Re: Portabote on Truck & Camper

  • Paul Beddows
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
      Great, I'll look forward to seeing some pictures. You live in
      beautiful country, by the way, had the pleasure of spending a month
      there in 1998.

      --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "boetmarais20022000"
      <boetmarais20022000@y...> wrote:
      > Hello Paul ,thanks for the interesting explanation, and pics.
      > I have had an 8 ft portabote for the last 25 yrs , and recently
      > fitted mine to a camper, as none of my other boats can ride
      along ,
      > unless on a trailer.
      > However I live in South Africa , and the MFG. brackets you used
      are
      > not locally available. I too used my jacking points to mount the
      > brackets , the shape of which I copied from the portabote
      website .
      > However my jack points are horizontal , and just underneath the
      > overhang of the camper over the truck bin. I made brackets using 2
      > inch by 1/8" mild steel flat bar, which are welded to square
      tubing
      > that fits into the jack brackets . To lock the boat so it cannot
      > easily be removed, I use bolts behind/thru the jack brackets ,
      with
      > nylock nuts - so the thief must have wrenches to remove these. I
      > cannot show you pics of my setup yet as Santa Claus has a Canon
      A70
      <paulbeddows@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I bought a Portabote a few weeks ago. I managed to mount it on
      my
      > > truck & camper without drilling any holes in the sides or
      blocking
      > > storage panels. If interested I have pictures at
      > > http://www.vancouver.hm/portabote.html
    • Paul Beddows
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
        I'm even a little to concerned to use just locking nuts, especially
        since I plan on taking it to Mexico next year. I am going to drill
        extra holes to allow me to put a lock on it where it bolts together.
        that way they will need a hacksaw as well. If I can't angle padlocks
        into place, I will use those cylindrical trailer hitch locks. Judging
        by how much these boats cost in canada, you must need a mortgage to
        buy one in S. Africa.