Seat Reinforcement

  • PAUL QUATRALE
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hello,does anyone have a seat mod for the plastic seats. I just acquired a '06 12 footer and I'm a little apprehensive about my 250 lb "load" on the seats too! On another note, I'll be adding a small sail, 45 sq ft, from a donor boat and was interested if others have pics they would like to share of these mods. Thanks, Paul Q, Massachusetts
    • Ricky L Carroll
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
        I wouldn' t think it would be a problem at your weight. I now weigh less, but last year I was around 245 and had no problems at all. Now that I'm riding a bicycle about 120 miles a week, the lard is starting to slip off. My two boys have shared the center seat and their combined weight is over 250 lbs. That said, the load is more, er, "distributed" than it is with our single/large butts.

        We'll be taking our 12' bote out on a camping trip over Easter. I'm looking forward to the trip.

        Ricky
        12' bote
        6hp Tohatsu LS (my sailboat kicker)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
          Thanks for sharing yor insight. I'm shopping for an outboard and I have passed up a couple of good deals on long shaft models. Do you have any problem with the long shaft installed on your bote? Thanks, Paul Q

          To: PortaBote@yahoogroups.com

          Hello,does anyone have a seat mod for the plastic seats. I just acquired a '06 12 footer and I'm a little apprehensive about my 250 lb "load" on the seats too! On another note, I'll be adding a small sail, 45 sq ft, from a donor boat and was interested if others have pics they would like to share of these mods. Thanks, Paul Q, Massachusetts

        • dmoreno78
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
            Porta-Bote says not to use long shaft outboard motors.

            --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, PAUL QUATRALE <pdq54@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for sharing yor insight. I'm shopping for an outboard and I
            >have passed up a couple of good deals on long shaft models. Do you
            >have any problem with the long shaft installed on your bote? Thanks,
            >Paul Q
          • Ricky L Carroll
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
              No real problems. The preferred length is 15", I believe, and I would certainly go that route in buying a new/used motor. In my case, I already had the LS on the sailboat, so I gave it a go.

              Just a few negatives after using it about a dozen times:

              1) It increases the draft of the bote--this is my only real complaint. 5" doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to notice (Okay...you can laugh at the joke you made up in your head).
              2) Water builds up on the front of the shaft, on top of the cavitation plate, when going over hull speed. Because of this, I will get a little water over the transom at times. Not enough to be concerning, but enough that I carry a nice big bailer to clear out the weight every so often. This might be a problem with any motor, I don't know.
              3) Theorectically, the longer shaft can put more stress on the transom under power due to the longer lever-arm it represents. I've watched for, but not seen, flexing under WOT. I think the added stress is negligible.

              The good news is that the bote still moves along briskly. I will likely pick up a new motor, probably another one for Portabote (where I got the one I used), but it will be short shaft model.

              Ricky
              2006 12' Bote
              6HP Tohatsu LS
              Conroe, Texas