Re: Oil for Nissan 9.8

  • pianewman
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
      Thanks for the responses. The owner's manual is particularly
      vague, "Use FCW 10W-30/40 of rated SF, SG, SH, SJ 10w-40 ". The
      website specifically says no synthetics.
      I'm no chemical engineer, but I don't understand the low operating
      temperature issue either. That's why I asked the question, as
      experience in the field (on the water!) is probably more valuable
      than from the lab.--- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "ronaldwf2000"
      <ronaldwf2000@...> wrote:

      > I would stick to the manufacturer's recommendations, but I don't
      > recall seeing that in my owner's manual. I'm curious why lower
      > operating temperatures would work against synthetic oils. Usually
      > lower temperatures cause accumulation of water and volatiles in
      oil.
      > The superior additive packages in synthetics (about 10 or more
      > additives) help to prevent corrosion and sludge formation. The low
      > unsaturation also helps to reduce oxidation. Many small engine
      users
      > are not diligent about changing the oil regularly, so the synthetics
      > can provide a margin of safety that's worth the extra cost.
      >
      > My opinion as a chemist who worked for a company that makes the
      > synthetic polymer and many of the lube oil additives.
      >
      > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "pianewman" <pianewman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for your experience. I just read on the Nissan site that,
      > > because of low operating temps, synthetics are NOT RECOMMENDED.
      As