Which trailer is best?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
      OK...I'm lazy, and I'm tired of the assemble-unassemble task each time I want to take the bote out. Now that that's out there, let's get to the meat of my post.

      I'm thinking that trailering the bote will be far easier for me, and I will leave the bote on the trailer in my garage. Mind you, I've never used a boat trailer, and so my questions are:
      1. Will it really be much easier?
      2. Which trailer will be the easiest to use? I'm not very handy, and would prefer to not do many modifications to a trailer.
      3. Of course, I want it to be as cheap as possible too...Yes, I want my cake and icing!

      Thank you!
      Eric
    • runklepower
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hello Eric - I actually had the same issues, and I ended up buying a trailer made from a european company sorelpol.com - I got a "neptun nordica gn 124" In denmark everything is expensive, so I payed around 1500 dollars for it. It measures 2,68 meters X 1,44 meters inside. It has one axel(2 wheels) And all i do is lift the back of the boat up, slide it towards the car and strap it down gently.

        I own a 12,6" 93'er genesis III model wich is a bit heavier than the new line. So of course i prefer to have a helping hand for lifting the stern.

        Be well

        Ras

        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ebailyn@...> wrote:

        > OK...I'm lazy, and I'm tired of the assemble-unassemble task each time I want to take the bote out. Now that that's out there, let's get to the meat of my post.
        >
        > I'm thinking that trailering the bote will be far easier for me, and I will leave the bote on the trailer in my garage. Mind you, I've never used a boat trailer, and so my questions are:
        > 1. Will it really be much easier?
        > 2. Which trailer will be the easiest to use? I'm not very handy, and would prefer to not do many modifications to a trailer.
        > 3. Of course, I want it to be as cheap as possible too...Yes, I want my cake and icing!
        >
        > Thank you!
        > Eric

      • John Ko
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
          I was in the same bote as you - pun intended.  getting 2 old 2 and lazy 2 assemble/disassemble.

          U can scout around Craigslist etc and buy a secondhand trailer.  I dont mind 2ndhand/used stuff but when it comes to a fairly important, such as a trailer, well, u get what you pay for - sometimes.  With trailers you can't always see rust spots, worn bearings, etc, so I'd be leery about buying someone else's trailer - just no telling how well-used/abused they are.

          Harbor Freight has the perfect solution.  For just over $300 (which cheap used trailers run) you can get an assemble-yourself boat trailer for 12-14' boats rated at 600 capacity (which PBers are well under).  No special tools or skills needed (except for a wheel bearing grease packer).

          I'm real happy with mine.  Put together over a couple of lazy weekends.  Best thing is it's ALL BRAND NEW! Dont have to worry about burned out bearings, cracked tongues, wheels falling off.  And if they do, it's all my fault.

          As far as easier?  Well, if you've never trailered there is a bit of a learning curve involved, especially reversing.  It's nothing that a little practice in an empty parking lot won't solve.

          Good luck.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
            Thanks John...I have a 2004 12 ft Portabote, and so it appears that this
            would work well. Did you need to do any modifications (eg. Was anything
            needed to support the sides? Do you recommend a winch?).

            On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM, John Ko <jko9581@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I was in the same bote as you - pun intended. getting 2 old 2 and lazy 2
            > assemble/disassemble.
            >
            > U can scout around Craigslist etc and buy a secondhand trailer. I dont
            > mind 2ndhand/used stuff but when it comes to a fairly important, such as a
            > trailer, well, u get what you pay for - sometimes. With trailers you can't
            > always see rust spots, worn bearings, etc, so I'd be leery about buying
            > someone else's trailer - just no telling how well-used/abused they are.
            >
            > Harbor Freight has the perfect solution. For just over $300 (which cheap
            > used trailers run) you can get an assemble-yourself boat trailer for 12-14'
            > boats rated at 600 capacity (which PBers are well under). No special tools
            > or skills needed (except for a wheel bearing grease packer).
            >
            > I'm real happy with mine. Put together over a couple of lazy weekends.
            > Best thing is it's ALL BRAND NEW! Dont have to worry about burned out
            > bearings, cracked tongues, wheels falling off. And if they do, it's all my
            > fault.
            >
            > As far as easier? Well, if you've never trailered there is a bit of a
            > learning curve involved, especially reversing. It's nothing that a little
            > practice in an empty parking lot won't solve.
            >
            > Good luck.
            >

            > ________________________________

            Eric Bailyn, M.D.
            Clinical Research Consultant
            (760) 580-5801 office/cell
            (760) 730-1363 fax

          • John Ko
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
              Everyone wants 2 tinker & modify; it's human nature.  But not me.  However, I also purchased a swing jack, spare tire and carrier for my trailer (total package with trailer = under 450).  Everything works fine.

              If you go the portabote group and look up pictures from guys who submitted their trailer pics, you'll find some from Harbor Freight as well (they're fire engine red).  Do your research first; read their write-ups, likes/dislikes, before you put down hard cash.

              Good luck.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                Oh yeah, in answer to your question, side board guide ons are not absolutely needed, but I will be getting a pair  from Cabelas or Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, etc.  as they would definitely would make things easier (as in solo docking).

