Re: Retrieving bote w/dolly

  • techmoose99
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2002
      I think I remember reading somewhere on the forum that the method
      used to attach the pole to the axle was to get a PVC "tee" and cut
      it in half and then use hose clamps to secure it to the axle. Then
      you could take your PVC pipe with a threaded end on it and attach it
      to the dolly. If you keep your PVC pipe sections short you can just
      put them in the bote with you.

      Moose
    • chetc43537
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In californiaportaboters@y..., techmoose99 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I think I remember reading somewhere on the forum that the method
        > used to attach the pole to the axle was to get a PVC "tee" and cut
        > it in half and then use hose clamps to secure it to the axle. Then
        > you could take your PVC pipe with a threaded end on it and attach it
        > to the dolly. If you keep your PVC pipe sections short you can just
        > put them in the bote with you.
        >
        > Moose

        Thanks for the info. I was at Home Depot today looking at fittings and
        trying to figure how to attach a handle to the axle, and I sure didn't
        think of that. If I use a threaded end to attach the handle to the
        tee, would I then "pin" the other sections of the handle together with
        a hitch pin or something? Or is there a better method?

        Chet
      • techmoose99
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
          For adding multiple sections, you can buy a coupling(adapter) that
          has a slip/glue female on one side, and a threaded male on the
          other. So the next section would use a coupling that has a threaded
          female on one side and a slip/glue female on the other. Sorry I
          don't know the proper terminology for this type of coupling but they
          are readily available. Essentially you are just adding threaded ends
          to the PVC pipe.

          As far as attaching the tee to the axle, I also had another idea, but
          I haven't tried myself. As I recall, a piece of 1" schedule 40 PVC
          fits nicely over the axle. So my thought was that you could buy a
          tee for 1" PVC and then glue in two short sections of the 1" PVC so
          that the tee would then have a good fit over the axle. You would
          then have to drill and pin/bolt the tee to the axle. This would
          eliminate having to use hose clamps, but you would want to be careful
          trying to drill a nice straight hole through both the tee and the
          axle, and keep the tee at the desired angle. A drill press would be
          handy for this. If you let the short sections of 1" PVC stick out of
          the tee about 3/4" on each side and drill through them, it might make
          the drilling easier.

          Moose