12'6" Bench support mounts in wrong place - need some help

  • crudenorm
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2011
      I'm restore a 12'6" 2000 Genesis IV with "plastic" benches and a plywood transom. The last owner rigged them in random places that where not damaged. I'm planning to do some repairs to get them in the right place. Are the rear and middle bench support mounts in the same place? What slots do they go in? Also front bench support mounts are incorrectly installed. Any help is appreciated.

      I have posted pictures.

    • sk
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2011
        Hi,

        The best way to see what goes where is to go the the instructions:
        http://www.porta-bote.com/instruct.htm

        Read especially paragraphs 4 and 5 and This boat has really had a tough
        life.

        PortaTech

        On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM, crudenorm <norm.lee@...> wrote:

        > I'm restore a 12'6" 2000 Genesis IV with "plastic" benches and a plywood
        > transom. The last owner rigged them in random places that where not damaged.
        > I'm planning to do some repairs to get them in the right place. Are the rear
        > and middle bench support mounts in the same place? What slots do they go in?
        > Also front bench support mounts are incorrectly installed. Any help is
        > appreciated.
        >
        > I have posted pictures.

      • crudenorm
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2011
          Thank you. For the front bench seat, can you confirm that the supports go furthest out to the edge? Yes, this thing is beat up so bad I'm a bit embarrassed and hope to get it in a decent shape before I'm seen in it. LOL!

          --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, sk <sk@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > The best way to see what goes where is to go the the instructions:
          > http://www.porta-bote.com/instruct.htm
          >
          > Read especially paragraphs 4 and 5 and This boat has really had a tough
          > life.
          >
          > PortaTech
          >
          > On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM, crudenorm <norm.lee@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I'm restore a 12'6" 2000 Genesis IV with "plastic" benches and a plywood
          > > transom. The last owner rigged them in random places that where not damaged.
          > > I'm planning to do some repairs to get them in the right place. Are the rear
          > > and middle bench support mounts in the same place? What slots do they go in?
          > > Also front bench support mounts are incorrectly installed. Any help is
          > > appreciated.
          > >
          > > I have posted pictures.

        • sk
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
            Hi,

            The front seat is the only seat that the ends angle in like a triangle. It's
            also the shortest seat. That's the easiest way to tell.

            let us now if you need any other questions answered.

            PortaTech

            On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM, crudenorm <norm.lee@...> wrote:

            > Thank you. For the front bench seat, can you confirm that the supports go
            > furthest out to the edge? Yes, this thing is beat up so bad I'm a bit
            > embarrassed and hope to get it in a decent shape before I'm seen in it. LOL!
            >
            > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, sk <sk@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > The best way to see what goes where is to go the the instructions:
            > > http://www.porta-bote.com/instruct.htm
            > >
            > > Read especially paragraphs 4 and 5 and This boat has really had a tough
            > > life.
            > >
            > > PortaTech
            > >
            > > On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM, crudenorm <norm.lee@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > I'm restore a 12'6" 2000 Genesis IV with "plastic" benches and a
            > plywood
            > > > transom. The last owner rigged them in random places that where not
            > damaged.
            > > > I'm planning to do some repairs to get them in the right place. Are the
            > rear
            > > > and middle bench support mounts in the same place? What slots do they
            > go in?
            > > > Also front bench support mounts are incorrectly installed. Any help is
            > > > appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > I have posted pictures.

          • drvstewart73
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
              Overall, I feel the Portabote seats are rather poorly constructed. After replacing about 4 seats at 100 dollars a pop (I use my PB on the ocean, much chop in the bay), I recently constructed a middle seat out of alder, sealed with Cetol Marine Sealer; I cut a 13 inch center piece of wood and attached it to the "seat" useing galvanized box hinges at the center line for the keel support. This actually has worked better than the original seat, and is strong enough to sit on. So, if your seats are not holding together, you could try what I did. To boot, only cost about 30 dollars instead of 100!

              --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, sk <sk@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > The front seat is the only seat that the ends angle in like a triangle. It's
              > also the shortest seat. That's the easiest way to tell.
              >
              > let us now if you need any other questions answered.
              >
              > PortaTech
              >
              > On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM, crudenorm <norm.lee@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Thank you. For the front bench seat, can you confirm that the supports go
              > > furthest out to the edge? Yes, this thing is beat up so bad I'm a bit
              > > embarrassed and hope to get it in a decent shape before I'm seen in it. LOL!
              > >
              > > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, sk <sk@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > The best way to see what goes where is to go the the instructions:
              > > > http://www.porta-bote.com/instruct.htm
              > > >
              > > > Read especially paragraphs 4 and 5 and This boat has really had a tough
              > > > life.
              > > >
              > > > PortaTech

              > > plywood
              > > damaged.
              > > rear
              > > go in?

            • crudenorm
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 17, 2011
                Building from wood does seem easier than to try to repair the benches and support brackets. Did you use 3/4" thick wood? Thanks.

              • sk@portaboat.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 18, 2011
                  You may be putting the rear seat where the cente seat belongs on this 11
                  year old boat.

                • drvstewart73
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 22, 2011
                    I did use 3/4", 7.5" wide(which, in retrospect, I could have gone with the wider, 9.25in available at Home Depot); then I used a chisel to knock down the outside 1" on each side to get it to fit into the slots. I used galvanized hinges on a center piece of wood, making it slightly longer(about 1/2-1") than the existing center support to ensure it would make contact with the center keel while underway.(the center supports tend to swing freely on the forward seats while underway) I used Cetol Marine sealer over the whole thing to prevent warping/cracking. I also just made a front seat this way, with the bonus of being able to install a cleat on top so I can tie off my anchor easily. I will try to post some pics when I get a chance!