Sticking the letters on

  • kobun37
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Apparently in my state, any watercraft that has a motor needs to be
      licensed. So my question is, will adhesive letters stick to the side
      of the hull?
    • g capreol
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        Yes, absolutely. I picked up some large block letters from Home Depot and they work great. Easy to adhere and they stay on in water.
        - Gordon
        kobun37 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Apparently in my state, any watercraft that has a motor needs to be
        licensed. So my question is, will adhesive letters stick to the side
        of the hull?

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • parmm2001
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          No problem sticking the letters to bote. Get the proper size and
          contrasting color letters as required by your state authority. They
          also should be available at Walmart or Kmart as well as Home Depot.
          Any marina or boat store should have them. Follow the instructions
          from the state authority in proper placement of them on your bote.
          Remember, to marine enforcement personnel, boats are just like your
          car, and they can check you out and issue tickets. The marine cops
          are out there on the waterways.
          Pat
          --- In californiaportaboters@yahoogroups.com, g capreol
          <gcapreol@y...> wrote:

          > Yes, absolutely. I picked up some large block letters from Home
          Depot and they work great. Easy to adhere and they stay on in water.
          > - Gordon
          > kobun37 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Apparently in my state,
          any watercraft that has a motor needs to be
          > licensed. So my question is, will adhesive letters stick to the side
          > of the hull?
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
            Hi kobun37,

            Join "the state's gonna get you any way they can" club. In West
            Virginia a boat has to be registered if you put a 28lb thrust or
            bigger electric or any gas motor on it. I have a 12ft. aluminum
            color bote and got my letters and numbers at WalMart in the sporting
            goods section where the boat items are. I got the black
            letters/numbers. They are printed on rectangular clear plastic with
            a super adhesive on the back. I just cleaned the hull where I wanted
            to put the letters with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to remove any
            dirt or oil, used masking tape to position the letters where I wanted
            them, then peeled off the paper backing and stuck them on. They
            adhered very well and will be on there for a long time. Once they're
            stuck you can't reposition them without tearing up the letter/number,
            so you have to get it right the first time. Learn the rules of the
            road too, if you haven't already. The police on the water will
            ticket you just like when you're driving your car, but in my
            experience they're usually not out except on holiday weekends on busy
            waterways. Dan

            --- In californiaportaboters@yahoogroups.com, kobun37 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > Apparently in my state, any watercraft that has a motor needs to be
            > licensed. So my question is, will adhesive letters stick to the
            side
            > of the hull?
          • akalapa
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2003
              --- In californiaportaboters@yahoogroups.com, kobun37 <no_reply@y...>wrote:> Apparently in my state, any watercraft that has a motor needs to be > licensed. So my question is, will adhesive letters stick to theside > of the hull? **************If you have letters like 'X' or 'K' you may want to carry a coupleof extra in your car.I have each on my bote and even though I use the vinyl letters theyhave gotten torn a couple of times at the weakest point.
            • parmm2001
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2003
                Before you stick your letters on, Take some alcohol and clean off the
                area where you plan sticking the letters. Do this even if it looks
                clean. Oil and other substances used in manufacturing and packageing
                which appears clear can prevent the letters from properly sticking.
                The alcohol will dry quickly and you can then apply stickers. They
                should stay in place then, even the x and k.
                Pat

                --- In californiaportaboters@yahoogroups.com, akalapa <no_reply@y...>