Re: [California PortaBoters] alternate dolly

  • Bjarne Tennefoss
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
      Hi gang,

      I recently noticed some action in regard to a dolly for carrying a porta-bote.   I got plans for $5.00 approx on ebay.  Just search for boat dolly, canoe dolly, kayak dolly, etc and it should pop-up.   The plans are simple and were sent electronically.   I think that mine cost about $40-50 but I didn't keep all receipts.  It uses PVC pipe - I upped the size to 1" and it wasn't very difficult.   If I had really been picky I could have kept the cost down my getting all the PVC at the Home Depot store. I got most of my PVC at the local Ace and Do-
      it-Best stores  The most expensive items were the wheels - about $8 ea at harbor freight.  I made a slight modification to make it easier to put the assembled porta-bote on it and if any of you are interested I will shoot a picture and send it to you.

      The plans called for cementing the joints and in retrospect I would have left a couple of them uncemented so the dolly can be dis-assembled.

      Any questions? send me an email.

      Lee

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
        Hi guys,

        I'm quite inteteresting in your alternative dolly. May I have the pics for reference?

        Thank you in andvance.

        Happy New Year.

        Leo

        >________________________________
        > 寄件者: Bjarne Tennefoss <ballard770@...>
        >收件者: "PortaBote@yahoogroups.com" <PortaBote@yahoogroups.com>
        >寄件日期: 2012/12/30 (週日) 1:41 AM
        >主旨: Re: [California PortaBoters] alternate dolly
        >

        >Hi gang,

        >I recently noticed some action in regard to a dolly for carrying a porta-bote.   I got plans for $5.00 approx on ebay.  Just search for boat dolly, canoe dolly, kayak dolly, etc and it should pop-up.   The plans are simple and were sent electronically.   I think that mine cost about $40-50 but I didn't keep all receipts.  It uses PVC pipe - I upped the size to 1" and it wasn't very difficult.   If I had really been picky I could have kept the cost down my getting all the PVC at the Home Depot store. I got most of my PVC at the local Ace and Do-
        >it-Best stores  The most expensive items were the wheels - about $8 ea at harbor freight.  I made a slight modification to make it easier to put the assembled porta-bote on it and if any of you are interested I will shoot a picture and send it to you.

        >The plans called for cementing the joints and in retrospect I would have left a couple of them uncemented so the dolly can be dis-assembled.

        >Any questions? send me an email.

        >Lee
        >
        >________________________________

      • deweymrc
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
          You can save the $5 and just look on Youtube. Here's one, but there are many others listed on the left hand side of your monitor that are similar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwU21YEq60

          These folks that have built variations on this dolly, and they even go through and give you a parts list, and take you to Home Depot to show you what to buy and how much it costs. Also show you how to put it together. These dollys are really for a kayak, so I'm not sure how well they will work with a porta bote. But given how cheap they are to build, I might just try making one next spring to see how it works. The videos actually suggest NOT gluing certain parts together so that it can come apart and fit in the kayak once you are in the water.

          --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Bjarne Tennefoss <ballard770@...> wrote:

          > Hi gang,
          >
          > I recently noticed some action in regard to a dolly for carrying a porta-bote.   I got plans for $5.00 approx on ebay.  Just search for boat dolly, canoe dolly, kayak dolly, etc and it should pop-up.   The plans are simple and were sent electronically.   I think that mine cost about $40-50 but I didn't keep all receipts.  It uses PVC pipe - I upped the size to 1" and it wasn't very difficult.   If I had really been picky I could have kept the cost down my getting all the PVC at the Home Depot store. I got most of my PVC at the local Ace and Do-
          > it-Best stores  The most expensive items were the wheels - about $8 ea at harbor freight.  I made a slight modification to make it easier to put the assembled porta-bote on it and if any of you are interested I will shoot a picture and send it to you.
          >
          > The plans called for cementing the joints and in retrospect I would have left a couple of them uncemented so the dolly can be dis-assembled.
          >
          > Any questions? send me an email.
          >
          > Lee
          >

          > ________________________________

        • vhh1961
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
            it folds up to about 2 inches by 2 foot the wheels come off with a quick pin

            --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Fred Wagner <fredhwagner@...> wrote:

            > how much space does it take up in the Bote after you remove it when you're afloat ?
            >

            > ________________________________

          • mjk201289
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
              All this recent talk about dollies I thought I would share my prototype I built this summer. I refused to pay hundreds of dollars for a dolly that I could build myself for a fraction of the cost. (around $35 or less if you have spare pvc around)

              As deweymrc noted, the videos he posted are for kayaks and don't work well for a portabote. My dolly does and it looks cool! It's made from 1 1/4" pvc, 2 inflatable tires and a pool noodle. I don't have a parts list but I can surely provide something if anyone wants it.

