New boat

  • bajapilot2002
    Message 1 of 972 , Feb 2, 2002
      The boards been pretty dead lately so I though
      I'ld post this. My new 12 footer arrived yesterday and
      I proceeded to put it together. Took about 15-20
      minutes, not bad for the first time. Everything fit
      together well, good job of quality control. I'll be using
      this boat mostly for fishing and I intend to do a few
      of the mods that some of you have posted on this
      board as well as some of my own. I'll post them and
      pictures as I do.<br><br>I'll be mounting my boat to the
      side of a 8ft Lance truck camper. Thanks to George
      Bright on this board I have a good idea of how to do
      this now. My camper makes frequent trips to Baja and
      every other year trips to Alaska and it'll sure be nice
      having a boat with me. I've past up way too many fishing
      spots.<br><br>I've been thinking about motors until smoke starts
      rolling out of my ears. I orginally planned on a Honda
      5hp and still like it. However Porta-bote's pricing
      on the Nissan is really aggressive and the Honda is
      around $300 more than the 6hp Nissan. Yes, 6hp, because
      I'll be doing much of my fishing in the Sierra
      mountains at 6-8000 ft where you'll only get 4-5hp out of
      the engine. Haven't heard too many complaints on the
      Nissan, what do you think?<br><br>Couple of questions.
      that will mount on the side rails or is that not a
      good idea? Really don't want to cut the seats for rod
      holders.<br>2. Anybody using a depth sounder with a transom
      mounted transducer? If so how?<br>3. Anyone figured out
      how to mount seats with a back to the plastic bench
      seats with out drilling through the seats or is that
      ok?<br><br>Thanks everyone for the good feedback, this is what
      makes the net so useful. Bill...
    • IAN
      Message 972 of 972 , May 19 2:27 PM
        Hi. Have a look at the pictures I have posted at top of second page in the picture file. If you are looking for another idea re. porta dolly, it may be of some help.
        Ian Streten