Re: [California PortaBoters] weight capacity plate? which one is right?

  • Pete Kennett
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi David,
      I'm not 100% sure but is the 670lbs the capacity for everything inside the boat including motor, fuel and fishing gear, whilst the 570lbs is for the weight of people for the boat?
      Sounds feasible to me!
      Cheers, Pete.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
        --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, Pete Kennett <petekennett@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi David,
        > I'm not 100% sure but is the 670lbs the capacity for everything
        inside the boat including motor, fuel & and fishing gear, whilst the
        570lbs is for the weight of people for the boat?
        > Sounds feasible to me!
        > Cheers, Pete.

      • petekennett
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
          By the way, the "nbsp;" that came after "fuel" means that my computer
          has a mind of its own...
          Cheers, Pete.

          wrote:

          > Hi David,
          > I'm not 100% sure but is the 670lbs the capacity for everything
          inside the boat including motor, fuel and fishing gear, whilst
          the 570lbs is for the weight of people for the boat?
          > Sounds feasible to me!
          > Cheers, Pete.

        • Ricky L Carroll
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
            I had the same question, since the Portabote site says the capacity is "670lbs." while the placard on the boat I bought (still not picked up) said, "570lbs." Hence, my confusion on whether or not I bought a 12' model and whether or not it was new. I didn't think to look for a date on the placard.

            This boat was puportedly bought new less than a year ago and remains untitled. It has never been in the water.

            I wonder about the change...

            Ricky
            Conroe, Texas

          • portabot
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
              The 12' boat has had a 670 pound maximum capacity since late 1992. The
              introduction of the Genesis III series. The 10' model has always had a
              maximum capacity of 585 pounds since late 1992. The introduction of
              the Genesis III series.The 8' model has had a 445 pound maximum
              capacity since late 1992. The introduction of the Genesis III series.

              These Botes have been manufactured since 1969 and have had many design
              changes. In addition, Coast Guard requirements have changed over the
              years. Porta-Bote International has always complied with the latest
              requirements. Whenever a new model or modification were introduced,
              that model was tested by U.S. Coast Guard as well as JCI (Japan Coast
              Guard) and European equivalents plus other agencies around the world.
              Otherwise these boats could not have been sold.

              Perhaps you can upload a maximum capacity plate with a picture of the
              boat to which it is attached. Upload to sk@... so I'll
              receive it on my computer.

              Sandy

              --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "farisgood" <farisgood@...> wrote:

              > Portaboters,
              >
              > I noticed that the weight capacity for 12' bote is 670lbs on
              > portabote.com, while many botes, including '02 models, have a capacity
              > plate of 570lbs. I wonder if it's just a change of the way capacity is
              > labeled, or the newer botes really have more weight capacity? I know
              > that Sally or other portabote staff watch this group closely. So I am
              > asking this question here.
              >
              > David

            • Ricky L Carroll
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
                Hi,

                I just picked up the porta-bote I bought from a neighbor. It's a 2006 model. The placard reads, in big letters, "Weight Capacity 570lbs.", but in smaller letters, but now I'm paraphrasing, since the bote is put away..."plus motor, fuel, etc...Total, 670lbs, including motor, 2HP maximum, max 56lbs."

                So, the 670lbs is correct, including motor, fuel and whatever else. The 570 is a max recommended passenger weight...

                Now, I just need to find some care and assembly instructions (although it seemed pretty easy to figure out. I folded it, no problem, in about 5 minutes.)

                Ricky
                Conroe, Texas

                portabot <sk@...> wrote:
                The 12' boat has had a 670 pound maximum capacity since late 1992. The
                introduction of the Genesis III series. The 10' model has always had a
                maximum capacity of 585 pounds since late 1992. The introduction of
                the Genesis III series.The 8' model has had a 445 pound maximum
                capacity since late 1992. The introduction of the Genesis III series.

                These Botes have been manufactured since 1969 and have had many design
                changes. In addition, Coast Guard requirements have changed over the
                years. Porta-Bote International has always complied with the latest
                requirements. Whenever a new model or modification were introduced,
                that model was tested by U.S. Coast Guard as well as JCI (Japan Coast
                Guard) and European equivalents plus other agencies around the world.
                Otherwise these boats could not have been sold.

                Perhaps you can upload a maximum capacity plate with a picture of the
                boat to which it is attached. Upload to sk@... so I'll
                receive it on my computer.

                Sandy

                --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "farisgood" <farisgood@...> wrote:

                > Portaboters,
                >
                > I noticed that the weight capacity for 12' bote is 670lbs on
                > portabote.com, while many botes, including '02 models, have a capacity
                > plate of 570lbs. I wonder if it's just a change of the way capacity is
                > labeled, or the newer botes really have more weight capacity? I know
                > that Sally or other portabote staff watch this group closely. So I am
                > asking this question here.
                >
                > David

              • David Wang
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Thanks to Ricky and Sandy. Later I noticed also that the smaller fonts say the 670 total weight.
                  David

                  boat to which it is attached. Upload to sk@portaboat. com so I'll
                  receive it on my computer.

                  Sandy

                  --- In PortaBote@yahoogrou ps.com, "farisgood" <farisgood@. ..> wrote:

                  > Portaboters,
                  >
                  > I noticed that the weight capacity for 12' bote is 670lbs on
                  > portabote.com, while many botes, including '02 models, have a capacity
                  > plate of 570lbs. I wonder if it's just a change of the way capacity is
                  > labeled, or the newer botes really have more weight capacity? I know
                  > that Sally or other portabote staff watch this group closely. So I am
                  > asking this question here.
                  >
                  > David

                • tomandjerry00
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 11, 2008
                    I hate to beat this topic to death, but I have a 1999 Gen III
                    porta-bote and have been trying to figure out the actual HP rating on
                    it. Is it 2 hp like it says on the plate, or is it 5hp like the new
                    ones and is it possible to get something official that says this?
                    Thanks a lot!

                    James

                    --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "portabot" <sk@...> wrote:

                    > The 12' boat has had a 670 pound maximum capacity since late 1992. The
                    > introduction of the Genesis III series. The 10' model has always had a
                    > maximum capacity of 585 pounds since late 1992. The introduction of
                    > the Genesis III series.The 8' model has had a 445 pound maximum
                    > capacity since late 1992. The introduction of the Genesis III series.
                    >
                    > These Botes have been manufactured since 1969 and have had many design
                    > changes. In addition, Coast Guard requirements have changed over the
                    > years. Porta-Bote International has always complied with the latest
                    > requirements. Whenever a new model or modification were introduced,
                    > that model was tested by U.S. Coast Guard as well as JCI (Japan Coast
                    > Guard) and European equivalents plus other agencies around the world.
                    > Otherwise these boats could not have been sold.
                    >
                    > Perhaps you can upload a maximum capacity plate with a picture of the
                    > boat to which it is attached. Upload to sk@... so I'll
                    > receive it on my computer.
                    >
                    > Sandy
                    >

                    > --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "farisgood" <farisgood@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Portaboters,
                    > >
                    > > I noticed that the weight capacity for 12' bote is 670lbs on
                    > > portabote.com, while many botes, including '02 models, have a
                    capacity
                    > > plate of 570lbs. I wonder if it's just a change of the way
                    capacity is
                    > > labeled, or the newer botes really have more weight capacity? I know
                    > > that Sally or other portabote staff watch this group closely. So I am
                    > > asking this question here.
                    > >
                    > > David

                  • jgwcricket1962
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 11, 2008