              This was designed for a 10' portabote and it easily handles all my gear, motor, tank, etc. If you have a larger boat, larger motor, or more gear the pvc may need a little more muscle.

              The dolly has three parts: the axle, the base with mini guide ons, and the handle. I cement all connections on the axle and a few on the base. This allows the dolly to break down for easy storage in my vehicle and under the boat seats. I use a pool noodle on the base to provide cushion and buoyancy.

              I first open the boat and add the seats and transom. Then I lift the bow and slide the dolly back to the stern using the handle. I rest the bow back down and load the gear and motor. I can use tie downs on the axle if the terrain to the water is rough. I skip them if it's a nice smooth road/ramp. When I'm ready to move I use one hand to lift the bow and the other to grip the handle. I use both hands to maneuver the boat.

              The dolly performs wonderfully. I have no issues with it. Initially I used skinny lawn mower tires. I quickly upgraded to the inflatables. These bad boys handle the gravel, sand, rocks... everything.

              Check out some pics in the photo section under My Dolly Prototype.

              Regards,
              Michael

              --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "deweymrc" <phoebemrc@...> wrote:

              > You can save the $5 and just look on Youtube. Here's one, but there are many others listed on the left hand side of your monitor that are similar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwU21YEq60
              >
              > These folks that have built variations on this dolly, and they even go through and give you a parts list, and take you to Home Depot to show you what to buy and how much it costs. Also show you how to put it together. These dollys are really for a kayak, so I'm not sure how well they will work with a porta bote. But given how cheap they are to build, I might just try making one next spring to see how it works. The videos actually suggest NOT gluing certain parts together so that it can come apart and fit in the kayak once you are in the water.
              >
              > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Bjarne Tennefoss <ballard770@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi gang,
              > >
              > > I recently noticed some action in regard to a dolly for carrying a porta-bote.   I got plans for $5.00 approx on ebay.  Just search for boat dolly, canoe dolly, kayak dolly, etc and it should pop-up.   The plans are simple and were sent electronically.   I think that mine cost about $40-50 but I didn't keep all receipts.  It uses PVC pipe - I upped the size to 1" and it wasn't very difficult.   If I had really been picky I could have kept the cost down my getting all the PVC at the Home Depot store. I got most of my PVC at the local Ace and Do-
              > > it-Best stores  The most expensive items were the wheels - about $8 ea at harbor freight.  I made a slight modification to make it easier to put the assembled porta-bote on it and if any of you are interested I will shoot a picture and send it to you.
              > >
              > > The plans called for cementing the joints and in retrospect I would have left a couple of them uncemented so the dolly can be dis-assembled.
              > >
              > > Any questions? send me an email.
              > >
              > > Lee
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • Randy
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
                Here's a link to the photos.

                Randy

                On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 2:54 AM, mjk201289 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> [...]
                > boat dolly, canoe dolly, kayak dolly, etc and it should pop-up.� � The
                > plans are simple and were sent electronically.� � I think that mine cost
                > about $40-50 but� I didn't keep all receipts.� It uses PVC pipe - I upped
                > the size to 1" and it wasn't very difficult.� � If I had really been picky
                > I could have kept the cost down my getting all the PVC at the Home Depot
                > store.� I got most of my PVC at the local Ace and Do-
                > > > it-Best stores� The most expensive items were the wheels - about $8
                > ea� at harbor freight.� I made a slight modification to make it easier to
                > put the assembled porta-bote on it and if any of you are interested I will
                > shoot a picture and send it to you.
                > > > �
                > > > The plans called for cementing the joints and in retrospect I would
                > have left a couple of them uncemented so the dolly can be dis-assembled.

              • deweymrc
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
                  Looks great. You changed my mind - your design is what I'll try this spring. Thanks much. -Dewey

                  --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Randy <Cortsdad2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > NOT gluing certain parts together so that it can come apart and fit in the
                  > > kayak once you are in the water.

                  > > porta-bote.  I got plans for $5.00 approx on ebay. Just search for
                  > > boat dolly, canoe dolly, kayak dolly, etc and it should pop-up.  The
                  > > plans are simple and were sent electronically.  I think that mine cost
                  > > about $40-50 but I didn't keep all receipts. It uses PVC pipe - I upped
                  > > the size to 1" and it wasn't very difficult.  If I had really been picky
                  > > I could have kept the cost down my getting all the PVC at the Home Depot
                  > > store. I got most of my PVC at the local Ace and Do-
                  > > ea at harbor freight. I made a slight modification to make it easier to
                  > > put the assembled porta-bote on it and if any of you are interested I will
                  > > shoot a picture and send it to you.
                  > > have left a couple of them uncemented so the dolly can be dis-assembled.

                • macrijoe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 19, 2013
                    I just bought a 12'PB and need to make a dolly. I'd like to use PVC pipe. Would someone please clue me in. I've looked at older posts but would like some design or measurements. I don't want to pay 300.00 for a factory dolly.