Question for Cheryl

  • techmoose99
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hi Cheryl,

      Since you do have an inflatable, I was wondering if you could share
      with us what you like or dislike about it. Also, how you planned to
      use the Porta Bote and what you think it might do for you.

      I briefly looked at inflatables, but it looked like they didn't leave
      much room for gear. I was also concerned about the "inflatable"
      aspect. Anything I ever pumped air into leaked. Inflatables look
      pretty tough, so maybe the leakage thing isn't a problem, but I was
      hesitant about it.

      I don't think there is such a thing as a "perfect" boat, so that
      would include a Porta Bote too. I think the participation in this
      forum shows we do like and have interest in our botes, even though
      sometimes we are discussing a problem. The Porta Bote's versatility
      adds to much discussion as many of here take interest in
      personalizing our botes. Anyhow, I do like my bote. I think it's
      pretty neat.

      Moose
    • Mike <mea@mars.superlink.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        Hello Moose,
        I realize your question was to Cheryl, but I thought I would answer also.
        We have a 11 ft. Zodiac with highpressure inflatable floor, powered
        by a 9.9 hp two stroke Mercury.
        We also have a 12 ft. Portabote GIV powered with a 6hp four stroke Nissan.
        We used to own a 12 ft Portabote GIII powered with a 5 hp two stroke
        Nissan.

        Our current favorite for most trips is the GIV, but the Zodiac has its
        clear strong points.
        Performance-wise, the Zodiac is much faster; it does 18 to 20 mph
        on smooth water with two big folks and gear (total about 450 lb plus
        motor and fuel). It feels very stable and seaworthy.
        But if the water is choppy, the Zodiac seems to leap from wave to wave
        like a bucking horse, and you feel a need to hang on for dear life,
        or yo can slow to about 8 or 9 mph for a tolerable ride.
        THe Zodiac has relatively little useful space; it can carry well
        over 1000 pounds, but has room for only two in "comfort" and little
        space for fishing tackle or other gear.
        The Zodiac rolls up to a compact package that fits easily in the
        basement of my motorhome, or in the back of my SUV, comlpete with
        motor and all accessories. I can park in a town with no hint visible.
        As for leaks, it must be brought back to full pressure every two or
        three days, but I have never had a problem in mid ride. I have also
        never had a puncture and the boat seems to fairly tough, but I do
        exercise caution around sharp rocks or mangrove roots.

        The Portabote GIV, with the 6hp Nissan, does only about 11 to12 mph
        with the same load in smooth water, but it is almost as fast in a
        light chop, and feels more comfortable. It feels roomy, with lots of
        space to stretch out and carry fishing tackle, camping or picnic
        stuff, etc.
        It has room for four or five large folks, but cannot carry that much
        weight. It generally gives a much more comfortable but less exciting
        ride. I have no concern about leaks or punctures; the boat seems to
        be indestructable.
        The GIII with the 5 hp was similar, but noticably slower, only 9 to 10
        mph with our standard load.
        The Portabotes set up and fold down faster and easier than the Zodiac,
        (no pumping), and the smaller engine is lighter to handle.
        But I always worry wwhen parking my car in a town with the boat
        clearly visible on the roof.
        The bottom line, for us, is that we occasionally bring both boats,
        but usually we only bring the new Portabote, especially on long trips.
        I hope this helps you.
        Mike

        --- In californiaportaboters@yahoogroups.com, techmoose99