Re: [California PortaBoters] Proper Weight and Horsepower for the 14 Foot Porta-Bote

  • lists@fastmail.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      Jeff

      I'd check with the manufacturer as to the max weight and hp for the 14',
      but I'm reasonably sure that a 6hp would not be adequate if you want the
      hull to plane with two people on board.

      I'd recommend that you get the largest motor that the manufacturer
      recommends for your hull, if the weight of a larger motor becomes an
      issue then you may consider buying a 2 stroke motor if you can use a 2
      stroke motor where you will be boating.

      I have a 5hp Mercury/Nissan/Tohatsu 4 stroke on my 12' portabote and it
      weighs 25 kilograms. I also own a 15hp Yamaha 2 stroke on another dinghy
      that weighs 35 kilograms, this motor is the same weight as the 10 hp
      Yamaha 2 stroke. Presumably most manufacturers motors are similar
      weights.

      I can manage the 25 kilogram motor relatively easily on my own, but I do
      need some help with the 35 kilogram motor, particularly when I need to
      lift the motor into boot/trunk of my 4WD/SUV

      Regards, Steve Reynolds

      On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 02:28:11 -0000, "jeffcecille2006"
      <jhaught@...> said:
      > Hello
      > I'm Jeff and new to the group. Just bought a new 14 ft. Porta-Bote.
      > I'm am "on the fence" as to what weight size and HP outboard to
      > buy.
    • Jay,R
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        9.8 Tohatsu two stoke at 59lbs works great for me but hard to find now.
        It's quiet and doesn't make you smell like 2 stroke smoke at the end
        of the day. I don't fish with my boat that much, iff you plan on
        trolling at all buy a 4 stroke, a 9.8 preferably.

        My thoughts,

        Jay
        Anchorage, Alaska