RE: [California PortaBoters] 12' and Johnson 3.5

  • William F. Koren III
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
      I have a 12ft PB that I had out on false river in 15-20 mph winds and some
      fairly choppy waves. I'm 200+ and my son about 150 and the PB did well with
      a 5hp Nissan against these winds and waves. I'm glad that I up-graded from
      the 3hp to the 5hp before the motor was shipped to me. I think we would
      have been at a dead stall with anything smaller than the 5 hp motor.

      Bill

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
        I have a 6 hp 4stroke on my 12 foot pb. The prop was changed to a 7
        pitch for more power when 2 people are in the boat. With a couple of
        200 pounders and fishing gear (trolling motor, battery, tackle boxes
        and poles etc.) I get up on plane and 15-16 mph wide open. The 6 hp
        4stroke weighs the same as the 5 hp 4stroke so I enjoy the extra power.
        Yes the 54 lbs is heavy but if you place it on a stand near your
        garage door and back your vehicle up to the door it is very easy to
        transfer. when getting ready to place it on your boat prior to
        launching again it is only a matter of a few feet to the transom. The
        performance is worth the extra effort to me. You have to decide whats
        best for you. Good luck and have fun. Mark