Re: Engine mount

  • rustylst
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In californiaportaboters@y..., "fantailaf" <fantailaf@y...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anybody know if installing an engine mount or bracket which
      > positions the motor about six inches further aft of the transom
      will
      > improve performance?
      >
      > regards,

      Hi,

      Sorry I don't know your name but I question, why on earth would you
      want to do that anyway ?.

      regards,

      Rusty.
    • fantailaf
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
        Sorry didn't introduce myself Rusty,

        My name's Tailaf,

        Sorry if I came across as a loony with that question. Well on a
        normal boat, positioning the outboard further aft of the transom
        helps it to plane earlier. I was just wondering if that would be the
        case for the porta-bote as I'm about to order a swivelling mount to
        go with the anti-cavitation plate fins.
      • rustylst
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
          --- In californiaportaboters@y..., "fantailaf" <fantailaf@y...> wrote:
          > Sorry didn't introduce myself Rusty,
          >
          > My name's Tailaf,
          >
          > Sorry if I came across as a loony with that question. Well on a
          > normal boat, positioning the outboard further aft of the transom
          > helps it to plane earlier. I was just wondering if that would be
          the
          > case for the porta-bote as I'm about to order a swivelling mount to
          > go with the anti-cavitation plate fins.

          Hi Tailaf,

          The danger is if you extend the motor too far over the transom of
          such a light boat like the portabote there would be a danger of it
          tipping up with the extra weight extended over the transom when no
          one is in it. In the UK I race a 2 man 13ft fibre glass offshore race
          boat with a modified 75hp Johnson Stinger outboard and we find that
          fitting a thrust block low down on the transom gets us up on the
          plane faster. I don't know if a thrust block would work on a bote
          though .

          Regards,
          Rusty
        • rustylst
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
            --- In californiaportaboters@y..., "fantailaf" <fantailaf@y...> wrote:
            > Sorry didn't introduce myself Rusty,
            >
            > My name's Tailaf,
            >
            > Sorry if I came across as a loony with that question. Well on a
            > normal boat, positioning the outboard further aft of the transom
            > helps it to plane earlier. I was just wondering if that would be
            the
            > case for the porta-bote as I'm about to order a swivelling mount to
            > go with the anti-cavitation plate fins.

            Hi Tailaf,

            The danger is if you extend the motor too far over the transom of
            such a light boat like the portabote there would be a danger of it
            tipping up with the extra weight extended over the transom when no
            one is in it. In the UK I race a 2 man 13ft fibre glass offshore race
            boat with a modified 75hp Johnson Stinger outboard and we find that
            fitting a thrust block low down on the transom gets us up on the
            plane faster. I don't know if a thrust block would work on a bote
            though .

            Regards,
            Rusty
          • boboswald2002
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2002
              Hi Tailaf,
              What stabilizer fins are you going to order?
              Be well,
              Bob