10 foot vs. 12 foot

  • stuart2013
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      I am just about to take the plunge and buy a Porta boat. My biggest
      question is which size boat. This seems to be a common thread. I am
      trying to decide between the 10-foot and 12-foot models.

      I have a present-day need and then a future need. For the present I
      will be primarily using the boat as tender/dingy for a 28 foot
      sailboat on Lake Champlain in Vermont. In addition there will be some
      recreation boating using the PB in smaller lakes and rivers,
      transported by car. For the tender use I need to transport 4 people,
      wife two teenage kids and myself. For the recreational use it will
      most likely be just wife and myself. For now I will need to tow the
      PB behind the sailboat when needed.

      In the future I will be buying a Class A motorhome and selling the
      boat. At this time it will be just my wife and I. Here I will need
      to transport the BP on the Motorhome. The motor home will be 38 to 40
      feet and I will be towing a car behind. I am hoping to be able to
      carry the PB on the roof. Does anyone carry their BP on a class A
      motorhome, if yes where do you carry it?

      Does anyone have a recommendation for size? Is this the type of boat
      that bigger is better or is smaller better? I would be interested in
      knowing if people who bought a 10 footer have been happy with their
      purchase or do they wish they bought a larger boat and for those who
      bought the 12 footer are you happy or do you wish you bought the
      smaller boat?

      Thanks in advance for any input,

      Stuart
    • Paul Beddows
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2004
        I'm quite happy with my 10 ft. It was the max size I could carry on
        my camper, so that was the deciding factor. basically a 10 ft is
        adeqate for 3 people. if you want to carry 4, go for the 12 ft.

        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "stuart2013" <stuarto@a...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I am just about to take the plunge and buy a Porta boat. My
        biggest
        > question is which size boat. This seems to be a common thread. I
        am
        > trying to decide between the 10-foot and 12-foot models.
        >
        > I have a present-day need and then a future need. For the present
        > will be primarily using the boat as tender/dingy for a 28 foot
        > sailboat on Lake Champlain in Vermont. In addition there will be
        some
        > recreation boating using the PB in smaller lakes and rivers,
        > transported by car. For the tender use I need to transport 4
        people,
        > wife two teenage kids and myself. For the recreational use it will
        > most likely be just wife and myself. For now I will need to tow
        the
        > PB behind the sailboat when needed.
        >
        > In the future I will be buying a Class A motorhome and selling the
        > boat. At this time it will be just my wife and I. Here I will
        need
        > to transport the BP on the Motorhome. The motor home will be 38
        to 40
        > feet and I will be towing a car behind. I am hoping to be able to
        > carry the PB on the roof. Does anyone carry their BP on a class A
        > motorhome, if yes where do you carry it?
        >
        > Does anyone have a recommendation for size? Is this the type of
        boat
        > that bigger is better or is smaller better? I would be interested
        in
        > knowing if people who bought a 10 footer have been happy with their
        > purchase or do they wish they bought a larger boat and for those
        who
        > bought the 12 footer are you happy or do you wish you bought the
        > smaller boat?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any input,
        >
        > Stuart
      • Graham Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2004
          Hi Stuart
          By now I guess you have made a decision on size but just in case here
          is my two cents worth. My opinion is a little different to Paul's.

          I asked the same question back in August 2003 when I was trying to
          decide on which size to get. From the feedback I received (Hi Bob
          and Janet) I got a 12ft bote with a 5hp Tohatsu and am really pleased
          I did.
          As I get to do more and more with the bote, space becomes more and
          more of a problem. I have solved some of this by making bags which
          clip under the seats keeping the floorspace free. If I could handle
          it I would probably have gone for the 14ft model if it had been
          available.
          Initially, I damaged my elbow and shoulder by handling the 12ft bote
          on my own. Now I have a small dolly designed for aluminium
          dinghies. This can be taken apart and fits easily inside my
          motorhome. The bote is mounted on the side of my bus and now I wheel
          the dolly to the side of the bote and lower it directly onto the
          dolly. I then wheel the bote to the back of the bus and assemble it
          directly on the dolly. Once assembled I can either walk the dolly
          down to the water or can tow it if there is a bit of distance to the
          water's edge. The dolly has a small ring on the end of the bar which
          fits over a towball.
          Our lifestyle is such that we travel to many different places. The
          porta bote is always on board so that I can use it whenever I want to
          without needing to plan much at all.
          The 12ft is suitable for river and ocean and now I am working my way
          around the West of Australia exploring our beautiful rivers and
          discovering drop netting for crabs and fishing in many different
          kinds of conditions. Sometimes I am on my own. Mostly I take my
          German Shepherd with me and my wife sometimes comes out as well. If I
          had a 10ft bote I think I would be limited in doing some of these
          things.
          It rows very easily too, which helps in creeping up on the fish.
          I hope this is of some use to anyone trying to decide on which size
          bote to choose.
          Regards
          Graham Smith

          --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Beddows" <paulbeddows@y...>

        • stuart2013
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2004
            Thank you Graham and everyone else who sent their advice. It has all
            been very good info. At this point I have decided on the 12 foot. I
            will be heading to Manchester, NH at the end of the month to see the
            boat in person, for the first time. Unless there is some compelling
            reason to go with the 10 foot I will go with the 12. For the present
            time, the next 5 years or so, the 12 foot will handle our needs best.
            In the future if it turns out to be to big I will just get a smaller
            one then.

            Stuart