Re: Getting the best out of an outboard

  • davleew
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi Gary,
      I don't see many Porta-Botes in Oz. They are more than double the
      cost of an aluminium dinghy and this could have a lot to do with it.
      Also there is only one agent who sells them and they aren't
      advertised at all. I do think however that the word is spreading a
      bit and gradually we will see more of them.
      I mainly use mine in the mighty Murray River. I also use it in fresh
      water lakes.I live in the State of South Australia where we have two
      major peninsulars. They are 80km plus long and are not very deep -
      maybe 70ft in the centre. If you know where to look, there is some
      excellent fishing to be had in these coastal waters and my porta-
      bote also gets used in these areas.
      A lot of people spend a few months at a time travelling all the way
      around Oz. (They call it "going around the block"). Whilst a fair
      bit of that trip is through desert areas, a lot of it is also
      coastal and near inland tidal rivers. That is why it always pays to
      have a boat with you. A lot of travellers find that an aluminium
      boat on top of the vehicle provides a great wind deflector for their
      caravan.

      Dave

      --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Felkner" <gfelkner@y...>
      wrote:

      > Dave
      >
      > Do you find many Portaboters in Australia? I spent some time
      > bicycling around down your way in 2002, and I was amazed at how
      many
      > people in the outback were towing or cartopping boats around the
      > desert. I was afraid they new something I didn't :)
      >
      > Seriously, though, I'm curious the types of places you use the
      > Portabote. The freshwater lakes, bigger rivers like the Murray
      River,