[California PortaBoters] Re: I submarined my boat today with only 2 foot waves

  • kc0lwn
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 2 8:51 AM
      I capsized in a small 8 foot porta bote. It was my fault since I
      placed the engine on one side of the boat while it was overloaded and
      attempted to get in. Also like an idiot wasnt wearing a flotation
      device. I simply hung on to the boat and kicked back to shore.
      toughest part was retriveing my submerged engine.
      In my 12 foot porta bote I attached flotation foam used in swimming
      pools under the seats with a plastic strap. I got the idea from this
      guy that attached two of these to the sides of the boat to use a pfd
      if he needed one. I dont think he was very smart there.

      I use the boat on small rivers/creeks for fishing and small lakes and
      reservoirs.

      --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Max Hozven" <max@...> wrote:

      > Just to add one more note on this thread....
      >
      > If you feel you run the risk of swamping your bote (going in/out of surf
      > or the other scenarios below) one possible
      >
      > safety measure is to get a small 12-volt battery hooked to an automatic
      > bilge-pump (secured inside the boat),
      >
      > hooked to a bilge-hose poking over the side of the bote.
      >
      > If the boat starts to fill up, the bilge should kick in without any
      > intervention from you, and should empty out.
      >
      > Searching the internet, I couldn't find any small D-cell bilges that
      > were automatic, so probably a 12-volt bilge
      >
      > plus small 12-volt battery is what you'd end up getting for this setup.
      > And again, you'd need to secure these
      >
      > well in the bote so they don't get washed-out, knocked-out, when you
      > most need them.
      >

      > -Max
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Herbert J. Hedstrom
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2 9:18 AM
        Having recently spent ten days in a rental car—a Chevy HHR, I can attest
        from recent that recent experience that different vehicles have different
        handling characteristics. Getting back into our Saturn Ion for the trip
        home from the airport felt like I was driving lying on my back—but the Ion
        does have a much smaller turning radius. But was one vehicle better?
        Worse? In some ways, but mostly just different. A Portabote has a
        pronounced V hull and a relatively low prow. It is going to handle
        differently from the aluminum river boats we saw in Oregon, and be more
        likely to submarine. Better? Worse? Sure, for different uses, but mostly
        just different. My bote folds; those river boats don’t. A Portabote isn’t
        as affected by the wind, but wouldn’t, I assume, be anywhere near as good
        running white water.
        I’ve noticed that on plane the Portabote (mine is a 14’) oversteers (in auto
        lingo) whereas a more flat bottomed boat understeers. So the Potabote will
        want to take a turn at speed much more sharply than a flat bottomed
        boat—they tend to slide to the side on turns whereas the Potabote tends to
        track a tight curve. Neither design is bad, but they are different and have
        different strengths and weaknesses.
        What it all amounts to is knowing what sort of boat you are using and using
        it appropriately, thoughtfully and, always, carefully. Understand the
        limits of your craft and don’t get into situations that exceed them.

        Herb H.

        Herbert J. Hedstrom
        hhedstrom@...

      • Walt Giesbrecht
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2 12:30 PM
          Excellent post, Herb, and right-on!

          I think the problem is that...humans being 'human' after all, we have this tendency to 'want it all'. So...we take a boat (bote) made for one set of circumstances....maybe primarily because of the portability of it....and then bend over backwards to try to make it do and be things that it was NEVER intended to be and do.....then we complain loudly and vociferously if/when it 'doesn't measure up'.

          Logical? Never. Predictable? Unfortunately....yes.

          Walt

          To: PortaBote@yahoogroups.comFrom: hhedstrom@...: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:18:35 -0500Subject: RE: [California PortaBoters] Re: I submarined my boat today with only 2 foot waves

          Having recently spent ten days in a rental car�a Chevy HHR, I can attestfrom recent that recent experience that different vehicles have differenthandling characteristics. Getting back into our Saturn Ion for the triphome from the airport felt like I was driving lying on my back�but the Iondoes have a much smaller turning radius. But was one vehicle better?Worse? In some ways, but mostly just different. A Portabote has apronounced V hull and a relatively low prow. It is going to handledifferently from the aluminum river boats we saw in Oregon, and be morelikely to submarine. Better? Worse? Sure, for different uses, but mostlyjust different. My bote folds; those river boats don�t. A Portabote isn�tas affected by the wind, but wouldn�t, I assume, be anywhere near as goodrunning white water.I�ve noticed that on plane the Portabote (mine is a 14�) oversteers (in autolingo) whereas a more flat bottomed boat understeers. So the Potabote willwant to take a turn at speed much more sharply than a flat bottomedboat�they tend to slide to the side on turns whereas the Potabote tends totrack a tight curve. Neither design is bad, but they are different and havedifferent strengths and weaknesses.What it all amounts to is knowing what sort of boat you are using and usingit appropriately, thoughtfully and, always, carefully. Understand thelimits of your craft and don�t get into situations that exceed them.Herb H.Herbert J. Hedstromhhedstrom@...[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Blazingstar
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2 7:37 PM
            Sandy, you are of course human and I do personally understand your overreaction. True or not, such a statement about a product I sold would have floored me, too. We humans are becoming more and more suspicious of each thanks to the crazy world we live in today. It really is hard to not overreact when torpedos seem to be coming our way. paz

            portabot <sk@...> wrote: Strangely enough, I agree about emailing Barry in private. The first
            thing we did was try to find "Barry's" email address. And, I also
            agree I over reacted. But, when you spend a half a lifetime building a
            craft that would only sink if an elephant (or so) were placed in the
            hull and you see a remark like that, well....Yes, I over reacted.

