On Your Porta-Bote , How Do You Make Portable Your Depth Finder Unit ?

  • Jerome S
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
      Since I've owned my bote I've used a Humminbird Fishin' Buddy 140 , Which is a self contained unit that I'd clamp beside me on the hull. Recently I upgraded to a Humminbird 598 Side Imaging unit . I was wondering how you guys who have similar units , make them portable .

      The transducer I am mounting the same , I am more curious how you mount your monitor/screen.

      Feel free to provide photos. Thanks .
    • a1colors
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2013
        Im interested in depth and fish finders too?

        Any help?

        Thanks PK

        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Jerome S" <romesimms@...> wrote:

        > Since I've owned my bote I've used a Humminbird Fishin' Buddy 140 , Which is a self contained unit that I'd clamp beside me on the hull. Recently I upgraded to a Humminbird 598 Side Imaging unit . I was wondering how you guys who have similar units , make them portable .
        >
        > The transducer I am mounting the same , I am more curious how you mount your monitor/screen.
        >
        > Feel free to provide photos. Thanks .

      • Gerry Mitchell
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2013
          I know there will be suggestions and helpful tips, however, again the archives over the years would help a lot

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 2013
            There's also nothing wrong with asking for help!

            Are we encouraging participation or Discouraging!

            Personally I would like any input and maybe some newbies to stick around!

            If theres 90,000 Boats out there where all all the users??

            2-3 Post a day average, Semes like people keep being suggested to shut up!

            What the hell is wrong here! Free Speech

            If you dont like participation then hit delete.

            Otherwise good day and go fishing this weekend!
          • Chris K
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2013
              This is to JeromeS and Gary Mitchell.
              I have used two. One was an eagle with a battery pack of 8 D cells and
              screen in a case that was used for mounting the screen on, and a single
              beam that affixed it self to the transom with a suction cup. It shorted
              out after 7 years. With the single beam it was accurate to within 6
              inches of the transducer. After it died I went to a Humming bird
              Piranha Max. duel beam which has a wider area, but loses accuracy at
              about 3 feet. So from 3 feet to 0 feet you don't have any idea of the
              depth. I am in a lot of skinny water and sometimes I find it a pain. I
              think it is a model # 150pt or 160pt. Most of the time it is fine and I
              like the wider beam. The piriana has a 12 volt battery in a case and the
              screen is in the same case. It is a pretty nice compact unit. Both
              transducers will work at speed if you place them right and out of any
              disturbance, from the motor. about 1/2way between the motor and the
              side of the boat on the transom . I just have it on the seat in front of
              the back seat and over on the left side. On the right side I have a GPS.
              Hope this helps. CMK

              A1colors do not reply to me!! I do not want to hear anything you have to
              say.

              On 4/19/2013 9:31 AM, Gerry Mitchell wrote:

              > I know there will be suggestions and helpful tips, however, again the
              > archives over the years would help a lot
              >

              > ________________________________

            • marinermacman
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2013
                I started out with a setup for use with a trolling motor. I put the trolling motor battery (group 24 size) into a battery box for a Group 31 battery and that left space inside for a 7AH 12v UPS type sealed lead acid battery. I mounted the Humminbird base on the top of the battery box. With the new pulse type trolling motors the motor can cause interference with the finder so I wanted the finder powered by a separate battery.

                With the outboard on the transom there is no room for the trolling motor and the weight would be too great for our 10' Bote so out goes the battery box. I bought a Pelican type of plastic case (Seahorse) that is 11" x 10" x 5" high and has a foam block interior. The Humminbird unit fits inside the case with the battery and the power cable for travel. On the boat I attach the finder to the mount which is screwed to the lid of the case. The case I attach with a couple bungee cords to the rear thward. The height works for viewing while motoring along and does not interfere with the tiller handle of the outboard.

                An alternative solution along the same lines would be to buy one of the small plastic cutting boards that are around 9" x 7" x 3/8" thick and sell for $15 or less, and attach the finder mount to it and then bungee strap the board to a thwart. I wanted the case to be able to have everything together going from truck to boat and back to the truck. Case floats should it get dropped into the water and the foam insert protects the finder and battery should the drop be onto asphalt.

                There is a company in California, Sully, that makes a transponder and display mount but it is crude and the directions for assembly are a sick joke and the device requires more modification than it is worth to work properly. I bought one and promptly returned it for a refund.
              • portawilly
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2013
                  Oh seems your an expert at knocking Sully's cheap stuff! Isnt this a bit hypocritical, but god forbid that someone says the transom flexes too much! Who died and made you the leader! In my opinion the transom is cheaply made, flexes too much and needed to be strengthened on my 12 footer too.
                  Lame