Re: First Photos (Amy, as promised!)

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
      Harald,

      I guess I don't have enough experience in small boats to feel safe in
      one if I'm out of sight of land on the ocean. I guess 10Km (6.2
      miles) out is still within cell phone range if you need to call for
      help. Just be sure to keep your phone dry. Small, handheld marine
      VHF radios are too expensive to justify for occasional use. I might
      venture that far out on a clear, calm day, but if the forecast called
      for any chance of thunderstorms I wouldn't dare. I know about the
      PB's ability to slither over waves. I boat on a river that has
      commercial barge traffic and a multitude of pleasure boaters on
      summertime weekends. The big powerboats zooming up and down the
      river produce large wakes. I just slow down and the bote rides right
      over them. What kind of fish do you catch in the ocean over there?
      Let us know if you ever encounter any whales. Dan

      --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "hoiharald" <sport_visser@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Dan,
      >
      > Please, do not tell the audience the secret of the two aluminium
      > channels, before I have a chance to show the exact purpose of them.
      > You are VERY close to the truth.....so you may never guess again.
      > It will take me another 6-8 weeks to finish what I'm making.
      Please
      > be patient.
      >
      > The cushions that you see are not really cushions. It's a foam
      plate
      > that is sold as a pinboard which I bought at IKEA. I don't know if
      > there are stores in the US but in Europe they are everywhere. Look
      it
      > up with GOOGLE and I'm sure that you will see what kind of store it
      > is. In the mean time I discovered that the top layer is not very
      > wear-resistant.
      > I've also seen these foam things that can be rolled up to a small
      roll
      > that backpackers use to sleep on in their sleeping-bags. Maybe
      these
      > things can be used to soften the seats.
      >
      > And maybe I'm not braver, but more ignorant or stupid to go so far
      > with my boat. I try to do it as well prepared and safe as
      possible,
      > and we don't have things like "sudden storms" over here. Here the
      > conditions do not change very sudden and before I go I always check
      > more than one weather-forecast. And don't be fooled by the
      > capabilities of this boat. Unlike the well-known american saying,
      > bigger is really not always better! This boat goes OVER the waves
      > instead of THROUGH the waves. Although on that day at some places
      the
      > waves were about one meter high, I never had a problem or felt
      > insecure.
      >
      > Greetings. Harald.
    • Norm Carter
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
        I'm with Harald, if I were still cruising the saltwater I wouldn't
        hesitate to take the PB outside the jettys. These days it's all lakes
        and rivers for me though.
        --Norm

        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dhall@s...> wrote:
        > Harald,
        >
        > I guess I don't have enough experience in small boats to feel safe
        in
        > one if I'm out of sight of land on the ocean. I guess 10Km (6.2
      • hoiharald
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2003
          Hi,

          I'm not fishing at the moment because the catches are very poor at the
          moment. When I go out again (september/october) I will photograph all
          the species that I catch and post them on this site. I think it is
          interesting to see what people catch at the other side of the
          Atlantic so please post some pictures of Amarican catches too.

          Because the North-sea is a very shallow sea (up to 50 meters) there
          are normally no whales in these waters. I'ts just to shallow for them.
          Dolphins can be seen in these waters however these encouters are very
          rare.

          Greetings, Harald

          --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <dhall@s...> wrote:
          > Harald,
          >
          > I guess I don't have enough experience in small boats to feel safe
          in
          > one if I'm out of sight of land on the ocean. I guess 10Km (6.2
          > miles) out is still within cell phone range if you need to call for
          > help. Just be sure to keep your phone dry. Small, handheld marine
          > VHF radios are too expensive to justify for occasional use. I might
          > venture that far out on a clear, calm day, but if the forecast
          called
          > for any chance of thunderstorms I wouldn't dare. I know about the
          > PB's ability to slither over waves. I boat on a river that has
          > commercial barge traffic and a multitude of pleasure boaters on
          > summertime weekends. The big powerboats zooming up and down the
          > river produce large wakes. I just slow down and the bote rides
          right
          > over them. What kind of fish do you catch in the ocean over there?

          > Let us know if you ever encounter any whales. Dan
        • parmm2001
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 11, 2003
            How about as a passenger/attached crewman on the LST USS Meeker County
            during the "USS Pueblo incident" and crewman on the US Army's LCU
            1672? I even knew what a sea bat was!
            Pat

            --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "kourtnay_c" <kourtnay_c@h...>
            wrote:
            > I did 5 yrs. U.S.Navy between Naval Special Warfare and an FFG.
            > What was your rate? K.C.
          • kourtnay_c
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 11, 2003
              That`s some old school for you there! KC
            • madtigerhide
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 15, 2013

                hello, is harald still around? i seem to see only 10year old post from him. i like his bow modification for sea worthiness.. was wondering if anyone has any plans for building it or a similar bow modification.

                thanks

                dg