main calendar* is a DayTimer that lives beside my computer in the sewing room-- it has everything in my life written in it! I also keep a "short list" (the most immediate deadlines) stuck to the wall behind my ironing board since I spend so much time there. (Perhaps this is overkill, but seems to be necessary, lol.)

        The "mail by" dates on a calender don't allow time to actually create the PCs... so when the matches are posted to the list, I try to make my PCs right away. This relieves a lot of stress! The calendars then remind me to mail them.

        --Nancie V in Austin TX

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2012
          Nancie, those are great suggestions!  Yes, all the notes to yourself seem a bit anal and overkill, LOL, but ya gotta do what works for you.  Creating the PCs early is a wonderful idea, tho procrastinators like myself need a kick in the butt to get moving, sometimes I think I'm sabotaging myself just to feel the stress.

          To: PostCardMailArt@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2012
            I can imagine the fanfare when you pull that post-it pink heart off the door (smile). I think you're right that having "in your face" reminders is the only way to remember things.
            I've tried organizing things in binders but they don't stare me in the face like a neon-colored post-it note would do.
            I'll head to Wal-Mart tomorrow and buy the most garish I can find.
            Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, Kim.
            Hugs-
            Mary
          • Mary
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2012
              Nancie, I think having multiple reminders is a great idea. I swear I must have adult ADD. My mind can travel from one idea to another at the speed of light and then I can't recall what the first idea was.
              A friend visited me the other day and asked for a glass of milk. I got a glass from the cupboard and the milk from the refrigerator. I kept talking to her as I poured the milk and then proceeded to open the cupboard door to put the milk away. ****!
              I am trying to think about how to jar my memory first thing in the morning without scaring myself to death. I guess as long as it doesn't involve looking in the mirror I'd be safe.

              You are also right when you say to make the cards while the inspiration and ideas are fresh. If I wait too long, they just leak out of my head.

              Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
              Hugs -
              Mary