Re: Transporting assembled Bote without trailer - keeping the Porta in Porta Bote.

  • racebrakes
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
      Hi Pete,

      Close ups added as promised. Should all be pretty self explanatory.

      Cheers, Steve.

      --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "petekennett" <petekennett@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      back
      > > and don't clutter up the house or garage.
      > >
      > > The hardest part of loading the Bote is flipping it upside down -
      > > which isn't really that hard to do. I flip it upside down so that
      > the
      > > bow is near the towbar area. I then lift the bow and hop
      underneath
      > > it so I can push the bow to rest on the rear roof rack bar.
      > >
      > > Then it's just a matter of lifting the transom up and shoving it
      > on.
      > > Having the load stops on the rear bar acts as a guide and stops
      you
      > > shoving the Bote off the side.
      > >
      > > The load stops on the front bar are positioned much further in to
      > > catch and guide the bow into position. They also stop you shoving
      > the
      > > Bote too far forward.
      > >
      > > Then 2 tie downs go across the bote from load stop to load stop
      and
      > 1
      > > tie down from the "drag handle" of the Bote to the front bumper.
      > >
      > > I'll take some relevant photos on the next excursion and post
      them
      > > for those who are interested.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Steve.
      > >

      > > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "petekennett" <petekennett@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Steve,
      > > > Looks a lovely place there and thanks for putting the photos up
      > for
      > > > everybody to look longingly at....
      > > > Your method of roof mounting your bote has been done by a
      friend
      > of
      > > > mine who also lives here in the UK. The problem I would have,
      > along
      > > > with lot of others, is that I don't all have the space to keep
      > the
      > > > bote assembled and if I was going to assemble it before I put
      it
      > on
      > > > my roof, well I may as well do that at the waterside. All my
      > seats
      > > > etc. are in a Bigfoot bag which fits nicely in the back of my
      > > estate
      > > > car with part of the back seat folded forward.
      > > > How easy is it to load onto your car? I would imagine that I
      > would
      > > > have a good go and manage it myself but if I were older and not
      > as
      > > > strong, would I be able to do it on my own? I always fish with
      > > > another angler but the boat is stored at my house and I pick
      him
      > up
      > > > on the way there. This means that I have to load the car up on
      my
      > > own
      > > > and simplicity has to be the catchword. Any chance of some more
      > > > photos a bit closer up, so we can see exactly how you've

    • petekennett
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
        Hi Steve,
        Excellent photos, very self explanatary!
        Once I win the lottery and buy a bigger house and a vehicle just for
        my bote..... ;-)
        Once I get myself sorted (and understand it better)i'm going to put
        up a few pics of my bote and fishing trips on it.