8 foot PortaBote info, please

  • deutscherkal
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      Hi,
      Mike K. here. I live on the New Jersey shore and am considering
      purchasing a Portabote.
      I looked at a used ( 2001 model, 12' ) in mint condition, with a 3HP
      Sears OB motor for $1100.00. I went home to discuss the purchase with
      my wife and....yup, too late...it was sold :(
      Anyway, I now have the oppurtunity to purchase a brand new 2002 8'
      model. Is there any difference between the 2001 & 2002 models? My
      wife & I ( combined weight about 300lbs ) ( my wife will like the way
      I worded that ;).. will use it only on calm lakes when we go tent
      camping. I was thinking of getting a Minn Kota Riptide electric motor
      too. My question is: Do you folks think that the 8' model is too
      small? Is the Minn Kota a good idea? ( I know that some lakes around
      here don't allow gas engines, and I do prefer the quiet of the
      electric one )..speed is really not a concern.
      Also, the 8' model would fit IN our mini-van, and if I wanted to go
      out by myself, or with my Labrador Retriever locally, it would be
      easier to handle by myself.
      Any advice regarding the boat and/or motor would be deeply
      appreciated.Oh yeah, would the 8' model be OK to use in the bay, and
      would the sail kit be good on that size bote?
      Thanks alot, Mike K. Great BB, Lots of useful info!
    • akalapa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2002