Broken Middle Seat Bracket

  • happyg12345
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
      Hi fellow porta-boters. I've a bit of a problem, one of the brackets that hold the middle seat in place has the top part of the plastic broken off it, there is a kotter pin that inserts through this bracket, and through the seat to hold it in place. It happened last time I was out.

      I have one of the older models that has the "fins/flaps" on the underneath near the transom. The seat bracket is plastic and the seats are marine grade plywood.

      I would appreciate any suggestions ho how to fix and what to possibly replace the broken bracket with. I'm pretty sure the existing bracket is not salvageable.

      Thanks in advance for any advice.
    • sk
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
        Contact Porta-Bote for seat bracket replacement for your 25+year old Bote.
        650-961-5334.

        PortaTech

        On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM, happyg12345 <happy12345@...> wrote:

        > Hi fellow porta-boters. I've a bit of a problem, one of the brackets that
        > hold the middle seat in place has the top part of the plastic broken off it,
        > there is a kotter pin that inserts through this bracket, and through the
        > seat to hold it in place. It happened last time I was out.
        >
        > I have one of the older models that has the "fins/flaps" on the underneath
        > near the transom. The seat bracket is plastic and the seats are marine grade
        > plywood.
        >
        > I would appreciate any suggestions ho how to fix and what to possibly
        > replace the broken bracket with. I'm pretty sure the existing bracket is not
        > salvageable.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any advice.

      • chadaliso
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
          Well, you'll need a drill for sure and a rivet tool would be good. Drill out the existing rivets. Ditch the lower part of the bracket- no use for it. And then either rivet the new one on or use really short bolt and nut. The reason why rivets are better is because you need the space for the seat to sit into the bracket. And rivets don't snag stuff since they are flush.

          I fabricated an aluminum bracket that will probably last alot longer than any plastic bracket would.

          I noticed the newer botes have metal brackets.
          Sandy, are the replacement ones you guys sell these days the newer metal ones? Do the holes line up with the older botes?

          -Chad

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
            Yes and yes.

            On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:15 AM, chadaliso <chadaliso@...> wrote:

            > Well, you'll need a drill for sure and a rivet tool would be good. Drill
            > out the existing rivets. Ditch the lower part of the bracket- no use for it.
            > And then either rivet the new one on or use really short bolt and nut. The
            > reason why rivets are better is because you need the space for the seat to
            > sit into the bracket. And rivets don't snag stuff since they are flush.
            >
            > I fabricated an aluminum bracket that will probably last alot longer than
            > any plastic bracket would.
            >
            > I noticed the newer botes have metal brackets.
            > Sandy, are the replacement ones you guys sell these days the newer metal
            > ones? Do the holes line up with the older botes?
            >
            > -Chad
            >
            > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com <PortaBote%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "happyg12345" <happy12345@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi fellow porta-boters. I've a bit of a problem, one of the brackets that
            > hold the middle seat in place has the top part of the plastic broken off it,
            > there is a kotter pin that inserts through this bracket, and through the
            > seat to hold it in place. It happened last time I was out.
            > >
            > > I have one of the older models that has the "fins/flaps" on the
            > underneath near the transom. The seat bracket is plastic and the seats are
            > marine grade plywood.
            > >
            > > I would appreciate any suggestions ho how to fix and what to possibly
            > replace the broken bracket with. I'm pretty sure the existing bracket is not
            > salvageable.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance for any advice.

          • Rick
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
              This happened to mine old "Double Ender" just last year. I had bought it used and apparently it was somehow abused over the past 20 years and two previous owners. I contacted Porta Bote and they sold me a new one with the proper rivets, but it wasn't cheap. I considered making one because I ususally just make everything else I need when possible. After speaking with the Port Bote rep on the phone he pointed out that it had compound angles, and being a practical person, I know when to just buy the correct parts and so I reluctently made the purchase.

              I have to tell you though, with my 40 years of using a pop riveter, those are the TOUGHEST damn rivets I've ever come across. I broke my old riveter (which had better days) and bought the biggest, bada** Stanley one they sold. I still fought those few rivets for over an hour and felt like I ran a marathon by the time I got them in there. I concluded that the factory DOES NOT use a pop rivet gun or the guy doing it would look like the Incredible Hulk. They must have a pneumatic set up or something. Anyway, the brkt works great and the rivets WILL NOT ever give out.

              Good Luck!

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
                Thanks for the input all, after much thought (and getting the ok from my better half!) I've decided to get a NEW! porta bote instead of fixing the old one. I'm psyched!!!