Re: Porta Stuff Carrier

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      Jeff,

      Your Dad did a great job on the carrier. I was just wondering, since
      it increases the length of your vehicle by about 3 ft, do you need to
      mount lights on it so other drivers can see that it's there at
      night? Dan

      --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, jeffdlong@y... wrote:

      > Well I finally got my dad to build my Porta Stuff Carrier. He is a
      > retired iron worker with tons of time. I mount my 6hp and carry my
      > seats, transom, gas tank, oars, anchor, and trolling battery in
      it.
      > It is cumbersome trying to mount it by myself, so this weekend he
      > added some wheels with removable legs. I don't have a picture of
      > that yet. Check it out under Porta Stuff Carrier in the photo
      > section.
    • Jeff Long
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
        Dan, I don't think I have to add lights, but I was planning to add reflectors on the back and side corners. I also found that I probably need to add some type of pole or flag so I can see the carrier in my rear view mirror if I'm using it without the motor......you really don't notice it at all without the motor attached.

        I told my dad that I could probably get some orders for him if he wanted to make some extra cash......his response, being retired.......no one could pay him enough to cover his time!!!!

        Dan <dhall@...> wrote:

        Jeff,

        Your Dad did a great job on the carrier. I was just wondering, since
        it increases the length of your vehicle by about 3 ft, do you need to
        mount lights on it so other drivers can see that it's there at
        night? Dan

        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, jeffdlong@y... wrote:

        > Well I finally got my dad to build my Porta Stuff Carrier. He is a
        > retired iron worker with tons of time. I mount my 6hp and carry my
        > seats, transom, gas tank, oars, anchor, and trolling battery in
        it.
        > It is cumbersome trying to mount it by myself, so this weekend he
        > added some wheels with removable legs. I don't have a picture of
        > that yet. Check it out under Porta Stuff Carrier in the photo
        > section.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2004
          Hey Jeff - Dan

          I have been working on a carrier with very similar beginings.It uses
          the trailer hitch and hangs of the back of my durango. I will post
          pics when its done. This method seems to be a great way to keep the
          dirt out of the car/suv. My carrier keeps all the parts totally
          inclosed.(motor,seats,transom,fuel,etc) Measures w60"xd20"xh36" is
          made of steel and wood. I am going to be leaving Boston and heading
          to West Palm in Florida about 1500 miles and need everything to be
          theft resistant during food, fuel and over night stops.

          Great job guys. I need a father who can weld!

          ken

          --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Long <jeffdlong@y...> wrote:
          > Dan, I don't think I have to add lights, but I was planning to
          add reflectors on the back and side corners. I also found that I
          probably need to add some type of pole or flag so I can see the
          carrier in my rear view mirror if I'm using it without the
          motor......you really don't notice it at all without the motor
          attached.

          > I told my dad that I could probably get some orders for him if he
          wanted to make some extra cash......his response, being
          retired.......no one could pay him enough to cover his time!!!!

          > Dan <dhall@s...> wrote:
          >
          > Jeff,
          >
          > Your Dad did a great job on the carrier. I was just wondering,
          since
          > it increases the length of your vehicle by about 3 ft, do you need
          > mount lights on it so other drivers can see that it's there at
          > night? Dan
          >
          > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, jeffdlong@y... wrote:
          > >
          > > Well I finally got my dad to build my Porta Stuff Carrier. He
          is a
          > > retired iron worker with tons of time. I mount my 6hp and carry
          my
          > > seats, transom, gas tank, oars, anchor, and trolling battery in
          > it.
          > > It is cumbersome trying to mount it by myself, so this weekend
          he
          > > added some wheels with removable legs. I don't have a picture
          of
          > > that yet. Check it out under Porta Stuff Carrier in the photo
          > > section.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.