[California PortaBoters] Re: Question.....

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
      Wes,

      Have you tried the building basement? Surely there must be a corner
      down there somewhere that your building super would let you use. You
      can stand your bote on the transom end and strap it to the wall, hang
      it from the wall or ceiling with a set of the PB RV brackets that can
      be locked. Maybe make friends with someone on the first floor that
      might let you keep the hull in their apartment. It would fit up
      against the wall behind their couch. Everybody can use more friends
      in New York City. How about sharing part of a storage unit with
      someone. Just trying to think of some ideas to help you out. Come
      on everybody, let's all chip in with some ideas to help out Wes. Dan

      --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Wes Barclay <wesbarclay@y...> wrote:

      > 8ft 9in when in the open position? You need to go to your own web
      site

      > http://www.porta-bote.com/dimensions.html It says 8ft 9in in
      the "folded" position...

      > But it doesn't matter, they are both wrong....My elevator was
      measured to the demensions stated on your site.... 8ft 9in would just
      make it....

      > Your 7in off.... that's a big difference....
      >
      > No there is no freight, just two 4ft wide elevators, diagonal is
      not possible, I suggest you trade in your tape measure for a better
      one, mine's a Stanley steel tape. I'll say it again, your 8 "footer"
      is not 8ft 6in but is really 9ft and that's without the bow cap....

      > With bow cap it's close to 9ft 6in......OK, I got a little bit more
      boat for my money....but really, to some people every inch is very
      important.....especially for people living in tight quarters, I live
      in the middle of New York City, close to Central Park....every square
      inch of this city is spoken for.....enough said..!!

    • ida71u
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
        Hi Wes,

        Well that's what I get for making jokes.

        Apologies

        Chris W.
        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Wes Barclay <wesbarclay@y...> wrote:
        > Really? Let's factor in something else, I'm 66 years old and I
        have had two heart attacks....but hey, a little exercise shelling
        45lbs up six flights is beneficial?

      • Wes Barclay
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
          Yes the basement is an option, it will have to be in a locked room....I will not have the key and will have to make arrangements the day before....
          I still have to use stairs but just one flight....if I had know about this problem I would have gotten the 10 footer....
          Dan are you with Fold Bote? Is that error on the site stating that the folded length is
          8ft-9in going to be there 6 months from now?

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2004
            Wes,

            I have no affiliation with the Porta-Bote company. I own a 12ft PB
            and would like to see you be able to enjoy your 8ft. I know how
            living in cramped quarters can be and I understand how things are in
            NYC when it comes to apartments. Hate to hear you are having
            problems storing your bote. At least one flight of stairs is better
            than six. Maybe when you measured the elevator before ordering your
            bote you didn't take into account that the transom would not go all
            the way into the corner when you put the bote diagonally in the
            elevator. Sometimes these details can be overlooked. I was just
            trying to help you out with some suggestions. That's why we are part
            of this group, to learn from each others triumphs and mistakes and
            relate stories of how each of us enjoys using our botes. There was
            one guy on here a while back that lived on the second story of a two
            store apartment building and had to hoist his 10ft bote up the side
            of the building and through his window. I think it finally became to
            much of a hassle and he sold it and bought an 8ft. Dan

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2004
              Dan I measured the elevator, the problem is that I was told and the website varified that the boat was 8ft 9in folded.....it's not.....it's 9ft 3 and 1/2 inches.......that's 6 1/2 inches too long for the elevator.....my buying decision was based on this ability of the "8" footer to be elevator friendly....otherwise of course I would have opted for something larger...

              I hope the company is reading this because they must realize ..... most of the people on this forum have 10, 12, or 14 footer....a few inches here or there are not important...

              But nobody buys the "8" footer unless they have to....why? Space requirements! An inch could be critical, especially if they have low ceilings or elevator to contend with....
              I want the company to re-measure this boat, change the website info and change the description of the boat and call it what it is, IT''S A 9FT BOAT...!!! Let's put this silly business to rest.

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 2, 2004
                Wes,

                You have every right to be upset. I would be very upset too if I
                based my purchasing decision on information that a company put on
                it's web site and when the product arrived it was not as advertised.
                Call Sandy Kaye at Porta-Bote and discuss the problem directly with
                him. There should be a customer service phone number in the
                literature that you received with your bote. I believe Mr. Kaye is
                in the office from 8am-12pm Pacific time. You will get more action
                by calling him directly. Dan

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Please call me @ 1(800) 227-8882. In the meantime we are doing some
                  measuring ourselves.