Re: [California PortaBoters] Re: new bote

  • Fred Wagner
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 21, 2012
      I makes the Porta dolly units spring loaded, so you and put them on or take them off with one hand, without messing with wing nuts.
      Directions are in the Yahoo! library for the group. The other handy tip, not a mod, is to get a couple of webbing dog leashes,
      loop the handles around a seat, and use the clip on the handle of the Porta dolly, so if you drop it, it is still secured to the bote.
      alternatives are to put foam around the axles so they'll float, but I think using the leashes works pretty well!

      Fred Wagner, KQ6Q
      fredhwagner@...

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 21, 2012
        If you have the storage space (Alaska is roomy, yes!) you can handle a trailer when not in use, then you really
        don't need a Portabote that folds up either....
        Those of us in crowded cities carry the Bote folded up on roof bars on a vehicle, and use the dolly to move the
        assembled bote from the parking lot to the water.  They're also a LOT smaller to store than a trailer.
        And if you ever need to portage, you have them with you in the bote.
        When not in use, my bote is stored folded, hanging on a low fence, the rest on an enclosed porch.
        I use the sail rig with my bote, don't have an outboard. Have modified my oars so they can twist as well as pivot.

        Fred Wagner, KQ6Q
        fredhwagner@...

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 23, 2012
          Thanks Fred.

          I had a bit of difficulty finding the info so for the benefit of others...

          The photos are in the Photos section along the left edge (of the Group);
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaBote/photos/album/463189474/pic/1361671046/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

          The instructions are in the Files section along the left edge (of the Group); and the name is; Dolly - Spring-Action Modification.doc. Sorting the Flies by Creator (gadaboat) is the easiest way to find it, that's unless you know how to get Google to search the site.

          Gary

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 25, 2012
            I am planning on folding it up and carrying it under my fifth wheel the trailer will just be for getting to and from the campsite to water It will also be taken apart for shipping

            ________________________________

            dont have the porta dolly going to make my own trailer type dolly

            --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Fred Wagner <fredhwagner@...> wrote:

            > do the 'spring mod' on the Porta-Dolly
            >
            > Fred Wagner
            >

            > ________________________________
            >

            > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "vhh1961" wrote:
            > >
            > > just got my bote any suggestions on mods during this long winters nap
            > here in Alaska

          • Fred Wagner
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 26, 2012
              Virgil - if the place where you're going to assemble the boat is grassy or smooth sand, you can get by without the PortaDolly -

              but if the area is paved, or gravel, you're not going to want to drag it around - the PortaDolly solves that problem - you clamp it on
              at a balance point, and hold the boat near the bow and walk it over and into the water, then remove it once you're floating.

              Fred Wagner, KQ6Q
              fredhwagner@...