Torqeedo on Portabote 14' - ??

  • n2kic
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
      Has anyone tried the new Torqeedo 1003 on a Portabote?
      I have a 14 ft PB and sometimes I like to use it where
      gasoline motors are unwelcome.
      Torqeedo is advertising a folding solar panel which they claim
      can power the motor at moderate speed on a sunny day.
      It also is claimed to recharge the 1003 battery in about 8 hours of sun.
      Would the 23" or 29" length (short or long shaft) be preferable.

      If this motor is a good match to the boat, perhaps Sandy should
      sell it.

      Mike
    • sk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
        Hi Mike,

        We're waiting for the price to come down. It's made in Germany and the U.S.
        Dollar is finally rising against the Euro. So, this should translate into a
        much lower price in the months ahead.

        Probably one of the members is using one and can give you advice as to
        length, etc.

        Sandy

        On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM, n2kic <mikelist@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried the new Torqeedo 1003 on a Portabote?
        > I have a 14 ft PB and sometimes I like to use it where
        > gasoline motors are unwelcome.
        > Torqeedo is advertising a folding solar panel which they claim
        > can power the motor at moderate speed on a sunny day.
        > It also is claimed to recharge the 1003 battery in about 8 hours of sun.
        > Would the 23" or 29" length (short or long shaft) be preferable.
        >
        > If this motor is a good match to the boat, perhaps Sandy should
        > sell it.
        >
        > Mike

      • Danny
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 15, 2010
          I'm using a Cruise 2.0 short shaft on my 10' Portabote and I'm getting approx. 7.5 mph without gears.

          For comparision, a 55# MK Riptide pushes the same setup at a 2.5 mph clip, and a 3.5hp Tohatshu would tops out at 11mph.

          FYI

        • johnorita@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2010
            I have a 3.5 Tohatsu on a 10 foot, and there is NO WAY I have ever seen 11
            mph. The best maybe 7...and there is really NO difference between half
            throttle and anything above half except more noise! Am I doing something
            wrong?

            --- In _PortaBote@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:PortaBote@yahoogroups.com) , sk
            <sk@...> wrote:

            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > We're waiting for the price to come down. It's made in Germany and the
            U.S.
            > Dollar is finally rising against the Euro. So, this should translate
            into a
            > much lower price in the months ahead.
            >
            > Probably one of the members is using one and can give you advice as to
            > length, etc.
            >
            > Sandy
            >
            > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM, n2kic <mikelist@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Has anyone tried the new Torqeedo 1003 on a Portabote?
            > > I have a 14 ft PB and sometimes I like to use it where
            > > gasoline motors are unwelcome.
            > > Torqeedo is advertising a folding solar panel which they claim
            > > can power the motor at moderate speed on a sunny day.
            > > It also is claimed to recharge the 1003 battery in about 8 hours of
            sun.
            > > Would the 23" or 29" length (short or long shaft) be preferable.
            > >
            > > If this motor is a good match to the boat, perhaps Sandy should
            > > sell it.
            > >
            > > Mike

          • mattjahans
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2010
              Quite simply your boat is not getting on the plane. MY 10 foot boat will only do this with it's 4HP Yamaha with only me aboard. With a passenger it drops to about 7 MPH.

              Try it solo, open up the throttle and lean forward (or put any luggage to the front) then the bow should drop and you'll almost double in speed. This assummes that the 3.5HP Tohatsu will achieve this, but the other says it does so try it.

              Regards

              Matt
              http://www.hechtjaeger.co.uk

              --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, johnorita@... wrote:

              > I have a 3.5 Tohatsu on a 10 foot, and there is NO WAY I have ever seen 11
              > mph. The best maybe 7...and there is really NO difference between half
              > throttle and anything above half except more noise! Am I doing something
              > wrong?
            • Danny
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 17, 2010
                Precisely! Depending on your weight distribution but with just me, it would cruise around at 5mph with my 3.5 Tohatshu when WOT.

                But once lean forward the boat almost becomes a submarine and plane up to 11mph. First time scares the heck outta me! LOL