Electric Motor for 12' Portabote

  • Alan Edwards
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      Anybody using an electric motor on their 12'
      Portabote? If so, what's a good brand/model to get?

      thanks,

      Alan

      Alan J. Edwards

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Messenger
    • Rick Trevino
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        One thing to consider is whether you plan to add an outboard later. If not,
        get the biggest transom mount type trolling motor you can buy. You'll always
        be happier with more power. If you do plan on adding an outboard later,
        would you want to move your trolling motor up to the bow? If so, then you'd
        have to consider a small size, say 30-36lb thrust unless you want to beef up
        the bow mount. I have a 40lb thrust Minn-Kota and it works well in back or
        front.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          You may want to learn from my mistake. I started with a Minn-kota
          Endura 30 pound thrust so that I could hang it on the front on the
          transom mount that PB sells. Worked great in lakes, rivers, etc.
          since I have an outboard hanging on the transom. Made a concious
          decision to buy a "fresh water only" motor since I thought I'd never
          be using the bote in saltwater. You guessed it--how stupid could I
          be since I live in Florida but just thought I'd be following my
          normal pattern of bass and crappie fishing.

          A year later I bought a Minn-kota Riptide 40 pound thrust because I
          discovered the pleasures of fishing the grass flats of Florida. It
          is also too heavy to hang on the bow mount so it hangs next to my
          outboard on the transom. Therefore, I needed to beef up the transom
          with a metal bar to support both the outboard and trolling motor.

          The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't a perfect fit
          trolling motor. There are lots of factors that will go into that
          decision, like fresh water/salt water. Also as pointed out by
          someone else, are you going to have an outboard? Are you willing to
          deal with two batteries? Just think carefully about what you'll
          never do with your PB--like use it in saltwater. I'm here to tell
          you that if I'd given much thought to if it was at all possible that
          I'd use it in salt water, I'd only own one trolling motor (the
          RipTide) and not have one gathering dust in the garage.

          Have a PortBote Day,

          Bob
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
            By the way, check with Don Krauss. There's a new capability of
            trolling motors that wasn't available when I bought mine. His
            steering turns in about a 3:1 ratio. He can completely reverse his
            motor while moving the tiller about 1/3 of the way left or right.

            Bob