Decision time

  • wasdasam <neffster9@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
      New to both this and the New England group and am struggling
      concerning either going for an 10' Bote or a roll-up inflatable. I
      live in N. Jersey and will be fishing bays, inlets and some (close to
      shore) ocean. Am concerned about all the e-mail traffic concering
      cavitation at full speed and PB's recommended "fixes."
      Spoke to a nice fellow at PB who said he didn't see it as a problem.
      Does anyone have a definitive word on this?

      Also appreciate anyone's opinion on ocean use and how PB fares in low-
      grade ocean swells. Plan on using a 5 hp outboard and wearing my vest
      at all times!
      Many thanks
    • webghandi
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
        Hi,

        Welcome to the group.

        I think it is safe to say that enough members have reported this
        problem, myself included, to say that it is an issue. The problem is
        more aptly termed "ventilation", which is an entirely different
        behavior than cavitation. Personally, I added a stabilizer plate to
        my motor and eliminated the problem completely. The aluminum plate
        covers the prop and prevents it from sucking air when the bote is
        planing at higher speeds. If you look in the photo album "Webs
        photos", you will see some pictures. I found the plate also improved
        my hole shot and allowed the bote to plane at lower throttle settings
        than without it.
        When I was shopping for a boat, I soon realized that to get the same
        interior space and performance as the PB, I would need a much larger,
        heavier inflateable with a much larger, heavier, more expensive
        motor. Given that, the $50 plate to correct the ventilation problem
        was a bargain.

        I am not an ocean goer, but I have had my bote on some large northern
        lakes here in Canada during windy conditions with heavy swells and
        never had a problem. Good luck on your decision.

        Web.

        --- In californiaportaboters@yahoogroups.com, "wasdasam
        <neffster9@h...>" <neffster9@h...> wrote:
        > New to both this and the New England group and am struggling
        > concerning either going for an 10' Bote or a roll-up inflatable. I
        > live in N. Jersey and will be fishing bays, inlets and some (close
        > shore) ocean. Am concerned about all the e-mail traffic concering
        > cavitation at full speed and PB's recommended "fixes."
        > Spoke to a nice fellow at PB who said he didn't see it as a problem.
        > Does anyone have a definitive word on this?
        >
        > Also appreciate anyone's opinion on ocean use and how PB fares in
        low-
        > grade ocean swells. Plan on using a 5 hp outboard and wearing my
        vest
        > at all times!
        > Many thanks
      • ttsaintl
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
          I just finished my first season in Rhode Island with a 12' bote.
          I've had it in Narragansett bay with some significant boat wakes, as
          well as around the Watch Hill reefs during calm days. I've felt
          comfortable in these situations, only turning around when the chop
          from the wind/sea combination makes it uncomfortable to fish in.
          Drop me a note if you'd like more details about my experiences.
          Tim
          p.s. I'd recommend the 12' bote over the 10' if you'll be venturing
          into bigger waters like the ocean. Harder to muscle onto the roof
          of the car, but probably a slight gain in seaworthiness.

        • boboswald2002 <roswald@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
            Opinion? yes. Definitive? No.

            Breaking in my 6 hp Nissan on my 12' PB this past summer I found that
            once waves had little whitecaps on them I became uneasy. There is a
            point you reach after throttling down to safely negotiate these
            conditions when you realize that changing direction and running before
            a following sea is not wise. I can't imagine myself in the same
            conditions in a 10' PB or an inflatable; fishing from a PB in such
            conditions - unimaginable.

            I plan to fish two bays this summer, Shinnecock and Peconic. I NEVER
            plan to use the PB in the ocean. Too much water, too little boat. Just
            because you can see the shore doesn't mean you can return to it should
            your sole source of power fail. Oar/muscle power in a PB has its
            limits. In realtorspeak the word is location, location, location. In
            boaterspeak the word is discretion, discretion, discretion.

            My precautionary advice to you is, OCEAN FISH FROM AN OCEAN BOAT. The
            PortaBote is a terrific performer in waters suited to it. Enjoy many
            hours fishing from it.

            BE well,
            Bob

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
              Thanks boboswald2002 for your sage advice. Growing up on the South
              shore of Long Island, I know how nasty the Great South Bay can get
              when it wants to. The water around Sandy Hook are worse. Many times
              I've been frightened in a Whaler under rough conditions, and neither
              the PB or inflatable is a Whaler.
              I guess I'd appreciate others opinions on this topic, but
              boboswald2002 you've given me cold feet.
              I guess better cold, than not at all.
              Kind regards
            • Dan <dhall@senecacom.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
                I've never owned an inflatable. Actually the PB is the first boat
                I've owned. I understand that inflatables are prone to punctures.
                I'd hate being out on a bay or on the ocean in an inflatable and
                discover I had a leak in one of the air chambers. The PB is TOUGH.
                I will withstand impacts with sharp rock that would puncture even an
                aluminum boat. Maybe even fiberglass. The PB hull flexes to absorb
                impacts as well as the polypropylene being just plain tough. I
                haven't had any problems with ventilation with the motor adjusted to
                the proper tilt. I have a problem with the motor shaft rubbing the
                stern of the bote when running my 5hp Tohatsu outboard at 1/2
                throttle or more and the motor tilt adjusted to the 3rd hole. When I
                adjusted the motor tilt so that it didn't rub the stern it would
                ventilate, but that was with the tilt on the 4th or 5th hole.
                PortaBote says that problem only affected approximately 30 botes
                manufactured in early 2002. I happen to have been the recipient of
                one of those. I haven't performed the "fix" yet. As soon as the
                weather warms up some I will. The problem apparently came from the
                motor manufacturer redesigning the shaft and not informing their
                distributors. PortaBote says it has corrected the problem.

                I would go with the 12ft if you are going out on the ocean. I plan
                to take my 12ft to Myrtle Beach, SC this spring and go out in it if
                the water is calm. I have encountered large wakes on the river I run
                on and can't imagine rolling around like that constantly on the
                ocean. I believe I'd soon be loosing my lunch. I'm talking about
                2ft to 3ft swells close together. I don't think a slow rolling 2ft
                to 3ft sea would be too uncomfortable. I was in the US Navy for 6
                years and went through 30ft seas on a destroyer several times, so I'm
                sure a slow rolling sea in a PB couldn't be that bad. But that's
                just me. You must remember that in ocean going marine circles the PB
                is a dingy and a dingy isn't designed for extended ocean going
                excursions. A dingy is designed for shuttling between an anchored
                vessel and shore or between vessels on the open sea in calm weather.
                It isn't a Boston Whaler, but it doesn't have the Whaler price tag
                either. It's not all things to all people. The PB performs
                exceptionally well within it's design parameters.

                I'm sure you'll be much happier with a PB than an inflatable. PB set
                up time is considerably less than what I've read about inflatables,
                the PB is much more versatile for adding accessories, the PB is MUCH
                less susceptible to puncture and it uses a much smaller outboard to
                acheive the same performance. In order to get an inflatable of
                comparable size to perform the same as a 12ft PB you'd need at least
                a 15hp motor. Have you ever tried lifting a 15hp motor? They're not
                portable. These are my experiences and opinions. Hope they help.
                Dan