Re: [California PortaBoters] Re: Grommets and dock lines???

  • Ralph Bosse
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
      Ken, I apologize. I'd thought the original name of the cleat system mentioned was Gator Grip. It seemed logical to this "greying" mind. The marketed product name is Panther Cleat. Cabela's, Bass Pro Marine World all sell the item.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
        Ralph,

        Thanks! I see what you mean ...they're a "no knot" cleat.

        How did you attach them to the bote? Some sort of screws into the seat and transom? I'm leery of screwing into the plastic material...

        Ken

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        What are Gator Grip cleats? boat cleats attached with Gator Grip tape?

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        I added Gator Grip cleats to each side of the transom and to each side of the front seat. They work well enough to secure an anchor line, dock line, fish stringer, bait bucket and so on. You can find them either in hard plastic or metal. I swear by them. I have them on 3 other boats and prefer them over oversized conventional cleats.

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        I tie my stern line to a dedicated eye bolt w/nylok jam nut I installed in my transom plate. I installed a second one on the other side for the motor tether chain with a bolt/locking type U-bolt used for rigging stuff. My bow line is run through the nose grommets.

        --- In PortaBote@yahoogrou ps.com, jamestmckean@ ... wrote:

        > How do I add a grommet to the stern port and starboard sides? I do not know why there is not one there as this seems the most obvious way to rig dock lines. Is drilling recommended or will this void my warranty? How else should I add cleats @ the stern???
        >

        > --Jimbo
        >
        > Dragon Fly H27
        >
        > Sea Biscuit PB8

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
          I mounted galvanized dock rings and plates (many marine/hardware stores) to the inboard side of my plywood transom ('95 model), one each side. Bolted them through with SS screws, washers, and lock nuts, and imbedded the locknuts & washers on the outboard side of the transom so they wouldn't rub on the plastic stern. Work great, spreads any load, easy to attach lines to, could probably be used to lift the boat, and lay flush enough for storage. Rick

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
            I've an older model PBote Ken. I mounted them using the same method Rick described.