                ________________________________
                Thanks John...I have a 2004 12 ft Portabote, and so it appears that this
                would work well.  Did you need to do any modifications (eg. Was anything
                needed to support the sides?  Do you recommend a winch?).

                On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM, John Ko <jko9581@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I was in the same bote as you - pun intended.  getting 2 old 2 and lazy 2
                > assemble/disassemble.
                >
                > U can scout around Craigslist etc and buy a secondhand trailer.  I dont
                > mind 2ndhand/used stuff but when it comes to a fairly important, such as a
                > trailer, well, u get what you pay for - sometimes.  With trailers you can't
                > always see rust spots, worn bearings, etc, so I'd be leery about buying
                > someone else's trailer - just no telling how well-used/abused they are.
                >
                > Harbor Freight has the perfect solution.  For just over $300 (which cheap
                > used trailers run) you can get an assemble-yourself boat trailer for 12-14'
                > boats rated at 600 capacity (which PBers are well under).  No special tools
                > or skills needed (except for a wheel bearing grease packer).
                >
                > I'm real happy with mine.  Put together over a couple of lazy weekends.
                > Best thing is it's ALL BRAND NEW! Dont have to worry about burned out
                > bearings, cracked tongues, wheels falling off.  And if they do, it's all my
                > fault.
                >
                > As far as easier?  Well, if you've never trailered there is a bit of a
                > learning curve involved, especially reversing.  It's nothing that a little
                > practice in an empty parking lot won't solve.
                >
                > Good luck.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Matthew
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2011
                  --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, John Ko <jko9581@...> wrote:

                  > Oh yeah, in answer to your question, side board guide ons are not absolutely needed, but I will be getting a pair  from Cabelas or Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, etc.  as they would definitely would make things easier (as in solo docking).
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  Well, due to failing health, I'm having difficulty assembling my 10' bote so I opted for a trailer too. I still have the flexability of being able to tow my caravan and using the roof racks for my bote, but most weekends I wont be towing a caravan.
                  Assembling my bote every pancake day wont be an issue, but just for the weekends is a little too much for me at the moment.
                  I bought a jet ski trailer which they adjusted to suit my bote.
                  It fits perfectly.
                  They put long, carpeted skids on the outside and rollers in the middle for me.

                  I haven't picked it up yet. I will do during the week.

                  I have used a trailer with other boats before and it's not a difficult task.
                  I envisage that the porta bote will be even easier to trailer and launch from a boat ramp as it is a lot lighter that an aluminium tinny.
                • Bruce LaHargoue
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                    I'll second the Harbor Tool trailer. For about $350 its tough to beat price and quality wise. You will have to tinker with the bunks and roller but it works great.

                    Prior to getting the trailer, I found myself assembling the Bote at home and racking it upside on my Jeep. I just didn't have room for the seats and gear when the Bote was unassembled. I still carry it this way when I tow my Jeep behind my motor coach and can't take the trailer. So, having the trailer gives you some options.

                    I don't mount my engine to the boat when trailering. I don't want to take any chances with the strength of the Bote.

                    Bruce L.
                    Clovis, CA
                    12 Bote

                    --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <matthewrs@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, John Ko <jko9581@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Oh yeah, in answer to your question, side board guide ons are not absolutely needed, but I will be getting a pair  from Cabelas or Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, etc.  as they would definitely would make things easier (as in solo docking).
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • Ryan Hartos
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                      100% agree on the HF trailers. I don't use one for my bote but do use their
                      trailer's for utility, ATV's, etc. Hint: For assembly, ensure you have an
                      impact wrench (air or otherwise) as it will cut your assembly time in half
                      AND ensure the fasteners our tight. I also put a bead of lock-tight on each
                      bolt.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
                        absolutely do NOT tow your PB with the motor attached.

                        I'll second the Harbor Tool trailer. For about $350 its tough to beat price and quality wise. You will have to tinker with the bunks and roller but it works great.

                        Prior to getting the trailer, I found myself assembling the Bote at home and racking it upside on my Jeep. I just didn't have room for the seats and gear when the Bote was unassembled. I still carry it this way when I tow my Jeep behind my motor coach and can't take the trailer. So, having the trailer gives you some options.

                        I don't mount my engine to the boat when trailering. I don't want to take any chances with the strength of the Bote.

                        Bruce L.
                        Clovis, CA
                        12 Bote

                        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <matthewrs@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, John Ko <jko9581@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Oh yeah, in answer to your question, side board guide ons are not absolutely needed, but I will be getting a pair  from Cabelas or Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, etc.  as they would definitely would make things easier (as in solo docking).

                      • Bill Stoll
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 4, 2011
                          I bought the Harbor Freight trailer and put it together and got all the add-ons, by the time I was done I spent well over $450.00 and many hours. Yes initially it cost me $300.00 but it was not worth it for the labor & time aspect. And yes guide rails are essential. My advice buy one used. Good luck and happy boating.

                          Sent from my iPod
                        • Matthew
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 8, 2011
                            Hey Bruce.
                            That is a definite warning about towing with the motor attached.
                            Have you had some experience in this regard?