Re: [California PortaBoters] Re: Confused about the real power of electric outboard

  • c d
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      Thanks Mike

      I was drawn by the quietness of the electric engine. Now I'll try to get a "relatively" quiet gas engine . 4 to 6 HP seems to be the right recommended power.

      Thanks again

      CD

      Michael J Cummings <mjc3834@...> wrote:
      "but 15 to 16 pounds of thrust is a
      commonly used "rule of thumb" that roughly equates to
      the performance of one horsepower."

      I don't know who's "thumb" he's going by. Try this.

      The Ray Electric Outboard Motor series or system 200 is rated at 2.5
      hp max output. Runs on 36 volts. It uses 6 (recomended) 12 volt
      batterys. Two banks of three. 2.5 max output drawing 65 amps and
      makes 135 lbs. of thrust. The motor alone weighs 74 lbs and the
      whole package weighs 530 lbs. It will push a small fishing boat (?)
      along at about 6 mph.

      Save yourself a lot of time and go out and find a small (gas)
      outboard.
      Mike