Methinks I got taken.. Used boat leaks at center of transom. Any ideas?

  • dale_chabino
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 4:33 PM
      I knew one day this would happen to me....

      I bought this boat used, it looked like it was in very good shape, but had not been in the water for a few years. Today is the first time I put it in water... IT LEAKS!! at the center of the transom, a LOT. It appears that there is a rubber gasket at that folding point and it's shrunken or ???? Anyone have any ideas of how to fix? Sandy? this boat is a 1998, so it's obviously out of warrantee. I'm in Stockton CA, so If I need to, I could transport it to Morgan Hill??????
    • sk
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 8:26 PM
        Buying a used boat from an individual is like buying a used car from an
        individual. If they're honest you can do well. However, if they're not, you
        can get stuck.

        If a person calls us before he purchases a Bote our people advise him/her to
        test it first. if it doesn't leak, they have a Bote. If it does, something
        serious happened happened to it during its lifetime.

        With over 90,000 boats out the, many up to 40 years old the Bote has proven
        itself over and over again.

        Now, to answer your question:

        1- How To Test where it's coming in:
        With boat opened and bow raised up on a rock or table, rear
        seat plus transom inserted. Wait for water to run out the bottom tubes if
        recently used in the water. After this stops and no water is dripping out,

        2- Take a screw driver and pry off the tubing about 5 inches from the center
        (or side end of the tube) where water came out.

        This exposes the stainless steel staples. Take a vise grip and cinch each
        staple hard.
        You won't hurt the staples.

        Now pour a gallon of water into rear of boat and tip the rear of hull
        downward
        again so water is exposed to the rear seams.

        Watch to see if water comes out.If you fixed it, the water won't leak out
        anymore.

        Try it.

        On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM, dale_chabino <skippydc@...> wrote:

        > I knew one day this would happen to me....
        >
        > I bought this boat used, it looked like it was in very good shape, but had
        > not been in the water for a few years. Today is the first time I put it in
        > water... IT LEAKS!! at the center of the transom, a LOT. It appears that
        > there is a rubber gasket at that folding point and it's shrunken or ????
        > Anyone have any ideas of how to fix? Sandy? this boat is a 1998, so it's
        > obviously out of warrantee. I'm in Stockton CA, so If I need to, I could
        > transport it to Morgan Hill??????

      • dale_chabino
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2 9:36 AM
          Sandy,
          When I opened the boat, I put it in the pool, and before I got in, I noticed it was leaking badly. I got in anyway to check it out and see where the leak was. Looked like it was coming from the transom. Soooo, being the inquisitive person I am, I stil wanted to verify the stability of the boat, so I stood on one side, leaned over, and promptly fell into the pool... Ok, so I drug the boat out, and propped it up on the deck, bow raised about 2 feet above the stern. after the side pipes drained, they quit. the center tiny fold, just between the two stainless rivited pieces was leaking still a bit. there appears to be some kind of yellowish rubber in that fold.

          Here's the kicker. The boat had about 2-3 gallons of water in it, and the "drip" from the center of the transom was (and still is) just a drip with a 10-15 second interval. HOWEVER, taking a hose with a nozzle gun on it and pointing it at that spot on the OUTSIDE of the transom, I can visibly see water going INTO the boat!!. It won't come out, but it goes in like crazy.

          I'll try and clamp the 4 stainless rivet tighter today, but after looking at it this morning (boat still has lots of water in it, and the drip is now at about a 1-2 minute interval), the rivets look pretty tight to me. I'll let you know. I have put a photo in the photo's folder of that spot on the transom.

          Dale

          Here's the question I'm afraid of the answer to.. Does PB repair things like this?

          --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, sk <sk@...> wrote:

          > Buying a used boat from an individual is like buying a used car from an
          > individual. If they're honest you can do well. However, if they're not, you
          > can get stuck.
          >
          > If a person calls us before he purchases a Bote our people advise him/her to
          > test it first. if it doesn't leak, they have a Bote. If it does, something
          > serious happened happened to it during its lifetime.
          >
          > With over 90,000 boats out the, many up to 40 years old the Bote has proven
          > itself over and over again.
          >
          > Now, to answer your question:
          >
          > 1- How To Test where it's coming in:
          > With boat opened and bow raised up on a rock or table, rear
          > seat plus transom inserted. Wait for water to run out the bottom tubes if
          > recently used in the water. After this stops and no water is dripping out,
          >
          > 2- Take a screw driver and pry off the tubing about 5 inches from the center
          > (or side end of the tube) where water came out.
          >
          > This exposes the stainless steel staples. Take a vise grip and cinch each
          > staple hard.
          > You won't hurt the staples.
          >
          > Now pour a gallon of water into rear of boat and tip the rear of hull
          > downward
          > again so water is exposed to the rear seams.
          >
          > Watch to see if water comes out.If you fixed it, the water won't leak out
          > anymore.
          >
          > Try it.
          >

          > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM, dale_chabino <skippydc@...> wrote:
          >

          > > I knew one day this would happen to me....
          > >
          > > I bought this boat used, it looked like it was in very good shape, but had
          > > not been in the water for a few years. Today is the first time I put it in
          > > water... IT LEAKS!! at the center of the transom, a LOT. It appears that
          > > there is a rubber gasket at that folding point and it's shrunken or ????
          > > Anyone have any ideas of how to fix? Sandy? this boat is a 1998, so it's
          > > obviously out of warrantee. I'm in Stockton CA, so If I need to, I could
          > > transport it to Morgan Hill??????

        • sk
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2 9:51 AM
            Try Tear-Aid Type A. It's a clear expandable polypropylene tape.

            Available at cabelas.com

            First clean the surfaces with alcohol. You can even sand it to roughen it
            up.
            Apply this tape (don't get it on your fingers - almost impossible to
            remove).
            Let it cure for 48 hours. Make sure you actually press it into the split
            area.
            Wait a couple of hours. Then apply a second layer.
            Wait a couple of hours. Then apply a third layer. Let cure for 24 hours.