            We had a similar instance several years ago when someone in a
            different group reported that two (not one) persons drowned while
            boating in a Porta-Bote in Canada. Apparently there were very high
            winds and rough seas.

            It took a lot of digging. But we found that it was a 12' aluminum boat
            with no flotation that went down. There apparently was a Porta-Bote on
            the lake that day also. But, it got back safely. The Northwest Mounted
            Police furnished the information to us.

            I apologize to the group for being a human being with probably too
            strong feelings about Porta-Bote's well earned reputation.

            I will admit there are times when I have read a post or two and had to
            bite my tongue. Fortunately, there are enough folks in the club who
            usually can straighten out an individual who goes overboard one way or
            the other.

            Proof? It happened today.

            Sandy

            P.S. Our attorneys agree.

            --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Don Krauss" <donkrauss@...> wrote:

            > The Titanic was supposedly unsinkable... Thus it doesn[t really
            depend on the design, but more on the situation.

            > I think this dialogue should have occurred in private until the
            facts are known. Portabote has declared that one should not bad mouth
            the portabote or expect a lawsuit.

            > Our civil liberties are being challenged, this is very profound
            especially in an international forum.

            > DK

            Sent by Ruben

          • Blazingstar

              Barry said "I know of two cases in Australia". Not, "I think" or
              "there may have been", " I heard from a third party", etc. These are
              serious accusations. The boat wouldn't have sunk even full of water.
              We've been told over the years that Porta-Bote has actually saved
              owners' lives when it swamped. We've worked very hard over the past 32
              years to build an ultra safe boat. Until this post we could state that
              no one has ever lost their life due to Porta-Bote.

              This came as a complete shock.

              Ironically, Porta-Bote is used as a rescue vessel around the world
              because of it's stability and extreme puncture resistance.

              Click on: http://www.porta-bote.com/rescue.html

              An apology will also suffice from Barry if, in fact this was just an
              offhand remark and has no basis in fact. Otherwise, we need to know
              about these instances.

              Sandy Kaye

              --- In PortaBote@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Allen" <barry_allen@...> wrote:

              > Erik,
              >
              > I know of two cases in Australia where the 12' PBs were swamped in
              the beach
              > break when attempting to get to shore.
              >
              > In one case a person drowned and in the other a person got a broken
              leg.

              > Regards
              >
              > Barry
              >

              > _____

              Sent by Ruben

            • graydumbo
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 3 5:11 PM
                I think he knows the cases.

                wrote:

                > My apologies Sandy,
                >
                > This statement was no reflection on the safety of the Porta-Bote
                but an
                > observation on people going out in conditions that the boat was not
                built
                > for.
                >
                > I didn't mean to open a minefield.
                >
                > My point was not to go out in big waves.
                >
                > I only have the details of the broken leg.
                >
                > In the first instant the boat was tipped over in the beach break at
                Harvey
                > Bay and one person was trapped under the boat The information was
                given to
                > me on a trip by another traveler so I have no way of verifying
                it..

                > The second case happened a couple of months ago in Tasmania. The
                boat
                > swamped in the beach break. The lady jumped out and the boat ran
                into her
                > breaking her leg. My mate was one of the eight men who dragged the
                boat out
                > full of water.
                >
                > Neither of these were any fault of the porta bote and would have
                happened in
                > any small boat.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Barry
                >

                > _____

                Police.

                > > Just thought you'd like to know....LOL! I assume the other
                > information was accurate, so just chalk it up to the vast lack of
                > information south of the 49th Parallel concerning our great frozen
                > wasteland here in 'Canada'!
                > > Walt
                > >

                > > To: PortaBote@: sk@: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:36:50 +0000Subject:
                > [California PortaBoters] Re: I submarined my boat today with only 2
                > foot waves
                > >

                > > Strangely enough, I agree about emailing Barry in private. The
                > firstthing we did was try to find "Barry's" email address. And, I
                > alsoagree I over reacted. But, when you spend a half a lifetime
                > building acraft that would only sink if an elephant (or so) were
                > placed in thehull and you see a remark like that, well....Yes, I
                over
                > reacted.We had a similar instance several years ago when someone in
                > adifferent group reported that two (not one) persons drowned
                > whileboating in a Porta-Bote in Canada. Apparently there were very
                > highwinds and rough seas.It took a lot of digging. But we found that
                > it was a 12' aluminum boatwith no flotation that went down. There
                > apparently was a Porta-Bote onthe lake that day also. But, it got
                back
                > safely. The Northwest MountedPolice furnished the information to
                us.I
                > apologize to the group for being a human being with probably
                toostrong
                > feelings about Porta-Bote's well earned reputation.I will admit
                there
                > are times when I have read a post or two and had tobite my tongue.
                > Fortunately, there are enough folks in the club whousually can
                > straighten out an individual who goes overboard one way orthe
                > other.Proof? It happened today.SandyP.S. Our attorneys agree.--- In
                > PortaBote@yahoogrou <mailto:PortaBote%40yahoogroups.com>
                ps.com, "Don
                > Krauss" <donkrauss@> wrote:>> The
                > Titanic was supposedly unsinkable... Thus it doesn[t reallydepend on
                > the design, but more on the situation.> > I think this dialogue
                should
                > have occurred in private until thefacts are known. Portabote has
                > declared that one should not bad mouththe portabote or expect a
                > lawsuit.> > Our civil liberties are being challenged, this is very
                > profoundespecially in an international forum.> > DK> > > -----
                > Original Message ----- > From: portabot > To:
                > PortaBote@yahoogrou <mailto:PortaBote%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com >
                Sent: