  • techmoose99
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 12:14 AM
      Hi Ray,

      I bought my bote new through one of Porta Bote's dealers and the
      dealer did send me the "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin".

      In summary it states that Porta Bote has shipped a new bote to
      the dealer listed on the form and it has never been registered in the
      50 states. It also said that "this" form along with the sales
      invoice must be shown to register the Bote.

      I did have to use this form when I got a motor for it and
      registered my Bote in California. As far as I know, if I only
      propelled the the bote by rowing, I never would have had to register
      the Bote or use the form. Because of this, I would think that you
      should be able to get it worked out with your State Marine Board.

      Moose
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 5:58 AM
        Hi Ray,

        Did the previous owner have the bote registered? If they did, it
        works just like transferring ownership of a car except for the
        insurance requirement. I'm sure you bought the bote straight out and
        there is no lien on it. If the bote was previously registered, the
        previous owner should just have to sign over the title to you and
        write up a bill of sale (doesn't necessarily have to be for what you
        paid for it) to provide a valuation for the property tax. You should
        just have to present both of those documents along with your
        application for a title, pay the titling fee and taxes to get your
        new title and registration number. If the bote was not previously
        titled, I'm not sure what you do. The previous owner should have
        received the "Certificate of Origin" from Porta-Bote if they bought
        it new. If they received the certificate and did not register the
        bote it probably has been lost. If the bote was never registered,
        maybe Porta-Bote can supply a replacement certificate for you. You
        should probably check with your state DMV on this. Hope this helps.
        Dan

        --- In californiaportaboters@yahoogroups.com, "ray_pohl" <pohls@c...>
        wrote:
        > I bought a wonderfull 12 ft. portabote from a private person here
        in
        > Oregon a year ago. I am now going to register the boat with the
        > State Marine Board because I will be using a electric motor on it.
        My